Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21153 - 10/13/03 12:58 PM SuperBit DVD's??
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I've recently seen a few superbit dvd's for sale that I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. I like the idea of the dts soundtrack. What I wanted to know is are they really worth the extra coin??? I've never seen one. Any info would help me out.

Thanks
Lasher

#21154 - 10/13/03 10:09 PM Re: SuperBit DVD's??
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Lasher,

Some personal opinions here...

I really like the Superbit concept: use all available space to jam in the best possible audio and video - and dump the dang extras. I've never bought a DVD for the extras - and have only ever watched any of them a couple of times. That's why I've bought a couple of Superbits.

I really hate the idea that this should therefore mean that a Superbit DVD should cost me more, on average, than its "regular" brethren. That's why I've only bought a couple.

I have never noticed an improvement (or even a difference) in the sound: DD or DTS. But then again I've never done a double blind listening test on two versions either.

I have run progressive scan comparisons between two versions of The Fifth Element loaded into the two trays of my DVD player. I know it takes several seconds for the player to swap discs but I believe that I can see a difference between the two, and I believe that the Superbit version looks better. Can I quantify the improvement? Nope. Will I offer a whole bunch of meaningless subjective catch words / phrases to describe it? Nope again. "Better" will have to do.

So much better that I would consistently pay the extra amount to buy Superbit over regular versions? That's why I only own a couple of Superbit versus a few hundred regular DVDs.

If I were renting, and the price were the same (which it always is), then I would choose the Superbit version if it were available.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#21155 - 10/14/03 03:03 PM Re: SuperBit DVD's??
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Agreed. I buy the Superbits to get rid of the so-called "extras" and those really annoying animated menus. Yes, I know that DVD is a new, whiz-bang technology. Now stop showing off and let me watch my movie.

Man, I can't wait until I get a DVD burner and can start editing out those stupid menus. I want to pop the disc in and watch the movie, not see a whole bunch of spoilers.

Jeff

#21156 - 10/14/03 04:36 PM Re: SuperBit DVD's??
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Jeff,

When you make the jump to the DVD burner I'd be interested in hearing what you got and how flexible it is as an editing tool.

I added a Sony external DVD burner (one of the "500" series) to my home computer network a few months ago. I also bought a copy of the DVD XCopy software. Except for the occasional coaster that the combo has turned out (most likely due to the computer I've connected it to) it has made several dozen bit-perfect copies of the discs that I have "backed-up". It even works with Superbits. The only downside (that I can see) is that a dual layer disc requires two blank DVD-R discs, but the software makes the split smooth as silk, and my dual tray DVD player accommodates the results quite nicely. (It's sort of like waiting for a laserdisc head to flip sides - no big deal.)

Blank DVD-R discs can be had in bulk for less than $1.00 online (just bought a stack of 50 + five bonus discs for $48US, plus $11 shipping) and I've found a source for standard two-disc DVD cases for about $0.40Cdn apiece.

I've not yet had time to try all of the software that came with the Sony to see if it can be used to edit DVD contents before burning.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts