Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22403 - 02/09/03 08:44 AM Is the ICBM really the fix for SACD/DVD-A?
Mike Sloan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I have a question regarding the ICBM and how it "fixes" the BM problem in regard to DVD-A and SACD. I've read numerous discussions/articles on how the LFE channel on DVD-A was 15 db to low. One article was from a Denon rep.(been a while, so can't remember who). However, on Denon's new models, the AVR-3803 and AVR-5803, an external 7.1 subwoofer setup level was added. It can be set at 0, +5, +10, or +15db. This is in addition to the regular 7.1 channel level controls. It's default setting is a +15 db boost and is 'recommended'.

So Denon's statement earlier matched their design later. For that reason, I have to conclude that there is a 15 db decrease in the LFE output of DVD-A(and perhaps SACD). Seems besides the lack of correct bass management in DVD-A players, there's also an incorrect LFE level. Since the ICBM only has the capability to LOWER the LFE...are we stuck here. Please correct me if my assumptions are not valid. I have ordered the ICBM and would like it to fix everything. I have a feeling that Outlaw will incorporate a boost in the LFE trim in the future???!!!

#22404 - 02/10/03 07:54 PM Re: Is the ICBM really the fix for SACD/DVD-A?
Mike Sloan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Well i just finished a full day of tweaking and fiddling with the ICBM and I can say that it fixes 98% of the problems I have been experiencing with DVD-A and SACD! I was worried that the inability to "increase" the LFE was going to be a problem...but it isn't. Out of my entire collection of hi-rez audio (over 50 and growing) only 3-4 actually utilize the LFE channel. Almost all the mixes don't use the LFE and blend most of the bass into the L/R channels. A few send low freq. to the rears...but not substantial. One SACD in particular went waaaay over the top with the LFE and I almost blew my subs. It is the SACD "Celebrating the music of Weather Report." I actually wrote a warning on the CD case to turn the LFE all the way down! Anyone else familiar with that disc? I have full range speakers for the L/R and have found the "recombine" switch fun to play with...probably won't use it once I get tired of shaking things up! I currently have the Elite DV-45A and it does have speaker distance setting for DVD-A but nothing for SACD. I don't know of any players that have distance settings for SACD. All in all, very satisfied with the ICBM....wish it had remote capability! Now I have to dig deep for cables...probably go for the Outlaw PCA's...look substantial!

#22405 - 02/11/03 02:51 PM Re: Is the ICBM really the fix for SACD/DVD-A?
Dave Duvall Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sloan:
Now I have to dig deep for cables...probably go for the Outlaw PCA's...look substantial!

Not trying to steer you away from our host's cables, but I found Audioquest Diamondhead to be a good choice in my system for not a ton of bucks. I had to buy quite a few to hook up my Marantz DV8300/B&K Reference 30/Outlaw ICBM setup.

See ya. Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Duvall (edited February 11, 2003).]

#22406 - 02/11/03 04:31 PM Re: Is the ICBM really the fix for SACD/DVD-A?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Have you thought about reversing your reference settings? Such as setting up your system with the no bass attenuation for SACD/DVD-A playback and then adding bass attenuation for DVD playback. It should allow you to get close to the settings you're looking for with the current ICBM.

Just a thought.

#22407 - 02/14/03 08:46 PM Re: Is the ICBM really the fix for SACD/DVD-A?
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

Mike and Dave, if you are into saving a ton of bucks and think you can handle making your own cables, these are great, and will cost about $7 per 1 meter cable after shipping! Not difficult at all to assemble and the lengths are exact this way. MCM sells the cable, part #50-2170 for around $8 for 25feet, and connections are $2.21 ea. (part # 50-2140 for black, and #50-2135 for red)

http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-cables.html

check the same cable out here for $100 for a one meter pair !

http://www.audionut.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=2

I should add that if anyone decides to make these cables there is an easier method than that described on the above site. Trying to slide the gold plated insert over the folded back outer braided wire is next to impossible. The below method will give a compression fit for the outer wire, is a lot easier to do, and I believe this was how they were intended to be used.
After stripping the outer insulation and sliding the threaded end cap AND the gold plated insert on to the outer insulation, you then bunch upthe braided wire by sliding it down towards the insulation. This will create a dam for the inserts shoulder to compress against. Do the rest as described. ALWAYS test your wires for a possible short with a continuity meter before using.

One other thing. These plugs grip the male RCA,s like there is no tomorrow, so get the location right the first time ! You'll need a buddy holding your components front panel as you push these on. Not reccomended for those that continuously move their interconnects !

[This message has been edited by Kiwi (edited February 20, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts