Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21716 - 11/01/07 02:09 PM Two Recent Movies
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
A couple movies I saw over the past week I thought I would pass along to my fellow Outlaws:

Requiem for a Dream: The audio track on this is DD 5.1. While nothing spectacular in terms of explosions, gun fights, etc., the soundtrack nonetheless has some pretty interesting 360 degree pans and a few passages where sound appears to emanate from a field between the speakers. Pretty slick.

From a film perspective, this is an interesting, albeit disturbing, movie with a very tragic ending. Be sure to get the uncut version (which is not the "Director's Cut" edition), as it includes some disturbing scenes that are central to the main characters' downfall. If you can't find the stand-alone, uncut copy at your video store, Best Buy sells RFAD bundled with the movie Pi (by the same director) in their uncut forms.

FYI: This is not a movie for the kiddies, as excessive drug use is central to the plot and there is a very sexually explicit scene with Jennifer Connelly near the end of the movie.

The Thin Red Line: This movie is visually spectacular and includes both DD and DTS surround tracks. It's also a very moving film about war that has one of the best first-person perspectives on battle and the horror of war I have seen. If you're like me, it may not be what you're expecting. It's definitely not in the same vein as Platoon or Casualties of War. Which is what I was expecting when I saw that Sean Penn starred in the movie.

Instead, it's a bit more Saving Private Ryan-esque; and beyond that, it's more metaphyscial / spiritual in nature -- at least with respect to one of the main characters.

I queued up the DTS track, and while quite spacious -- and no slouch in the battle scenes --it is not quite up to par with the likes of Saving Private Ryan. But is a pretty good movie and certainly worth the price of admission... er, rental.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#21717 - 11/01/07 08:03 PM Re: Two Recent Movies
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
Thank you for posting -

I have never seen RFAD. I saw the bundle with Pi - Pi is actually one of my favorite indie flicks. I'm sure RFAD is a moving film.

I have been holding onto The Thin Red Line for months now. I haven't been quite in the mood to watch it (nor had I the time) but I think i'll be popping that into my player soon. There's quite a cast in it.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#21718 - 11/01/07 08:46 PM Re: Two Recent Movies
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
I have not seen Pi yet, but am looking forward to it.

Like you, I kept "The Thin Red Line" wrapped in cellophane for some time before I finally broke it out this week. I think you'll find it's not your typical war movie. It's a bit long and slow in places -- and I would also add "quiet" to the list of descriptors -- you'll know what I mean when you see it.

You're right about the all star cast. Interestingly, some have only cameo roles.

Post back what you think once you see it!

Best,

- Jim
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts