Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#22248 - 09/25/05 01:08 AM Re: Ad Contest
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
I like the idea of the ad (Who better to use than the original outlaw) but agree with a few others in that the ad looks cheesy. Maybe have the hat attached to a tree with an arrow rather than resting on the 1070.

I would also mention something about customer support. That, even more than price, is what keeps me an outlaw.

#22249 - 09/25/05 08:09 AM Re: Ad Contest
Mojo04345 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Maine
I think that this Robin Hood theme can open an entire campaign for other Outlaw products while using this "famous Outlaws of the past" idea. Jesse James buying a 990, never getting a steal like that ever before.... Butch and Sundance with a 7125, maybe even Dirty Harry with a 2150. This much quality at such low prices makes everyone that buys one an Outlaw.

#22250 - 09/25/05 01:20 PM Re: Ad Contest
mookdoc6 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Antioch Il
Outlaw is a name Brand. It is a brand that you sell your not selling a theme. Denon,Yamaha,Onkyo,Pioneer,Sony are all brands that have name recognition. That is what your selling name recognition. In 64 point letterhead on top of the page should read OUTLAWAUDIO.COM Tout the highly anticipated arrival of this versitlile receiver. Clean crisp pictures of front and Back necessary. Maybe use a picture of the inside guts as a backdrop. Have some quotes from theater mags touting the quality,construction,price structure. HT magazine quotes of the excellent customer satisfaction Outlaw provides. Features you want to list would be the PC,Digital TV tuner, and latest audio formats. Drop the theme and keep putting the ads out invest resources into the internet site advertise the internet site on your ads the rest will follow. The Outlaws opening up a q/a on there ad campaing is a testament to there cutomers. Thanks Mookdoc6

#22251 - 09/25/05 07:13 PM Re: Ad Contest
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
"We're men. We're men in tights."

I am someone who reads the HT and stereo magazines regularly and I have to say that this ad falls pretty short. It does not convey a strong, confident, sexy image.
Outlaw Audio, to me, is a rugged cowboy, an American trailblazer who answers to no one. Your target demographic is 99% masculine and they all want to have 'manly' equipment. While we all know here that Outlaw makes quality stuff, the goal of an ad is to catch the eye of the uninitiated and to convert them in order to build the bottom line.
I say change it to a cowboy hat and a six shooter and you may be on to something.

#22252 - 09/26/05 10:13 AM Re: Ad Contest
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I agree with needing a rear panel pic. The hat kinda leaves me cold. When you think outlaw, you think of breaking laws. The law of price to performance has not just been broken, it has been gunned down in true Outlaw fashion!

Stay with the cowboy theme. Sherwood comes to mind looking at the Robin Hood theme.

#22253 - 09/26/05 12:17 PM Re: Ad Contest
Bobbski Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Illinois
I agree with Mike in Virginia. The OSD on component outputs is a plus, but unnecessary. It makes you question what other info is/isn't displayed where. Most people want the video transcoding and is a show-stopper if it isn't there for new receivers.

#22254 - 09/26/05 01:34 PM Re: Ad Contest
Tito Rules Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia
QUICK SUGGESTIONS:
You should include a back image of the 1070. Don’t underestimate the power of those binding posts.

The 1070’s display looks blurry in the picture. You probably shouldn’t emphasize this “feature” of the 1070 in the ad.

MY BIG CRITIQUE:
The Robin Hood theme and the text of the ad argue that the 1070 is a great deal, even a steal. But there are many good receivers (e.g. receivers by HK and Yamaha) that cost less than $899 and offer most of the features listed in the sidebar. For example, the HK 435 has nearly identical power specs (same WPC, all channels driven, but lower THD) and offers room EQ for <$600 street. It just isn’t accurate to claim that $899 is “hardly enough to buy a fully-featured, high-performance 7.1 channel A/V receiver.”

If the ad’s primary message is that the 1070 is a great deal at $899, then your primary competition will be NAD and Rotel. If this is the intended market, then you need to emphasize build quality, reliability, and professional reviews. You will also need to clarify that “[w]e design our own products and offer them directly to you” means that Outlaw’s direct internet approach allows you to offer high-quality components for less money than traditional B&M competitors.

It would also help to emphasize the 1070's unique features. The unique features of the 1070 at this price point are DVI SWITCHING and ANALOG BASS MANAGEMENT. Make these features stand out. Bold them, if necessary. Show the back panel of the 1070, so that readers will see the unusual DVI inputs and stop to investigate them. Show a close-up of the bass management toggle switch, so that readers will see how flexible bass management on the 1070 actually is.

FINALLY:
The Robin Hood theme might work if the background of the ad shows an audio salesman with “MIDDLE MAN” across his chest pinned to a tree by arrows, while the 1070 with the Robin Hood hat remains proudly in the foreground.

#22255 - 09/26/05 01:46 PM Re: Ad Contest
Lonster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eureka CA.
Many good points already made above.
While I like the color and layout of the Robin Hood ad, I do think you can be as creative with a true Outlaw theme (i.e.: cowboy/gunslinger, etc.).
I ALWAYS like to see a picture of the back of the unit, even if it is at a reduced size. This lets a potential consumer know that there are plenty of input/outputs available, and what type.
Regardless of personal preference, this ad DID catch my eye and made me read it. Just not quite enough POP! to hook me completely.

Lonster

#22256 - 09/26/05 01:53 PM Re: Ad Contest
ronrags Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
I think this ad has gotta go especially the theme of Robin Hood. You guys are a top notch company especially your customer support so there is no need to associate with a theme other than your products speak for itself. I would highlight your original logo plus show a front and rear panel pic.

What sets Outlaw apart from the competion is:

-the 30 day at home trial

-products that are comparable to others at 2x the price

-all your products are well constructed

-all your products have great reviews professionally and from customers

-A great support staff both on-line and on the phone that are knowledgable, friendly and always helpful

-A forum with very knowledgable and helpful customers

These points set you apart and that's what makes you Outlaws, not a hat or a past character.

#22257 - 09/26/05 01:56 PM Re: Ad Contest
cylinder283 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

First off, I thought the overall concept of the ad was fine. Outlaw already has a wild west/gunslinger motif going on, so I don't think there's anything wrong with using a Robin Hood theme for a change.

I also liked the layout. The hat was fine, and the forest trail graphic was a good idea as capturing the Robin Hood spirit. However, I agree with those who thought the main Celtic (or whatever) font was a little hard to read. I think the letters need to be spaced a little more apart, and/or go with a different font.

The remainder (including the message text) seemed ok, but I also agree with those who suggested: i) a pic of the back panel; and ii) listing the number/type of inputs/outputs and the supported video/audio formats.

I terms of overall impact, I think I'd be as favorably disposed to this ad as much as any other I've ever run across in a trade magazine.

(Here's a free idea for your next ad: a picture of the inside of a tent, i.e., Robin Hood's tent, with a scantily clad Maid Marian in some sort of provocative pose, and a model 1070 sitting on a table along with some pilfered gold. Caption along the lines of "Even Outlaws need some R&R once in a while.") cool

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts