Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21825 - 05/13/03 11:29 PM I want a 755 - where is everybody??
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
Come on now...I know there are some of you that don't only own the 950/770 combo......aren't there???? I want to hear from the owners of the 755...that's the amp I'm interested in...Even though I am convinced Outlaw has the most to offer already, especially without breaking the bank, I need to hear MORE! Both amps look top knotch, and the 770 is just soooo tempting, but I am keeping my old Fosgate 4100 amp for rear surrounds ( I just can't part with this beautiful beast... ) therfore, I really only need 5 channels....Well, even though the 770 seems to get all of the attention around these here parts, and rightly so I figure....and the only major differences seem to be the WEIGHT, I'm still kinda leaning more towards the 950/755 combo. Am I crazy?? Come on Outlaws...THE 755.....Tell me more...I'm listening.........

#21826 - 05/14/03 01:15 AM Re: I want a 755 - where is everybody??
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I have a 950/770 and a 950/ (750 B-stock) (Close enough?) and highly recommend it. Perfect to the task. Unfortunately Amps can be the Cinderella of the separate bunch. Always busy, always productive, but rarely initiated to the ball.

Amps just aren’t dressed up in the bell’s and whistles. I have trouble talking about my amps (could this be a hang-up). The use of descriptive musical terms in connection with their performance I’m just not comfortable with. (In other words I have not heard what I would call a ‘musical’ amp yet).
Although some here would like to convert us to tubes . (now [that] I would expect would cause me to notice sonic differences).

I want good clean power, not running overly hot for its class, and something that won’t choke/ change or otherwise mess with the recording. The Outlaw amps (whether separate or integrated) appear to deliver so well and at a great price.
I will say just from hearing many talk at length that the amps in the 1050 seemed stronger than the same power rating in many other receivers. (and since I’ve seen this myself in other products (have not heard a 1050) I believe it regarding the 1050 as it has been commented on so extensivilsy by those who have heard compared it. SOME times I wonder about manuf. rated specs and have noticed that amps with good wattage can’t always push difficult speakers as well as another with the same per channel rating. Even accounting for checking level method specs are written being equal(to what Frequency range all channels driven etc) across the board specs are sneaky that way. I’ve seen some amps with hair better specs in a area (0.03 HD Vs the 770’ rated 0.05%) etc. But listening by ‘spec’ does not always equate to a satisfying product (IMO) It may spec better that does not always mean it will [sound] better.

Outlaw delivers I REALLY need to check what B&K was running at a demo with my speakers and some ML’s etc which require good power. I thought the guy said 200 per channel. The B&K did not cut it as compared to my Outlaw 770. I would not be willing to say The” sound” was affected by either amp only in the sense that the power just didn’t appear to be as effortless. Reducing the speakers Output. (which I guess does effect the sound!) Yet not to me in the same manner I hear some describe amps sonic differences.

I would liken it more to having 200 horsepower and 150. Both cars can, - get to 70 and do 70. One just ‘feel’s different doing it. Then again it can go the other way too. I just drove a new vehicle which was rated 220 horsepower and higher torque than a 165 horsepower/lower torque vehicle. (Gearing was different) The acceleration lag and mushiness on the 220 horsepower vehicle was terrible in comparison to the 165. Between these two I’d pick the 165 HP vehicle any day as my preferred method of ‘getting to’ 70. That’s the type difference I’ve noticed the most amongst amps to date.

Strange way to say it all. But have been well satisfied with both the 770 and the 750

#21827 - 05/14/03 01:57 AM Re: I want a 755 - where is everybody??
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
I've got a 755.. it's running the center channel and all the surrounds... I've got 2 200's running the fronts... they all sound excelent and the same

Except for the feature (you'll notice when it arrives) where the unit nails itself to any hard surface it's placed on, you won't know it's there..

I upgraded all my stuff at once, so it's hard to tell which part caused what to sound better, but before there was really no discernable differences between the way different sources sounded.. now the source component's flaws are obvious.. And I've realized just how good my surrounds are.. I had thought about upgrading them because with my old setup they just didn't sound good.. (they're Jamo 200's) With the 755 and just about any dvd-audio content they sound wonderful... and I had thought my center channel speaker was pretty good (infinity cc-3) But, now I know that I've gotta replace the center...

So anyway the 755 is a great amp...

#21828 - 05/14/03 07:45 AM Re: I want a 755 - where is everybody??
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Well, I've got a 750 (the 755's older brother, 165W/channel), so I'll chime in and say go for the 950/755. The 755 uses the same amp components as the 770, just with two fewer channels included, so it offers the same sound as the 770. If you've already got two channels of amplification that you like and don't want to get rid of, keep 'em for the rear surrounds and go with the 755. I suspect that you'll like it.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#21829 - 05/20/03 11:29 AM Re: I want a 755 - where is everybody??
phgordon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA
I've got a 950/755 + old 2 channel running the rear surrounds. Couldn't be happier for home theater. I bought a sears relay (in the power tools section) to switch the old amp. The 755 is quiet and dynamic. I have an entirely separate high end system for music- so comparisons are not fair in that department. I did swap the 950 with my ARC SP9 for kicks. Of course the tube unit sounded better but not by an enormous margin IMHO.

#21830 - 05/20/03 11:51 AM Re: I want a 755 - where is everybody??
sigmachi25 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Jax, Fla.
I just got my 755 B-stock about a week ago and it is a great unit - actually I couldn't tell that it was B-stock - no scratches

I am driving a pair of hungry OHM speakers without any problem - and the Outlaw seems to be a great combo with the Ohms which are slightly laid back - the Outlaw gives a little more "presence" or push.

Almost all reviews I have read are positive - and with the B-stock price and 5 year warranty you can't go wrong - it is very heavy !! you need some good support for this thing.- very solid construction.

Also - the amp is the same as the 7 channel, so you can visit the 770 forum and use those evals for everything except the rears.

Bryan - Jax, Fla.

#21831 - 05/20/03 08:12 PM Re: I want a 755 - where is everybody??
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
I am using a four channels of a "755" to drive the high and low inputs of a pair of Klipsch RF7's and one channel to drive an Infinity IL36c Center speaker. I am using the internal amps of a HK AVR85 to drive my rear surrounds. The 755 effortlessly drives the mains and center with power to spare. I am totally satisfied and would recommend the 755 without hesitation.
Richard

[This message has been edited by gwhunran (edited May 20, 2003).]

#21832 - 05/20/03 08:42 PM Re: I want a 755 - where is everybody??
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
I'm still kinda leaning more towards the 950/755 combo. Am I crazy?? Come on Outlaws...THE 755.....Tell me more...I'm listening.........[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm convinced....The 755 with the 950 sounds like THE plan........... will be using the old Fosgate amp for the "rear" surrounds.....should be a good match!! I can't wait to soon become an official "Outlaw"!! Solid Power Amp and a versatile Pre-Amp/Processor at this price seems to good to be true!!!!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts