Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#21700 - 08/13/07 12:53 PM Re: Master and Commander, U571 & Gladiator....
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Quote:
Videodrome. Really interesting selection there, but what jumped out at me was the Brazilian movie Pixote. Harrowing and intense. Makes me think that you might want to check out City Of God, a more recent thing that also deals with kids/gangs in Rio. If I remember correctly, it's also sonically interesting.
Pixote is defintely a gritty and disturbing movie. In a classic example of life imitating art, I understand the kid who played Pixote was murdered.

I will look for City of God. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
I would like to add Donnie Darko (Special Edition Director's cut) to that category. I love the 80's rock soundtrack too. I like when the kids jump out of the back of the school bus in slow motion while Tears for Fears' "Everybody wants to rule the world" is playing. The bunny's voice coming from all speakers saying "wake up Donnie" is eerie and haunting.
I love that movie. And that scene resonated with me as well, I kept playing it over and over. I think, in part, because the Tears for Fears song brought back a lot of memories from my college years.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#21701 - 08/14/07 03:54 PM Re: Master and Commander, U571 & Gladiator....
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
In a classic example of life imitating art, I understand the kid who played Pixote was murdered.
More like art imitating life imitating art, Videodrome. Hector Babenco, the director, found the kid who played the title role on the streets (I think of Sao Paulo), and when all the hoopla surrounding the film was over the kid slowly gravitated back to his old lifestyle. He was killed by the police before he was out of his teens. Pretty sad...

#21702 - 08/15/07 04:49 PM Re: Master and Commander, U571 & Gladiator....
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Speaking of Tom Cruise. Now that it's been confirmed that he lost his mind. I think The Last Samurai was pretty good. I don't use it as reference material.

Movies I really like and can watch several times: The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me,Leon The Professional, Sideways, Good Will Hunting and Kapax. None of them are Epic's, but fun movies to watch.

If you want to hear a CD that's a great blend of different Styles, then checkout Tripswitch: Circuit Breaker. It's a cross of Electronic Ambient/House with some great guitar mixed in. It's a very unique album. Very relaxing IMO. They do have it on iTunes.

#21703 - 08/15/07 09:40 PM Re: Master and Commander, U571 & Gladiator....
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Retep: That's the thing about Mr. Cruise. He's the actor you hate to like. Utterly bizarre on a personal level, but he can deliver on screen. You can't take that away from him.

That said, I'll never forget a comedian's reponse to a girl who, when asked what her favorite actor was, said "Tom Cruise." To which his retort was: "I love that movie where he plays the young cocky guy."

Glad to see there's another person out there who likes ambient and electronic music. With the advent of Internet radio and my Squeezebox, I'm hearing a lot of interesting stuff that's never played on FM.

Best,

- VD
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#21704 - 08/16/07 02:24 AM Re: Master and Commander, U571 & Gladiator....
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
Anyone who might like beats, jazz, funk, or all 3 combined, I would advise to check out the Greyboy Allstars (more jazzy/funk) or just DJ Greyboy (a.k.a. Greyboy a.k.a. Andreas Stevens) (more funk/beats/taste of hiphop.)

You might find yourself surprised.

Greyboy is my musical ace-up-the-sleeve. Good for whipping out at your parties. People are alwayys asking 'who's that.' Keep it a secret. :p
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#21705 - 08/16/07 02:40 PM Re: Master and Commander, U571 & Gladiator....
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Videodrome,

Nice setup in your place. Is that your craftsmanship?

If you do checkout Tripswitch and like it, then definitely checkout Mirror System with an album by the same name. Here's their website: http://www.a-wave.com/mirrorsystem/#

#21706 - 11/25/07 05:16 AM Re: Master and Commander, U571 & Gladiator....
oarias Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just picked up "Curse of the Golden Flower" on Blu-Ray in preparation for the imminent arrival of my Playstation 3.

I've seen it on standard def DVD already, and the colors were just amazing.

Oscar

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts