Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#21730 - 11/17/07 11:59 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
aka Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lancaster CA USA
Sweet,

For starters, look for any Reservoir Jazz CDs Engineered by Jim Anderson and Mastered by Allan Tucker (or even the Rudy Van Gelder Reservoir titles). These discs rival SACD.
http://reservoirmusic.com/new.html
Anything by Diana Krall or Paticia Barber is sonically topnotch as well. 'Modern Cool' is stunning.
http://www.patriciabarber.com/press/downbeat.htm
I'm also consistently impressed by every Eric Alexander http://wc06.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wcfqxql5ld6e~T2 disc I own. Likewise, everything by One For All http://wc06.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:ajfuxqehldae~T2 .
Criss Cross, Sharp Nine and Venus (albeit a touch loud) all put out excellent sounding jazz discs.

my 2¢
aka

#21731 - 11/18/07 01:04 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Try these.

dts SURROUND SOUND CDS

These were recorded for dts. I bought a few and they are sonically very good. Bought both Dave Grusins, Messiah, chick Corea, Les Brown. You can play them on your Oppo. smile
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#21732 - 11/18/07 04:17 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
2X on Eric Alexander; his sound harks back to the golden age of jazz saxophone, especially when he uses the Memphis-bred pianist Harold Mabern.

The Reservoir people definitely go out of their way to get the sound right, but if I was looking for great fidelity coupled with really focused music I'd go for those "Rudy Van Gelder Remasters" discs. The RVGs are a marketing gimmick, to be sure (Van Gelder got things right the first time), but I've got no beef with folks finding new ways to drum up interest in, say, Coleman Hawkins (try At Ease With… or The Hawk Relaxes) or Gene Ammons (Boss Tenor).

Several of Duke Ellington's late-career records are awesome: maybe try Such Sweet Thunder, The Far-East Suite or …And His Mother Called Him Bill.

If you're looking for "voice" records with classical masses and choirs, I'd say check into Arvo Pärt and Hildegard Von Bingen. You're not gonna find any substandard records: recently I rediscovered my old vinyl copy of Pärt's Arbos on ECM. It's more sparse, and sounds fantastic. Also, the mezzo-soprano Lorraine Hunt Lieberson's interpretation of Bach's cantatas are pretty impressive.

Hope something here piques your curiosity.

#21733 - 11/19/07 02:59 AM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
This should keep me busy and broke all at the same time for a bit, exactly what I was looking for everybody, thanks for the start !

I think that a thread like this should be essential reading for everyone actually, and am surprised that there isn't a " what are you listening to now" thread. Noting current listens along with a very brief synopsis of the details, would be great to have for people who are looking to expand their horizons.

Doug

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts