Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2164 - 05/18/02 01:11 AM Newbie - Please advise on speakers
mike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
Hey there,
I've been reading the board for awhile, and after all the research, I am strongly considering the 1050. Could someone recommend the least expensive, good speakers for a relatively small room (15x15) - I am by no means an audiophile, but I would like something that sounds nice. I sincerely appreciate your help!!!
Mike

#2165 - 05/18/02 11:48 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
Hello Mike;I would recommend you try some JBL PRO-Studios,(not the ones they sell at best buy)Go to jblpro web site and click on recording studios,you could buy some at E-Bay for about 200.00 to 300.00 dollars per pair depending on size.I hope that is with in you range.Good luck....

#2166 - 05/18/02 01:39 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
MIKE, Isecond the JBL's I have some and I like them alot. I would also try paradigm speakers, the atom system is good also.

#2167 - 05/18/02 01:50 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Some that often get mentioned around here as good budget speakers: Paradigm (Atom, Titan -- I've got some of Paradigm's high-end speakers and I love them), Boston Acoustics (there are a number of 1050 users with BA speakers), JBL, and Energy. There are also some regulars around here who will recommend and can offer excellent advise on building your own speakers if that interests you. Any of these options are good, but you might also want to flip through your CD collection and pick out a few songs tat you know well and like that you can use as demo material -- take those discs with you to a dealer and ask to listen to your discs on the speakers that you are interested in.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#2168 - 05/18/02 02:22 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Yep, gonk's right. No substitution for listening with your own ears. I've got Boston Acoustics (the System 9000) and have been VERY happy with them. Another group of affordable-yet-sound-good speakers that have been getting a fair bit of discussion are those from Axiom Audio. I haven't heard them personally but there's a few users 'round here that rave about 'em.

What type of speakers are you looking for a surround setup, something with bookshelves and a subwoofer, or just a couple of nice big mains? Also, what's your budget?

If you check out the speaker threads, you'll find a few posts on this subject. It sounds like your room is roughly the same size as mine. My 1050 and BAs fill the space very well and sound great (to my ears, anyway)!

Good luck with your decision.

#2169 - 05/18/02 03:36 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
warpdriver1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ,USA
I concer with the others. Take some of your cd's and listen to the speakers. Buy the ones that sound good to you. I have Paradigm and I am very happy with them.
Mike
warpdriver1@attbi.com

#2170 - 05/18/02 09:27 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
mike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
Thanks guys for all the advice - here are a few more details. I just picked up an RCA F38310 (the 38" w/built-in HDTV tuner& directTV) - for $1800. I mentioned the room is 15x15, and I am mainly looking for something that will do the job for a nice home theater surround sound setup.

I understand the 1050 is a 6.1 channel, and I have heard so many great things about it, I am inclined to spend a little more and get this unit along with some decent speakers rather than a Yamaha in-the box.
By the way- just so I understand- the model 950 is not a home theater receiver, correct?

Anyway, as far as the budget goes, well, the cheapest, best speakers I can get my hands on to be honest with you - if I splurge for the $500 1050, I can probably only swing another $200-300 or so depending on what's avaialable. If this is pretty much not possible, let me know.

Also, can someone recomend a great progressive scan DVD player again for a budget minded individual?

[This message has been edited by mike (edited May 18, 2002).]

#2171 - 05/19/02 08:47 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
mediahound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
i just got a pair of the new Paradigm Mini Monitor v3 (version 3) for $350. and am quite happy with them. it's true that you should definitely listen to potential speakers before you buy.

i had thought that B&W was the speaker to get after hearing others talk about them but when i went to listen to them i did not like them as much as the cheaper Paradigms. it's a very personal thing, one persons gem is another's junk.

#2172 - 06/11/02 09:06 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
SuperFi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Grass Valley, CA
I love my Paradigms. Great bang for the buck. Monitor series if you can afford it.

------------------
Corey
music heals

#2173 - 06/11/02 10:54 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
RichW Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NYC, NY
If it were me, and I think the outlaw is great, I wouldnt spend 500 on my receiver and 300 on my speakers...

As long as you have a solid receiver, an upgrade to your speakers will almost always add more to your sound quality than an upgrade to your receiver...

Also, I would strongly consider only buying nice 2 channel sound for now and go 5.1 or 6.1 only later when I had more money. The reason being that in the long run your sound system will be much better with no throw away parts. Also, your music will sound much better. Finally, depending on what you get, you may actually get better bass from a pair of $500 towers than you will get from a $500 5.1 set up.

Good luck with your system.

Rich

[This message has been edited by RichW (edited June 11, 2002).]

#2174 - 06/11/02 11:13 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
My advice would be to start with a pair of something decent within your price range, such as B&W 303 (my favorite) or Paradigm or whatever sounds good to you for your mains. Use whatever used speakers you can get your hands on, borrow, steal, whatever, as surrounds and center. Or go without a center.

As money becomes available in the future, add new matching speakers as surrounds, or maybe something bigger and better as mains, and move the mains to surround.

Everybody thinks I have a killer system. I am still using 15 year old Boston A40s as my surrounds, with one woofer not working. I only just bought a subwoofer this weekend, a used SVS, and I built my center channel from scratch. (except of course the drivers). My mains are 14yo Spica TC-50s.

My speakers are cobbled together, but it all sounds great, better than most of the demos I hear of the lower priced stuff in the stores, and this stuff will still cost >$1000.

As for DIY, if you have any woodworking tools and skills, it may be a good way to go, if you can wait for the results. I had to buy most of my tools to build my center, but now they're waiting to be used again. Maybe I'll build new surrounds. The results far surpass what you would get new for the same money. You really can build some high-end type equipment.

#2175 - 06/11/02 12:39 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
just so I understand- the model 950 is not a home theater receiver, correct?

Yes, the 950 is for home theater, (in the sense of what a receiver does for DVD) but if you've never owned separates
(..cuse this answer if you have)
the 950 requires separate amplification to run it. The 950’s are raved about for excellent HT surround sound presentation. The only problem is, - you mentioned a 500 splurge for the 1050. So right now with your very nice display upgrade (the RCA) it would prob. bust your budget to look at the 950 where you also have to come up with the separate amplifiers. You would have to buy a 5 channel amp (if your subwoofer is powered) or the 770, 7 channels of power. Or mix and match monoblocks and 2-channel amps etc you have around or can acquire, - to power it.
Then you have very amazing Home Theater Surround Sound and can upgrade as it suits you to running 7 speakers and 1 Sub.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited June 11, 2002).]

#2176 - 06/11/02 12:57 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
Mayor D Offline
Gunslinger

Mike: I agree with those that like JBL for reasonably priced speakers. If you're looking for a 5.1 small satellite speaker/sub set up, there is the JBL SCS135SI 5.1 system - but you can go one level better to get an SCS150SI set up. The satellites are a bit larger and the sub is more powerful. I almost went that way before deciding to spend a few more bucks for a different system. You can get the SCS150SI online for $350-$400. Check out jbl.com.

#2177 - 06/11/02 06:07 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Mike,

Since you have not indicated a speaker budget these are just a few suggestions and info sources about speakers in a moderate price range that appear to be generally well regarded value speakers.

I have gotten some great deals from the folks at www.accessories4less.com They are a factory closeout dealer for Acoustic Research brand speakers and Marantz audio, generally around 40% off new retail prices, Speakers include full 5 yr. factory wty.
AR-3's are 3 way towers and have built in 12" powered subs, AR-15's for rear surrounds, AR-2c center.
Around 2200.oo

You might check this web site out for several other suggestion and price ranges. (Lower - Higher)
http://www.cheaphometheater.com = CHT
Swan Diva's = CHT recommendation
http://www.cheaphometheater.com/Swan%20Diva%20Surround%20System.htm
Around 1500.oo and then add a sub 750.oo ?

PSB Image series (Yahoo stores) Many full PSB 5.1 packages in the 2k - 2.5k range.

Klipsch and Boston Acoustic sub and small satellite systems = BOSE killers.
Around 1500.oo

Mission speakers / Mid price value

New Polk LSi series
5.1 system 4000.00 (3k - sub)
http://www.onhometheater.com/product/20020215.htm

Here is a nice source for professional reviews of speakers, from lower to very high end
http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Audio/Speakers/

For owner product reviews try this website.
www.audioreview.com

Something else well worth looking for !
When mfr's roll out a newer series and discontinue an older line, dealers will sometimes slash prices and offer some great deals to clear out their older inventory.
Also when dealers drop a brand line.

Certainly demo and compare with sound material you know.
Your speakers will probably have the greatest impact on your overall sound.

I guess inexpensive is kinda relative in audio. Considering that you can spend many times the cost of some of these suggestions just for your front main speakers.

B&W Nautilus 800 flagship speakers 20k pr.
http://www.wegivesoundadvice.com/sndadv ...ID=538&CATID=15

One of these days I may win the Lottery.

Good luck with your shopping.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve_C (edited June 12, 2002).]

#2178 - 06/12/02 10:05 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
Steve_c is right. I got a pair of JBL HLS-610's. JBL stopped making them and Best Buy was selling them for $80/pair! They were widley praised and listed new at $300/pair. So I feel I got a very good deal and I love the speakers. Good Luck!

#2179 - 07/11/02 03:29 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
mukaidaf Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: oregon coast
has anyone tried out the onix Rockets with the 1050? i'm realling considering taking the plunge, and was planning on getting the Diva's. unfortunately, the diva's are having legal troubles, and AV123 is switching over to the rockets.

i wonder how these guys sound with the 1050's?

http://www.rocketloudspeakers.com/

#2180 - 07/11/02 07:35 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
psklenar is running a pair of RS750's on his 1050 now, and he's been running them for a couple weeks or so now. His 1050 is set up two-channel only, so he's not using a Rocket center or surrounds. It sounds like he's quite pleased with them.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#2181 - 07/11/02 11:17 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
kuhllax24 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm kindof in the same position as Mike: I want to get into the highly addictive world of audio, but am temporarily hampered by a tight budget. You all mentioned very good speakers for the buck, except for one of the best known: Swan Divas. My question is: do they sound as good as they look? I could definitely afford a pair of those with a 1050.

#2182 - 07/19/02 12:22 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
Reiner Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

If you are looking for a good pair of main speakers with a sub, try nOrh. (www.norh.com) I have the 1050 with nOrh 4.0's all around with an SVS sub. For the amount of money that i spent, i have a wonderful setup. I know people that have spent over 10 grand on their setup and tell me that my stereo sounds better, the sound stage and imaging of the speakers are very impressive. i highly reccoment them.

#2183 - 07/31/02 08:11 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
Sean Parque Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Lafayette, CO
Hi everyone. I just happened upon this thread...

I work for AV123, the company the sells the Diva and Rocket Loudspeakers by Onix. I didn't always though. I'm actually a Diva customer that has crossed the battle lines.

I own 6.1s + C3 + 2.1s (purchased in August '01) as well as every Rocket model (was a beta tester before joining the team)

I also am a happy owner of an ICBM and have a 950 and 770 on order.

Anyway, getting to the point...if anyone has any questions in an official capacity or not, I'm here to help. Not to sell or BS or anything...just to answer questions.

I hope that's OK with everyone here

Regards,

Sean

------------------
AV123 / Perpetual Technologies
sean@av123.com

#2184 - 07/31/02 08:43 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
John C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Yep, got one for ya, any truth to the rumors that Swan/Diva is in financial trouble? I would hate to buy a nice pair of speakers like that and have them go out of business.

#2185 - 08/01/02 10:59 AM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
You'll still have the speakers even if they do go out of business.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#2186 - 08/01/02 08:30 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
John C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
True, but support can be a real problem if you have a problem with a driver or crossover.

#2187 - 08/01/02 08:57 PM Re: Newbie - Please advise on speakers
Sean Parque Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Lafayette, CO
Nope. Swans Speaker Systems is doing fine. No trouble that I know of.

We are supporting our customers. We have copius quantities of drivers and other parts. Additionally, the drivers are off the shelf Hi-Vi Reasearch units and are available from third parties such as partsexpress.

That said, we as in AV123 / Perpetual Technologies will support our customers in every way. We will be here for you two years and eleven months down the line if a warranty issue comes up. If we can't fix the problem, guess what? You get a free upgrade

------------------
AV123 / Perpetual Technologies
sean@av123.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts