Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21356 - 04/21/04 04:07 PM Master and Commander
baristaman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tacoma, WA USA
Wow!!
Watched in DTS. Simply the BEST use and balance of the surrounds I have ever heard.
The first time there was a scene below decks, I actually thought there was somebody running around upstairs. Scared the crap outta me since I'm the only one here. They were able to make it sound like the footsteps (stomps) were actually coming from above. Simply astounding!!!!
Trace

#21357 - 04/22/04 03:37 AM Re: Master and Commander
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#21358 - 04/23/04 10:14 AM Re: Master and Commander
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Yes, very nice soundtrack indeed.
Loved the canon blasts during the first shootout. The best blast I’ve heard (and felt) from my HT. I’d say it was better than U-571. It made me appreciate my good sub even more.

I'm curious what LFM-1 owners would say about this DVD.

#21359 - 05/02/04 12:30 PM Re: Master and Commander
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i totally agree about the scenes inside the ship where you could actually hear people where they would be standing. i was pretty shocked at how precise the sound was. (new pre/pro helped some im sure). most of the dialog was a tad low, but the fight scenes more than made up for that. i dare say its the most realistic surround sound from a dvd that i have heard to date. i, of course, listened to the dvd in dts, im sure dolby digital is not quite as good of a playback...

#21360 - 05/05/04 07:24 PM Re: Master and Commander
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
HOLY SMOKES! INTENSE!

Rented this one on Sunday night. The surprise attack battle scene early in the film just about knocked me out of my chair. Aura bass shakers augmenting my LFM-1 contributed to the impact of those cannon balls. I too used the DTS track but didn't have time to compare with the DD. I may have to rent again or just buy this one to do just that. Yes the surrounds were very active - especially during the battle scenes and I agree that they added a convincing sense of realism. The sweet sounds of the string duets provided a welcomed relief from the chaotic noise of battle.

I was not as impressed with the video. On my system most scenes seemed a little dark and lacking in color. The gray fog of the opening scenes seemed to carry through the film. I'm sure this was the intent of the director/cinematographer but I thought some scenes could have been brighter. Perhaps I'm picking nits here.

Overall a good story well told with good acting. I enjoyed it very much. My wife and daughter were not up to seeing the blood and guts of warfare but I didn't think it was over the top or gratuitous. Especially since the ships doctor was a central character.

By the way, were any of you reminded of the Star Trek TV series while watching this? I half expected to hear Capt. Jack refer to Dr. Maturin as "Bones".

------------------
Tekdredger

[This message has been edited by tekdredger (edited May 05, 2004).]

#21361 - 05/06/04 01:49 PM Re: Master and Commander
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by tekdredger:

On my system most scenes seemed a little dark and lacking in color.
By the way, were any of you reminded of the Star Trek TV series while watching this?

What type of screen did you see it on? As far as I can see from my tube screen, there were plenty of bright colors. One, when Captain Aubrey sets his eyes on this attractive Brazilian woman while the crews were exchanging goods with the locals. Two, when the ship was stranded for days due to lack of wind.

Star Trek reminded me of traditional naval operation such as vocabularies used and the whistle you hear from time to time.

#21362 - 05/06/04 11:54 PM Re: Master and Commander
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
on my rptv i wasnt impressed with the video either. i think it was intended to have the look that it had though. this is an audio forum, so what are we doing talking about video?
Oh, I thought the movie was OK, but the sound was spectacular. I have seen much better movies, but not heard any.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited May 06, 2004).]

#21363 - 05/15/04 01:14 PM Re: Master and Commander
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#21364 - 05/15/04 01:16 PM Re: Master and Commander
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#21365 - 05/17/04 06:18 PM Re: Master and Commander
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiker:
I'm curious what LFM-1 owners would say about this DVD.

The sound was really quite good, I thought. Good surround mix, and there was some bass in there (particularly the cannon fire) that the LFM-1 really had fun with. Really fun (although my wife's cat might disagree -- by the second battle my cat had departed for quieter pastures at the other end of the house, but the persian was still around for the opening volleys of the second battle and he clearly did not approve of the LFM-1's contributions). It would certainly be a good disc to use as home theater demo material.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts