Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21515 - 12/17/04 03:53 PM Spiderman 2: Superbit
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I cannot comment on the differences in video quality between this and the non-superbit version, as I have not seen the non-SB cut, but this cut looks excellent.

The DTS track, which is only available on the SB disc, is phenominal! In switching back and forth with DD, the sound is more open, dynamic and fuller to me. Great use of the surrounds also. some scenes had me thinking the sound was coming from outside!

Besides, it is just a fun movie. Highly recommended!

#21516 - 12/17/04 05:42 PM Re: Spiderman 2: Superbit
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I got both Spidermans in Superbit for my son for Christmas. Glad to hear you liked the superbit version. I know the DTS is a difference from the standard version but what else is?

#21517 - 12/20/04 10:00 AM Re: Spiderman 2: Superbit
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
The Superbit discs do not have any extras, or "Bonus features". The menu is not "Active", meaning no music or any animated scenes running, just a static pick list.

The DTS intro is not the one I usually get with the piano hammers sweeping the piano strings. Rather, it is probably the one you see in the theater. It is really slick!

If you want the best audio and video transfer available and don't care about the extras, this is the way to go. On my 20" JVC I don't know that the higher resolution makes a big difference, but the DTS is worth the price alone!

#21518 - 12/21/04 09:45 PM Re: Spiderman 2: Superbit
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

I notice a big difference between DTS and DD as well. The DTS track is louder. In many cases the relative balance between the "5" AND ".1" channels is different - with the ".1" getting greater emphasis with DTS.

When I do my best to play them at the same level, and listen very carefully, I hear ... no difference.

So if I have a DD-only DVD and want it to sound like the DTS version I simply have to crank the overall volume up a couple of dB and the LFE by a few dB more and voila! DTS sound.

Jeff Mackwood

ps. I'm pretty sure that I can see an improvement in the video quality with the Superbit versions of most DVDs, and since I almost never buy or rent a DVD for its special features, all else being equal I'd choose the Superbit version over the regular release. But since the price is rarely equal, I pretty much limit myself to renting Superbit, when there's a choice.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts