Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22603 - 08/26/04 05:33 AM one more question please...
heavyd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have the 12 audio interconnects for use with my ICBM (coming Friday). My question deals with the directional arrows on the cables... The ICBM will connect a receiver and a DVD player. Should I arrange the cables so that the directional arrows point into the ICBM, or into the receiver and DVD player? This is my last question - hopefully. I really appreciate the input (thanks gonk).

#22604 - 08/26/04 07:31 AM Re: one more question please...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Direction arrows should follow the path of the signal, so the first set of six cables would have the arrows pointing from DVD player to ICBM and the second set would have the arrows pointing from ICBM to receiver.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#22605 - 08/26/04 10:52 AM Re: one more question please...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Without arrows, the electrons would become confused and not know the direction they are supposed to march in.

#22606 - 08/26/04 12:31 PM Re: one more question please...
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Man Oh Man, are we in trouble now.

In order for the momentary positive portion of an alternating signal to reach the pre/pro from a source, some electrons are going to momentarily move away from the pre/pro in the center conductor of an unbalanced interconnect. So, if the arrow points toward the pre/pro from a source, does that indicate the momentary electron flow in the center conductor in the direction of the arrow during the negative portion of the alternating signal? Or does the arrow indicate electron flow in the shield during the positive portion of the alternating signal? Should the arrow change directions depending on which portion of the alternating signal is occurring?

Do the electrons become confused, or do we?

Before anyone gets upset, please don’t take what I just said seriously!

Or are we talking about a twisted pair carrying the signal with a shield around the pair but connected on one end and lifted on the other end? If so, does the arrow point to the end where the shield is connected?

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited August 26, 2004).]

#22607 - 08/26/04 12:42 PM Re: one more question please...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Do we dare turn the cables around and force the electrons to march backwards? Are we brave enough?? Do you feel lucky today - well do you, punk???

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited August 26, 2004).]

#22608 - 08/26/04 08:36 PM Re: one more question please...
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Does this mean I've been listening to everything in reverse?

#22609 - 08/26/04 08:54 PM Re: one more question please...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
Does this mean I've been listening to everything in reverse?

Unfortunately, yes.

#22610 - 08/26/04 10:13 PM Re: one more question please...
JulioCat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chilpancingo, Gro. Mexico
So the signal will be out of phase if i put one cable in one direcction and the other in the opposite, or could these cause a potential ground loop?

I was thinking if these arrows would help to send the electrons to avoid the electric meter....

#22611 - 08/26/04 11:24 PM Re: one more question please...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by JulioCat:
So the signal will be out of phase if i put one cable in one direcction and the other in the opposite, or could these cause a potential ground loop?

I was thinking if these arrows would help to send the electrons to avoid the electric meter....

If the arrows are placed head to head, that is, end to end with the arrows facing each other, dead center, there will be created a virtual ground circuit: at that point all electron activity will cease.

In the cold war era, it was discovered that the Russians had planned to rewire our country's power grid in this fashon and thus bring the country to a grinding halt. Fortunately the plot was uncovered by the very same person who later went into business creating interconnects with arrows.

True story....

Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts