Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22067 - 05/28/05 08:39 AM Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
rbray Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: North Royalton, Ohio
Received my 755 yesterday. When it turns on (with or without the other components being on), I hear a "pop" in my speakers and lights in the house do a rapid "blink" concurrent with the "pop". This occurs if I'm using the 950 "trigger" or manually use the 755's power button. Probably not related but something else I've never experienced with an amp, if I turn the amp off with the power button(with rest of system on) I continue to get normal volume sound for up to 10 seconds, then a little static for 2-3 seconds, and then it goes quiet.

I don't have power issues in the home (5 years old with 20 amp circuits)with anything else.

I hate to even think about the struggle to pack this "monster" back up for a return. However, even if I would tolerate the "pop" and "blinking lights", my wife won't! Are the above issues normal for the amp? Any ideas on the cause other the amp itself? Thanks

#22068 - 05/28/05 09:05 AM Re: Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
I do not experience any of your problems with my 755. The only thing I can hear are the relays operating if I'm very close to the 755.

#22069 - 05/28/05 01:21 PM Re: Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
rbray Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I got an e-mail from Outlaws. I'm happy that I won't be packing up the 755.

Per the e-mail, my issues are fairly common given the amp's task of charging the large power supplies and capacitors when it is turned on. The "pop" which they more accurately describe as a "thump" won't hurt and is also fairly common with medium to sensitive speakers.

My wife has "mellowed" once she read that there was no unusual problem and that the house isn't "at risk of blowing up". But the main reason she is happy is that I calibrated the speakers this morning and we listened to some music and sampled some action scenes from a Star Wars movie I had archived on the HD Tivo. With the music, the 755 provided added detail on the mids and highs and superb tiht base on my power hungry large Infinity Kappas. The Kappas go as low as my sub and with the 755 are tighter and "less obnoxious" per my wife. So, I removed the sub from the 950 and everything blends much better on heavy action scenes. Plus, for some reason it seems that we don't need the dialogue as loud as before because the detail is better; therefore the "bomb explosions" are effectively balanced but don't have to be as loud. Bottom line: The wife is happy, therefore I'm happy and won't take as much "flack" if I want to watch an action movie.

So, my initial impressions of the 755 are now positive!

#22070 - 05/28/05 01:24 PM Re: Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
The lights dimming is pretty common. The 755 has to charge the main caps which draws some serious current when first turned on. The turn off is also normal. The sound you hear after you turn off the power is the amp running on the energy stored in the main caps. This is all pretty common behavior in a seperate amp with power ratings in the 100W+ range

#22071 - 05/29/05 09:24 AM Re: Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
ratpack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Alabama
Do any of you folks have an amp meter where you could measure this current surge? I would be interested in knowing what sort of start-up current it takes.

There are common circuit designs that limit "in-rush" current and prevent this from happening. The trade is an instant on amplifier versus one that may take a few seconds to gradually come up to full power. You might be able to find such a device as a plug in/ on option. Anyone have a link? And, no, I'm not talking about a high priced power conditioner. Of course, they may also perform the same function. I don't know because I haven't looked at them that closely.

I have a strong opinion that allowing a current in rush that is so large that it dims your lights for a while is a VERY POOR design. All the circuity ahead of the capacitors are taking a good "thump!" I would hope that Outlaw fixes this problem, in the design of their new 790, where this would only be worse in a bigger amplifier.

Just one man's very strong opinion.

#22072 - 05/29/05 10:19 AM Re: Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Is your 755 on a separate circuit?

Usually lights on another circuit should not be affected unless you are pushing your panel.. I have an amp running 1400watts and no lights blink..

#22073 - 05/29/05 02:39 PM Re: Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
rbray Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

A little more on my "blinking lights". It lasts less than half the length of time than it would take to blink your eyes. The amp "clicks", speakers give a small "thump", and lights concurrently blink about one second after I push the power button. At times I can't even see it; but my wife claims she always can. The amp the 755 replaces was a 1200w amp. We never noticed any issues with it and the electrical load. Plus, I had it on a UPS (surge only outlet) with the rest of the components.

Yesterday, I connected the 755 to a separate circuit from the rest of the audio/video components (the components were within six feet of outlets from two different circuits). The only thing that shares that circuit are some recessed foyer lights that are normally off.

Yes, lights on other circuits do "blink". However, I can't believe the panel is close to capacity. The main is 200 amps and we have gas heat, stove, and water heater.

#22074 - 05/29/05 02:47 PM Re: Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
ratpack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Alabama
rbray: can you borrow a clip on amp meter from someone and check the in-rush current?

You have an interesting situation and I don't think that the problem is your AC mains.

#22075 - 05/29/05 08:23 PM Re: Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
My lights don't blink,nor do my speakers thump when my 755 turns on. I use the trigger from the 990 as turn on, but never experienced your problem when turning on manually.

#22076 - 05/29/05 11:35 PM Re: Power on equals "transient" pop and blinking lights
rbray Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

ratpack: You got me curious, so I just bought a new digital clamp meter (1000 amp) on e-bay for $9.50. Should have it next week. I'll let you know the results (assuming I'm smart enough to figure out how to use it).

Paratrooper: I get the same results with a manual turn on or when using the trigger on my 950.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts