Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21814 - 03/22/03 04:12 AM 755+Paradigm Questions
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Orange, CA
Help, I am catching upgrade-itis(?) fever...

Three weeks ago, I upgraded my HT from Pioneer Elite VSX-07TX to 950/7100 combo. My main speakers are Paradigm Studio 60's. I've been happy with the sound of the new system.

I am in the process of upgrading the surrounds and add a rear center (See "Wife prefers small speakers" post)...
and last Tuesday, UPS showed up with a super heavy box containing the 755. I must have ordered it while sleeping...So much for setting a 2K budget.

Any way, in stereo mode with the 755 and the Paradigm, the music seems bright and harsh, with heavy emphasis in the midrange frequencies (CD's listened to: Sarah Brightman, Enigma, Fleetwood Mac, Santana...) The Elite and 7100 did not sound this way at all.

Is break-in needed for the 755? I have left the 755 on 24 hrs last 2 days, no changes heard.

Does it sound this way with your 750/755/770+Paradigm?

Am I missing any settings on the 950? Re-calibrate?

Continue on with the upgrade fever, if I decide to keep the 755, hello M200?

#21815 - 03/22/03 09:27 AM Re: 755+Paradigm Questions
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JkFruit:
Help, I am catching upgrade-itis(?) fever...

Three weeks ago, I upgraded my HT from Pioneer Elite VSX-07TX to 950/7100 combo. My main speakers are Paradigm Studio 60's. I've been happy with the sound of the new system.

I am in the process of upgrading the surrounds and add a rear center (See "Wife prefers small speakers" post)...
and last Tuesday, UPS showed up with a super heavy box containing the 755. I must have ordered it while sleeping...So much for setting a 2K budget.

Any way, in stereo mode with the 755 and the Paradigm, the music seems bright and harsh, with heavy emphasis in the midrange frequencies (CD's listened to: Sarah Brightman, Enigma, Fleetwood Mac, Santana...) The Elite and 7100 did not sound this way at all.

Is break-in needed for the 755? I have left the 755 on 24 hrs last 2 days, no changes heard.

Does it sound this way with your 750/755/770+Paradigm?

Am I missing any settings on the 950? Re-calibrate?

Continue on with the upgrade fever, if I decide to keep the 755, hello M200?

JKF,

Solid state gear doesn't need a break-in period, but speakers do. Also, of greater importance, is the necessary period of "user break-in", where you get used to a different sound from what you're used to.

Also, if you're really having trouble with the sound, try repositioning the speakers. Small differences in position (toe-in vs. toe-out, distances from walls and each other, etc.) can make humungous differences in the quality of the sound. Feel free to experiment!

Jeff

#21816 - 03/22/03 09:29 AM Re: 755+Paradigm Questions
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

P.S. Yes, you absolutely should re-calibrate every time you change a component in your system, and also every time the sound seems "off".

#21817 - 03/22/03 10:11 AM Re: 755+Paradigm Questions
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

It's very likely that I am not used to the clarity and detailed sound of the 950/755. I'll re-calibrate and continue to listen/experiment, sure beat cleaning the house .

#21818 - 03/22/03 11:54 AM Re: 755+Paradigm Questions
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

JKF,

Exactly. So called "break in periods" of solid state gear is usually nothing more than getting used to a new sound or picture. I worked briefly in an AV Showroom, and their televisions were completely uncalibrated, including several $10,000+ models.

After I correctly calibrated the sets, one of the more senior salesmen came into the room and told me the picture looked awful! He was so used to seeing it uncalibrated, that he didn't like the picture once it was correctly tuned in even though the calibrated picture was much sharper and more clear than the uncalibrated image.

So give it a week or so, and also try re-calibrating. You have excellent gear, so I doubt very much that there's anything wrong with it. Also, of all the components in your system, the one that's likely to make the least difference in the tonality of the sound is the amplifier. It can have an effect, true, but usually it's not a very pronounced one. If anything, moving to a high-quality amp like the Outlaw will increase resolution and clarity of the sound without affecting the tonal qualities thereof.

Jeff

#21819 - 03/22/03 07:04 PM Re: 755+Paradigm Questions
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

I was able to stack the 7100 on top of the 755 for easy cable switching and did some comparision listening between the 7100 and 755 this morning.
Briefly, I found the 755 is a bit more detailed and bass is a bit more full (dynamic?). Other than that they are very similar to each other for 2 channel music, DVD-Audio and DD movies. Without side by side switching, I would not be able to tell the difference (I am sure someone with audiophile ears probably could).
This could be due to the average Toshiba DVD-SD5700 or my aging ear drums .

For my situation, looks like the 7100 is the appropriate choice:
  • Less weight 51 lbs compared to 78 lbs for 755 - I got quite a work out moving the 755 & 7100 in and out of the cabinet (I had to reinforced the shelf for the 755.)
  • Cost less but has 2 more channels - no longer need to consider M200.
  • 100W per channel is adequate for the room and my listening/viewing habit.
  • Does not overheat due to enclosed cabinet (had to keep cabinet door ajar for 775, even with cabinet fan on)
  • Sound quality very close to the 755 IMO

So the 755 went back to the box waiting to be returned. One advice, be very very very careful if you try to move the 755 by yourself.

Quote:
Exactly. So called "break in periods" of solid state gear is usually nothing more than getting used to a new sound or picture.

D'Arbignal, you are right, after 3.5 hours of continuous listening to the 755 & 7100 this morning, I've grown to like the sound.

[This message has been edited by JkFruit (edited March 22, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts