Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22387 - 01/24/03 10:29 PM Any thoughts on putting an ICBM between Preamp and Amp?
Haywood Jablomi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ocala, FL
I am using a Marantz SR-7000 receiver as a pre/pro with a Marantz MM-9000 5-channel power amp. In addition to the lack of bass management on the 5.1 channel input, I am unhappy with the bass management options on the receiver as a whole. I have been thinking about setting all the speakers to Large and putting an ICBM and between the receiver and the amp. Any thoughts?

------------------
Scott Curtis

#22388 - 01/25/03 09:55 AM Re: Any thoughts on putting an ICBM between Preamp and Amp?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It is certainly an option. In fact, the manual suggests it as one possible arrangement for the ICBM on page 5.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#22389 - 01/29/03 08:55 AM Re: Any thoughts on putting an ICBM between Preamp and Amp?
edc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I will be doing exactly that. I have a Denon 3300 that I will be using as a pre/pro (until I get a 950!) and a pair of H/K 4000's for the amps (due in tomorrow). I intend to use the ICBM in the middle and use it for all bass mgmt. I believe that the flexibility afforded by the ICBM is the way to go even though some of the newer pre/pros (like 950) have pretty sophisticated BM built in (at least on the digital side, fixed 80hz xover on analog for all smalls).

#22390 - 01/29/03 06:45 PM Re: Any thoughts on putting an ICBM between Preamp and Amp?
Haywood Jablomi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The flexibility of the ICBM is one of the attractions. My receiver has a 100hz crossover point for the small setting, which is too high. My mains are somewhere between a typical bookshelf and a floorstanding speaker in bass response with on axis response to 59hz and extension to 34hz. The receiver places me in the dilema of either losing bass or not using my speakers to their full potential. Even my center and surrounds have on axis response down to 70, which would make an 80hz crossover ideal. The 5-channel inputs aren't the only place I lose bass managment either. When I use the Direct Analog mode, I lose crossover to the sub along with the rest of the signal processing. An ICBM would allow me to set a 60hz crossover on my mains and a 75hz crossover on my center and rears that would always be in effect. I find that idea very appealing.

#22391 - 01/30/03 03:14 PM Re: Any thoughts on putting an ICBM between Preamp and Amp?
edc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The answer is rather obvious .... get it. There is NOTHING available that will give you the flexibilty that the ICBM has in doing BM on both analog & digital sources.

#22392 - 01/31/03 09:03 AM Re: Any thoughts on putting an ICBM between Preamp and Amp?
Haywood Jablomi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The only question in my mind at this point is whether to do that or buy a Model 950.

#22393 - 02/02/03 10:47 AM Re: Any thoughts on putting an ICBM between Preamp and Amp?
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

I'm in the same boat. I have to decide whether to place the ICBM between the SACD player and 950, or between the 950 and 755. The ICBM has a lot more flexibility than the 950, as mentioned above, and unless you have all full range speakers, the latter seems to be the best solution to getting the most from what you have. I went with it, but this does add greatly to the jungle behind your system. Also, if you use good coax, you'll likely spend more on those than the ICBM costs !
The flexibility for subwoofer use (36db crossover slope is a personal favorite) is worth the price of admission alone. I bridged my old Adcom 555II to mono and drive a passive sub with that.
I cannot help thinking though that I'm missing something with positioning the ICBM between pro and amp.
Anyone?

#22394 - 02/02/03 12:33 PM Re: Any thoughts on putting an ICBM between Preamp and Amp?
Barney Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin,Texas,US
I'm in the same "boat" as Haywood Jablomi is. I'm using an old Marantz SR880 (no DTS, PLII, etc). My fixed crossover is 100hz also, my mains are Towers 33hz-22khz.
I know...first get the 950...new you guys would say that......but would the ICBM be worth the cost of its benefits, or is the 950's BM all I would need?

By the way, Howdy Scott, I'm just about made up my mind on the 950...sounds so sweet.

------------------
Hook'em Horns

#22395 - 02/02/03 02:53 PM Re: Any thoughts on putting an ICBM between Preamp and Amp?
Haywood Jablomi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm starting to lean toward getting an ICBM now and holding off on the pre/pro for awhile. The 950 lacks a couple features I want, including zone 2 video output.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts