Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22457 - 05/01/03 01:42 PM Connecting subs directly to the ICBM
rsaavedr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Pensacola, FL
Has anyone tried connecting the subs directly to the sub outs of the ICBM instead of to the receiver's?

I did this yesterday and the bass sounds noticeably punchier, faster and cleaner, than when the bass signal goes through my receiver. With this connection I lose the volume master control of the receiver of course, the bass volume now gets independently handled by the ICBM's volume knob. So if I want to change the volume, then re-calibration and re-balancing is required, so that's an issue. But at least so far the better defined bass I get seems to make up for it.

I recently got an Aperion Audio S-8APR to combine it with my Paradigm PDR-12, and tried this connection scheme yesterday after a suggestion from Aperion Audio's tech support when I told them I had an ICBM. I would like to know if some of you guys have tried it, or if you haven't but you do now, what your perceptions are about how the clarity, speed, and punchiness of the bass feels.

My system:
Sony-DVP NS500V DVD/SACD/Cd player
Outlaw's ICBM
Marantz SR-4000 receiver
Paradigm Titan fronts
Paradigm CC170 center
Paradigm Atom rears
Paradigm PDR-12 subwoofer
Aperion Audio S-8APR subwoofer

[This message has been edited by rsaavedr (edited May 01, 2003).]

#22458 - 05/11/03 03:09 AM Re: Connecting subs directly to the ICBM
2x6spds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Newport Beach, CA, USA
So, do you get any sub output from sources other than your CD/DVD player?

I finally got my outboard 5 channel amp in place so I could hook twin subs into the stereo outputs of the ICBM. Results? Very unsatisfying. I haven't calibrated the system, or checked whether it may sound better with phase reversed in either or both of the subs, but so far, not happy.

System:

Onkyo 797THX as preamp/processor
Anthem PVA-5 amp
Philips SACD1000
Outlaw ICBM-1

Michaura M665 towers (Front L/R) Axiom made
Klipsch KLF-C7 gigantic center speaker
Michaura M66 side surrounds

Klipsch LF10 1640 watt 10" sub
Velodyne CHT10 10" sub

I put the Outlaw between the Onkyo receiver-preamp and the Anthem PVA-5 amplifier. Subs connected to Outlaw stereo sub outs.

Question for Outlaw gurus, how should the back selectors of the Outlaw be set to get the most out of this setup?

#22459 - 05/11/03 04:54 PM Re: Connecting subs directly to the ICBM
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
I have a Sony receiver that I use as a pre-pro. It is set up for 4 "large" speakers (no center yet) and no subwoofer. It feeds the multichannel bypass input of my Sony TA-P9000es preamp.

The output of the Sony TA-P9000es feeds the input of ICBM. The output of the ICBM drives my subamp and my front and rear amps.

I think that this setup is the best sounding of what is possible with this equipment. It even sounds good with music.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#22460 - 05/11/03 09:20 PM Re: Connecting subs directly to the ICBM
2x6spds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Newport Beach, CA, USA
Hi Paul

I have mine hooked up similarly. Preamp outputs from Onkyo into ICBM, ICBM outputs into outboard 5 channel amplifier, ICBM sub outputs into amplified subwoofers.

I have the Onkyo preamp speaker settings set to LARGE for all speakers.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts