Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22692 - 04/26/05 12:47 PM 2 subs b/w SACD and 5.1 receiver
RJeff Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cherry Hill, NJ USA
I'd like to hook my 2 Velodyne powered subs up to my surround set up using my ICBM. (Currently the ICBM is between my Philips SACD and my Rotel receiver.)
Should I feed the subs directly from the ICBM's stereo sub outputs, or run an IC back to the Subwoofer input on my receiver (Rotel 972) and out to the subs using a Y connector?
If both are do-able, are there plusses and minuses to eachof them? Or is one of them just wrong? confused
Thanks
Jeff

#22693 - 04/26/05 01:04 PM Re: 2 subs b/w SACD and 5.1 receiver
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm assuming that there is no separate power amp downstream of the Rotel receiver. Based on that, here are the options that occur to me.

Option 1: run single interconnect from ICBM sub output to Rotel's sub input, split Rotel's sub output to feed both subs. This allows you to have both subs in use with all sources, but you will have a mono sub signal in all cases.

Option 2: connect the subs directly to the ICBM. This will allow you to use the ICBM's stereo sub output (which may offer some sonic benefits if the subs are located adjacent to the left and right mains), but will leave you with no subs at all for sources other than SACD.

Option 3: Run the stereo sub outputs of the ICBM to one input of an analog audio switchbox (these can be had very inexpensively from Radio Shack), split the Rotel's sub output into two signals and connect to a second input of the same switchbox, and connect the switchbox's outputs to the two subwoofers. This would give you stereo subs with SACD and dual mono subs with other sources, but it would require you to switch between "ICBM subs" and "Rotel subs" depending on the source being listened to.

I'd disregard option 2 (feeding the subs directly from the ICBM) since it leaves you with no subs for most sources. I'd probably go with option 1 if it were me (the wye connector at the Rotel's subwoofer output). If you want to gain the ability to do stereo subs for SACD, though, you could consider option 3 - it'll add a bit more complexity to switching to or from SACD's.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts