Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21892 - 09/11/03 01:30 AM Advice on 7100 / 755 / will it make a difference?
petalas Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Hampton Falls, NH USA
Hi, I have a Yamaha RXV800 with Klipsch KG 4.2 mains, a Polk 245 center and Def Tech BP2.0 rear speakers with an NHT SubOne Powered Sub. I'm looking to upgrade the power, clarity and punch of my system in both Home Theater and Stereo modes and have never had separates before. Will adding a 7100 do it for me or should I look into the 755? Or should I save the $$$ if there isn't enough difference to justify the expense?
Thanks,
Steve

#21893 - 09/11/03 10:16 PM Re: Advice on 7100 / 755 / will it make a difference?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Well, obviously, the more power the better. One thing to consider is the question: do you need 7 channels or 5? The 7100 is a 7-channel amp, and the 755 is a 5-channel.

Check the specs on your speakers for the sensitivity rating. This is an indication of how much power you need. The higher the number, the less demanding the speakers are on your amplifier. A sensitivity of, say, 91dB is very gentle and won't require much power, whereas a sensitivity of, say, 83dB would be extremely power-hungry and you'll need all the amp you can get.

Jeff

#21894 - 09/11/03 11:53 PM Re: Advice on 7100 / 755 / will it make a difference?
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by D'Arbignal:
... the higher the number, the less demanding the speakers are on your amplifier. A sensitivity of, say, 91dB is very gentle and won't require much power, whereas a sensitivity of, say, 83dB would be extremely power-hungry and you'll need all the amp you can get.

Jeff is correct. Speakers need (in theory) twice the power for every 3dB of output gain. That would mean that a 83dB/watt/meter (sensitivity) speaker would need approximately eight (8) times the power to achieve the same sound level of a 92dB/watt/meter (sensitivity) speaker. So... even a 3dB difference between your speaker's sensitivity means you need twice the power to balance the sound output level.

More importantly, the amp ratings for Watts per Channel are some of the most misunderstood and misrepresented in the audio industry. The amps ability to provide current under different load conditions, is probably most important for you, because I would expect significant variation in the impedance profiles of your speakers.

The outlaw amps are high current, with good performance at low speaker impedance, so they are likely to outperform amps and receivers with smaller power supplies and capacitance. They also have a very good damping factor, which I believe improves low frequency driver control (the drivers that demand the most power).

These amps are the best value in solid state amplification... unless you could build one yourself; which some Outlaws are capable of doing.

good luck...

Allan

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts