Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21780 - 09/21/09 07:13 PM Beatles Box Set (Stereo or Mono)?
edcrash1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairfield, CT (Suburb of NYC)
I am not sure whether this is the correct location to post this, but I wanted to get thoughts from the Outlaws about their preference (and why) for the Beatles Box Set in Stereo or Mono (or both). I have ordered the Stereo Set, but have not yet received it so I am curious what others on here have to say given that I trust the opinions here much more than on Amazon (where I purchased the stereo set).
Apple TV w/750 gb HD music server
Universal MX-810
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Blue Jeans Cables

#21781 - 09/21/09 09:29 PM Re: Beatles Box Set (Stereo or Mono)?
fdxsteve Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: rhode island
I recently purchased the separate cd's rather than backordering the box set. I bought the stereo version because that's the way I remember them sounding when they were originally released. We only had mono radios back then but my parents had one of the first stereo record players when they came out. So when the fake stereo versions came out we bought them and they sounded pretty good. Much better than the mono versions. The new cd's sound sweet.I listen in stereo mode not surround sound. They still retain the channel separation between instruments and vocals and which artist is singing. I actually turn my head on some passages and this to me is nice. If your interested, the cd version of Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall is great. It was taped in 1958 I believe using mics. set up on the stage. The opening intro with the audience clapping had my father quickly turning off the sound because we had never heard applause coming from around us and he thought the sound was some kind of feed back. Anyhow, The Beatles sound good in stereo. If you want you can play them in mono on your sys.
SAMSUNG 5265/ ONKYO PRO PR-SC886/ FRONT SPEAKERS DEF TECH MYTHOS 1'S/ CENTER DEF TECH MYTHOS 9/ SURROUNDS ENERGY C20'S/ OPPO BDP-83/ OUTLAW 7700 POWER AMP/ VERIZON HI DEF DVR.TWO UBER 10 INCH SUBS FROM ORB AUDIO

#21782 - 09/22/09 02:39 PM Re: Beatles Box Set (Stereo or Mono)?
AusTexRocker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
I agree with fdxsteve on getting the stereo set. I also purchased discs separately rather than the box set. The vocals in one channel and instruments in the other was a little unusual to me as I listened to Rubber Soul. The Beatles (White Album) sounds incredible. Even after 40 years of listening to this work, I was hearing things for the first time...great fun.

Bedroom-Outlaw RR2150, Rotel RCD 1072, Dana Audio model 1

Blue Jeans connection on both

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts