Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21432 - 07/27/04 01:24 PM Peter Pan
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Has anyone seen this yet? Just watched it over the weekend with my kids. It is actually very good contrary to what I was expecting. The "Tic-toc-tic" of the clock in the crockodile will have you looking for a clock on the wall behind you!

#21433 - 11/17/04 01:49 PM Re: Peter Pan
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Hi Guys, (long time no see, and do sincerely hope all the Outlaws are well!) Since improving the “total experience” in our Home Theaters is what Outlaw is all about. Occasionally I get revved up as regarding the end product (movies/music) we play on these systems. Especially when I find a popularly passed-over but unexpectedly satisfying (IMO) bit of entertainment. This is more properly a movie review which possibly should be posted in the new Badlands? But easier to put it under a thread already titled in “demos”. Outlaw can move if not proper!
SO here goes: cut & paste previously posted in the movie section of another forum. My plug for something fun month of November!
This movie is playing Starz on DirectTV* all through month of November. I did not give this film a glance during its debut. But recommend it highly to all that have access to Starz to sit down and catch during a quiet time this month. I Tivoed it and now intend to purchase the DVD.

Five of Five stars: 2003 Live Action “Peter Pan”
It might be pertinent to mention that in 2004 the story of Peter Pan is now 100 yrs old! Overdone, tired, saturated subject matter? Possibly, but worth your time for this fresh rendering of an old tale which follows closely to the “intent” of Barrie's original creation (while taking a few liberties) than I have hitherto seen produced.
As Peter is the “except for one” boy, this film, different from all, stands unique in its treatment of Neverland..

Regardless that the title namesake flew forever into the hearts of children as the stories main focus, when penned this was Wendy Moira Angela Darling’s tale. With Peter cast as the character that contrasts the tragic loneliness and possible isolation of fearing to grow up, while in his person containing all our lost and yearned for wishes..
Notice its more faithful (to novel) nod to the fact that Wendy is not “fearful” of Captain Hook, but indeed, “Fascinated”, dreaming herself a “Red-handed Jill” (Know any women in real life who yearn towards the dangerous type?!).

This version of Peter Pan is clearly a battleground for more than dominance of Neverland. Barrie's novel whilst remaining a book you could read to any child, - has its darker and more adult post-Victorian paragraphs cryptically reflecting on the human condition, which Disney never relayed in Animation.
This film captures the novels duality of adult thoughts and children’s naivete reminding adults (without offending watching children’s sensibilities in the least) of those moments when we ourselves straddled that no-mans land of puberty. Our heads and hearts confused, swiveling forward to consider the just glimpsed and hazy future (sex), and the tantalizing prospect of becoming privy as we aged to the many secrets of Mothers and Fathers. Yet still fearful at times and drawn to hold tight to our more recent and familiar past years of play... Peter Pan fights for Wendy, to keep her in Neverland, forever his storyteller and playmate. He is not above the very adult-like jealously of males when claiming a woman in attempting to reduce or severe prior ties and loyalties a female has to immediate family. Pan feels guilt but intends to deny a grieving Mrs. Darling her daughter's return.

"The reason was so simple, “I’m fond of her too. We can’t both have her, lady."

The one area where the film takes the most liberty regards
Mrs. Darlings Hidden Kiss

The novel, when describing Wendy's Mother, states:
“Her romantic mind was like the tiny boxes, one within the other that come from the puzzling East, however many you discover there is always one more, and her sweet mocking mouth had one kiss on it that Wendy could never get, though there it was perfectly conspicuous in the right hand corner of her mouth……Mr. Darling, got all of her, except the innermost box and the kiss”.

In the Movie:
Peter Pan gets his kiss from Wendy, rather than her mother, who is the female in Barrie's novel who bestows upon Peter Pan that which she has kept from any other person, including her own adored husband Mr. Darling. Peter receives Mrs. Darlings hidden kiss. The film effectively transposes this event. Using the kiss (via Wendy, who in the novel is indeed coming into her own “hidden kiss.” The film manages using that liberty, to convey the same poignancy, which is displayed in the novel, when Peter Pan later visits the nursery, after Wendy's return from Neverland. Then Wendy is ‘Old” (past twenty) and in momentary despair, when she…squeezes herself as small as possible.(and) Something inside her was crying, Woman, Woman, let go of me”

Visually beautiful and well shot in many of its moments, (when Pan coaxes Windy out the window, Parents dash to to the nursery etc) some minor CG irritations. Excellent casting across the board for all characters. . I will be watching for Jeremy Sumpter future roles with great interest, He hits the perfect note, for a character arrogant enough to crow “Oh the cleverness of me!”
The Soundtrack is very effective in surround setup, nicely done. The scoring appropriately and supportively poignant and dramatic.

Particularly in a male dominated forum you might tend to bypass this title. And different people relate in varying degrees to opposite ranges towards the same subject matter/experience.
But I have watched (count them! Five!) males who have various tastes, from age 19 to 40, comment when passing by “What is that? ….Jeezes! Peter Pan?!!!” who then paused a minute to watch the moment currently on screen, finally slowly and absentmindedly sitting down for the rest of the film, (regardless of what they had been about to do.) Ultimately, - riveted and laughing, later rewinding to see the beginning they had missed.
(and somewhat like Wendy, - I took my own moment to smile secretly to myself at my men’s’ “capture” by this film)

Give it a viewing, I expect that grass roots, this is a film capable of "growing up" to become a classic.

When you play at...Neverland by day with the chairs and table-cloth, it is not in the least alarming, but in the two minutes before you go to sleep it becomes very real.
That is why there are night-lights.

#21434 - 11/17/04 02:22 PM Re: Peter Pan
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome back Smart Little Lena!

And thanks for confirming my impressions of this fine film! Who would have thought Peter Pan could be a tear-jerker?

Please keep your response under three paragraphs!JK! Keep the knowledgable replies coming.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts