Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21211 - 12/21/03 12:01 AM DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I was just wondering what all you Outlaws would like to here remixed on DVD Audio or SACD? There is alot of older albums that I would love to here redone in the new format. One of my all time favorites would be Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. How bout it guys any thoughts? Just thought I'd start a BS session

Lasher

#21212 - 12/21/03 10:18 AM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Lasher,

FYI, Tubular Bells is available on SACD. I agree, it was good stuff, haven't heard the rehash though.

I liked the band Gentle Giant, and the production value of their albums was always very top notch.

I'd like to see any of their stuff remastered.

#21213 - 12/21/03 04:33 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
Pink Floyd Animals would be cool to hear on one of the new formats(preferably DVD-a because that's what I have )

#21214 - 12/21/03 09:00 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
I would love to hear Jethro Tull-Aqualung and would really love to hear Crosby Stills Nash and Young harmonize in 5 speakers!

#21215 - 12/21/03 10:24 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Just to chime back in, how about Uriah Heap Wizards and Demons or Return to Fantasy? All these ideas have me hunting through my old music to listen to it again Any more ideas?

Lasher

#21216 - 12/22/03 05:32 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Folks,

Why wait for re-releases that will likely never happen? Pop that oldie onto the platter, fire up your 950, set it to DPLII (with CR if you'd like) and sit back and enjoy. You'll probably get 80% of the DVD-Audio or SACD experience. (Yeah I know it's not the same. But then again - neither are the remixes! All I know is that I like the sound - a lot.)

I've said it in other posts. Ever since I got my 950 early this year, I've been chewing my way through all of the old collection. Oldfield, Tull, Heap - they all sound great (without having to buy them again!)

Good listening.

Jeff Mackwood

#21217 - 12/22/03 07:42 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
That is a great idea. I am going to pop in my Tull - Aqualung and try the DLPII. I'll let you know what I think. I am so impressed with the DVD-A and SACD I forgot about the other choices. By the way, Chicago II is wonderful in DVD-A. There I go again showing my age.

#21218 - 06/11/05 02:42 AM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
Goggy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dallas, TX
I would like for Pink Floyd to continue the "Dark Side..." success with "UmmaGumma".

But I agree with Jeff Mackwood....using DLPII with the good old stereo CDs is just about as good if you tweak it just right. And use an Outlaw ICBM, of course. Makes the Beatles sound better than ever.

Oh, and I heartily reccommend Frank Zappa's "Quadraphilia" DVD-A, if you're a fan. Some of the tracks are absolutely astounding.

#21219 - 06/11/05 11:59 AM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Anything the Who has done would be great in SACD or DVD-A . For sure Who's Next deluxe edition . Let's see, I guess at the top of my list would be all of Sabbath's titles every bloody stinking one of them . I think they have some done out in DD or something but I have not seen any in SACD or DVD-A . I would love the Cult Sonic Temple in SACD .
I will say that Loaf's Bat out of Hell is awesome in SACD . As far as that goes so was his DVD Story Tellers done in DD 5.1 . Carry on with Crosby Stills & Nash with Niel Young would be great to see .
Abbey Road the Beatles . You know some of these are actually probably out there but I just have not found them . If anyone knows for sure say so please . Rush Chronicles, Jimi Hendrix live at the Fillmore, BBC or Eletric Lady Land pretty much everything he ever touched .
That seems like a pretty good start . Some of these have got to be out there I just have not seen them in my small town .

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#21220 - 06/13/05 09:04 AM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Philly
CSNY would be excellent in SACD/DVD-A.
Anything by Dead Can Dance.
Depeche Mode "Violator."
Steely Dan "Aja" (I'm sure this one is coming).

And hopefully all of them done by Elliot Scheiner. Speaking of which, his DVD-A remixes of Beck's "Guero" and Grover Washington, Jr.'s "Winelight," are absolutely outstanding.
Tascam DA-20
Motorola HD Cable Box
IXOS Gamma interconnects
Hitachi PJ-TX100
Draper Onyx screen (106" diag)
DefTech BP7002s (front)
DefTech CLR2500 (center)
DefTech BPXs (rear)

#21221 - 05/08/06 05:27 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
I understand that Steely Dan has a bunch of old releases reworked for SACD and/or DVD-A but can't get the record company to release them. Too bad, as I agree Aja (and The Royal Scam) would be great.

#21222 - 05/09/06 12:00 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Rhino put out Yes:Fragile on DVD-A and they were supposed to do Close to the Edge. While I really enjoy Fragile, Close to the Edge would be cat's rear end.

#21223 - 05/16/06 11:08 AM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
Stewie Griffin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Quahog
Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged

...no laughing

S. Griff

Main System:
990, 7700, LFM-1, Vienna Acoustics, Sony SXRD

#21224 - 06/07/06 10:55 AM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
I've found that all my old material sounds far better than ever using the 990/7700 combo in several of the surround modes or even just plain stereo for the old stereo analog stuff. Also the downstairs unit which so far is 755 amp with two old Crown preamps (awaiting delivery of 990 for downstairs) has been made to sparkle. Clearly the difference is due to the amp.

I even got my old Dual 1229 turntable out of the storage box(hasn't seen daylight for 11 years) and the records sound great. Of course I transcribed them to CD for convenience.

In short it is clear that their stuff reigns supreme. I doubt that I'm going to be concerned about replacement of old CDs with SACD or DVD-A as the stereo is so good.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#21225 - 06/08/06 12:54 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by nfaguys:
I've found that all my old material sounds far better than ever using the 990/7700 combo in several of the surround modes or even just plain stereo for the old stereo analog stuff. Also the downstairs unit which so far is 755 amp with two old Crown preamps (awaiting delivery of 990 for downstairs) has been made to sparkle. Clearly the difference is due to the amp.

I even got my old Dual 1229 turntable out of the storage box(hasn't seen daylight for 11 years) and the records sound great. Of course I transcribed them to CD for convenience.

In short it is clear that their stuff reigns supreme. I doubt that I'm going to be concerned about replacement of old CDs with SACD or DVD-A as the stereo is so good.
My only issue with SACD is that not every release is given the same treatment. It's a format that truly depends on what recording you're listening to. That said, however, every time I put on DSOTM, I am completely blown away. It just makes my system sound sooo much better. Basically, when done right, there's a huge difference between SACD and a surround mix that has been derived from a 2 channel mix. The DSP has gotten considerably better over the years, from PL to PLII, but an actual discrete mix beats it any day of the week.

#21226 - 06/08/06 07:04 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Jason J wrote:

My only issue with SACD is that not every release is given the same treatment. It's a format that truly depends on what recording you're listening to.

...and Jason made a good point. I'll definitely not be in a hurry seeking SACD or even DVD-A. I had not thought about the derivation mentioned. A true mix would indeed be better. My only SACD thus far is Arthur Rubinstein playing Chopin from the RCA living stereo recordings of yesteryear. My understanding (and anyone please correct me if wrong) is that RCA recorded this LIVING STEREO in 3 channels and that this is a 3 channel SACD. That said it is true to form.

Thing is that this outlaw eqpt is so clean that stereo 2 ch shines. smile
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer

#21227 - 06/08/06 10:44 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
It's my understanding also the the "Living Stereo" releases are 3 channel releases as you stated. They are also supposed to be some of the better SACD releases out there.

If you have a multi-channel SACD set up, you really should go out there and get a copy of Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon". Here's a link to the right version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008C...v=glance&n=5174

At the price, it's a must have demo. Enjoy!

#21228 - 06/09/06 12:51 PM Re: DVD-A/SACD What would you like?
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Jason J wrote

It's my understanding also the the "Living Stereo" releases are 3 channel releases as you stated. They are also supposed to be some of the better SACD releases out there.

My understanding coincides with both of your above sentences. I thknk the reason the 3 channel recordings are so good when played back are that the CD technology now captures the original 3 channels and we can enjoy them as recorded....i.e. spatially across the front. And for the benefit of we who suffer from "AUDIO-PHILIA" they are analog, so there are none of the algorithms applied. Just plain audio. 9Not the I'm knocking surround etc).

My friends and I in the 70-s thru early 90s recorded live music in 4 channels (Crown CX844s etc) with good mics. Our material transferred to 4 channels thru the four of the 7.1 direct inputs (as would SACD Living stereo via 3 inputs) when played thru 4 speakers across the front reproduces the band or whatever recorded the way it was recorded. So we have real live sounds. The four channels do lend themselves to mixdown to stereo (as did RCA''s 3 channel material-though they had to split the center and to L + R.

In my profile I list HYBRID ROOM. That allows me to play 5.1 via the usual choices on the 990 on the usual configuration of 5.1. However having two additional speakers up front I use the SBR and SBL to feed to those with the extra two channels of a 7700. I guess I have the best of both the surround/algorithm modes and straight analog "as recorded" mode. smile
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV

My "Man-cave":
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts