Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22572 - 04/22/04 03:56 PM ICBM (Magnepan Version)
tlee Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have a good deal to buy an ICBM Magnepan version, but I'm not using Magnepan speakers. Does the Mag version work properly for other speakers?

#22573 - 04/22/04 04:22 PM Re: ICBM (Magnepan Version)
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
My understanding about the Magnepan version of the ICBM is that it's crossover frequency selection covers a higher range of frequencies than the regular version of the ICBM. As to whether or not the crossover slopes are different, I don't know.

So if the Magnepan version has crossover frequencies that work for you, then the Magnepan edition might be woth considering. Electrically, there should be no problems, but acousticly, the slopes and crossover frequency may work or may not. If possible, see if the owner will let you try it out befor you purchase it, or will let you return it if it doesn't work for you.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#22574 - 04/22/04 04:33 PM Re: ICBM (Magnepan Version)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Magnepan edition uses a different group of crossover points; the points are higher than those used on a standard ICBM. I don't recall right now what the adjusted numbers are (the standard model offers 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, and bypass). You might ask the seller what the available settings are. It'll depend somewhat on your speakers -- if you were planning to set the crossover for your mains at 40Hz, the Maggie edition would not work for you. If the settings available look like they'll work with your speakers' frequency responses, then it would work just fine.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#22575 - 04/22/04 05:46 PM Re: ICBM (Magnepan Version)
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I remember reading the the "Magnepan" version of the ICBM just doubled the normal crossover frequencies. The lowest setting would then be 80hz and the highest would be 240hz.

Here's a quote from a "Soundstage" review of a Magneplanar system that states this:

Quote:
Still, the problem remained that Magnepan needed to find a solution for filling in the gap between most surround processors’ standard 80Hz filter and the MGCC2’s octave-higher 160Hz limit. Magnepan went to Internet-based Outlaw Audio and negotiated for the creation of a Magneplanar-specific version of Outlaw’s Integrated Controlled Bass Manager (ICBM). Purchased separately for $325, the Maggie-specific ICBM offers a selectable high-pass-filtered center-channel output appropriate for use with the MGCC2. With selectable filter settings as high as 240Hz (the frequency labels on the ICBM are unchanged from the regular version, but Magneplanar owners will know that actual values are double those noted on the ICBM panel), the ICBM actually filters out the bass frequencies that would be destined for the MGCC2 and "recombines" those filtered frequencies into the front right and left speakers (recommended to retain the proper timbre and center imaging), or directs them to a subwoofer, or directs them to both. Outlaw Audio’s standard ICBM is a full-featured bass-management system that is extremely flexible and sonically transparent. As discussed by Jeff Fritz in his SoundStage! review, it is just about mandatory for multichannel DVD-A and SACD music systems given the horrendous omission of any kind of bass management.

Here's the link for the full review:
www.soundstage.com/revequip/magnepan_mgmc1_mgcc2.htm

#22576 - 04/22/04 05:56 PM Re: ICBM (Magnepan Version)
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello All,

The crossover points are double on the center channel only. All other channels use the same crossover points as the standard units.

Best,

Scott

#22577 - 06/27/04 04:15 PM Re: ICBM (Magnepan Version)
Rotorhead Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
Scott is absolutely right here. I have a Magnepan Edition ICBM, which I used with a CC1 center channel. The MGCC1 has little response below 150Hz, which is why the Magnepan Edition was custom-designed for this speaker with a higher crossover in the center channel. As far as I can tell, there is no difference in the crossover slopes or any other aspect of the ICBM's (excellent) performance.

Because of mulitple blown fuses on my CC1 (from very loud center channel transients on movie soundtracks at high volume), I wound up pulling it and putting my old Velodyne center back in. The ICBM works beautifully, but the lowest crossover that I can use for the center channel is 80Hz (2X the 40Hz shown on the center channel crossover knob). That's just OK with me, since my center should be crossed over there anyway. However, if you have a higher-performance center channel that works well down into the 50-60 Hz range, the Magnepan Edition wouldn't be an ideal solution. As far as I can tell, the only reason to get a Magnepan edition would be if you used a Magnepan CC1 or CC1, or had a different center channel that you wanted to cross at 80, 120, 160, 180, 200 or 240Hz. If you have a full-range center channel (40Hz or below), you could always just put the center selector on the ICBM in bypass with no ill effect. The newest Magnepan Center, the CC3, operates down to 80Hz, so a standard ICBM would work fine. The MMG-C (direct mail from Magnepan), operates down to 100Hz, so a normal ICBM would be perfect there, too.

In case you're wondering about the Magnepan CC1, it has phenomenal detail and works very well with my MG 1.6s, but is clearly overworked for very dynamic movie soundtracks at high volume. It is an excellent choice for SACD / DVD-A playback, but gives up the ghost when asked to deal with sharp, wide-frequency transients in action movies. In all other situations, it is beautiful. In the vast majority of soundtracks, it never had any problem. The difficulty arises when you listen to movies with extremely wide dynamic ranges, combining softer dialogue with loud transients hard-mixed to the center channel. I found that it would pop the max allowable 4Amp slow-blow fuse during explosions, impacts, etc. in movies like Gladiator, Return of the King, etc. If it was happening once every few weeks, I wouln't worry about it, but two or three times in the same film is a pain in the keester. Of course, I could always just turn the volume down or limit the dynamic range on my processor, but where's the fun in that?! Hey - I moved out of an apartment and bought a house mostly so I could listen to my stereo as loud as I wanted to, which shows you where my priorities lie!

It wasn't a problem while I was driving it with my Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver, since there just wasn't enough power to drive it that hard before the amp clipped. When I went to a separates (B&K Ref 30 and an M200 driving the center), it just couldn't handle it. The Ref 30 has replaced the ICBM in HT bass management duties, due to it's excellent notch filter and processing, but the ICBM is still the much better choice for multi-channel SACD and DVD-A bass management. I'm a HUGE fan of Magnepans in the rest of the system, with MG 1.6qr in the front and MMGs as surrounds, but the CC1 is a bit of a disappointment here. I'm curious to see if anyone owning a CC3 or MMG-C has had a similar problem, since I've been tempted to move my CC1 to the rear center and get a better front than my Velodyne. Any Outlaws out there have an opinion?

#22578 - 07/12/04 03:11 PM Re: ICBM (Magnepan Version)
tchapman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Leicester MA, USA
I am expecting two MMG-Ws later this month. They have the same frequency range and power handling capabilities as the MMG-C, though they are flat. I'm purchasing them for my father to start his own system, but at the same time am checking them out to determine whether I want to pair them with my 1.6s as my surrounds or to go with the bigger MC1. I'll also be testing one of them in the center just to get an idea of how the MMG-C might do. I'll try to remember to post my experience here after I get them and review them.

#22579 - 08/09/04 05:35 PM Re: ICBM (Magnepan Version)
SPLITTAILZ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: MIAMI, FL USA
I AM CURRENTLY OVERHAULING MY HOME THEATER. HAVE BEEN A MAGNEPAN OWNER FOR YEARS, 2.6 FRONTS, CC1 CENTER, AND MMG SURROUNDS. I AM CURRENTLY GIVING THE MMG'S TO MY OLDEST DAUGHTER, MIGHT AS WELL GET HER HOOKED ON THE FLAT SPEAKERS TOO, AND REPLACING THE SURROUNDS WITH THE NEW MMG-C CENTER CHANNELS SUSPENDED FROM THE CEILING. PROCESSOR IS A YAMAHA RXV-2095, AMPS ARE 2 ADCOM 5503'S, MY OLD GEAR STILL SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD. I HAVE PURCHASED THE MAGNEPAN ICBM. I DO NEED A SUGGESTION FOR THE SUBWOOFER, WANT TO REPLACE THE VELODYNE 10 I PRESENTLY HAVE. BTW THE SUB RUNS FROM THE 6TH CHANNEL OF THE AMPS, NOT RCA CABLE. I'LL POST AGAIN WHEN FINISHED WITH THE RESULTS IN A COUPLE WEEKS WHEN FINISHED. BUT, ANY SUB SUGGESTIONS?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts