Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21904 - 01/12/04 10:50 AM 755 Purchaser from Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hi all! I'm new around here and have enjoyed the posts so far. I have a question for those from Canada that have purchased this amp. I'm wondering what your final price was with shipping/pst/gst. I understand that the 755 is made in the U.S. thus not subject to duty.

I bought an ICBM last year and paid the UPS guy $107 duty when it arrived at my door as it is made in Taiwan.

Also for anyone out there...

I'd like to use my current receiver(a NAD T763, 100w x 6) as a preamp for the 755.

I've only had the receiver since Dec 11 but am craving more power and really like what i'm reading about the 755. Any thoughts to share would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

#21905 - 01/12/04 02:40 PM Re: 755 Purchaser from Canada
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

It's not so much the taxes and duties that hurt, it's the outrageous brokerage fees that UPS charges. Check out the related topic at http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/001030.html.

My guess is that almost half of that $107 that you mention went right into UPS' pockets. Considering that USPS / Canada Post would have only charged you a flat $5.00 brokerage fee...

Jeff Mackwood

ps. I know I keep whipping this horse, but especially with the tremendous rise in the value of the Candian Dollar versus its US counterpart over the last year, there is a commensurate increase in the potential Canadian sales that Outlaw could make. It makes tremendous sense for them to tap into that potential by further removing any barriers. And the UPS thingy is a huge barrier. When our dollar was dredging bottom all sorts of Canadian companies did incredible export business. With the US currency now floundering, the bright side (for them) is that US companies like Outlaw have a great opportunity to take advantage of it. Countries (like Canada) who have relied on exports can teach those that have not traditionally done a thing or two. And one thing that we learned is that if there is an irritant that is hurting your export sales, you get rid of it. That irrritant is UPS.

#21906 - 01/13/04 11:14 AM Re: 755 Purchaser from Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Jeff: Ah yes, the dreaded brokerage fees!
Well, when I ordered my ICBM over the phone last year I was told that Outlaw was working on setting up a Canadian distributor for their products. Apparently that has not happened yet but I hope they are continuing to work towards that goal.

In the meantime, i'm still considering the 755 but that is highly contingent on my final price. If I can find something else with similar specs and around the same money, that may be my best bet considering.

Mike

#21907 - 03/01/04 03:23 AM Re: 755 Purchaser from Canada
tak9 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Surrey, BC, Canada
I agree with Jeff, the UPS extortion is a roadblock to Outlaw's success. Maybe us Canucks are more patient, but I would wait a week for Canada Post to deliver my 950/755 combo if it were going to save me some cash.

PS Just order the thing a week earlier!!!

Tom

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts