Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21135 - 09/22/03 06:35 PM Cher, The Farewell Tour
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Just picked this DVD up for fun, and it was on sale for $17. I saw this concert on NBC a while ago but it sure looks and sounds different on DVD. It's a treat just for the color and energy. I haven't listened to the DTS track yet but the Dolby 5.1 is recorded properly, ambient sound and audience noise coming from the surrounds, not just applause and not artificially inserted instruments. Even if you don't like Cher's music, this disc is just fun. Cosmetic surgery may have helped Cher with her looks, but this girl can move and dance.

#21136 - 09/22/03 08:49 PM Re: Cher, The Farewell Tour
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Bet it sounds great at extremely low levels with loudness compensation turned on!

Gimme Mary from Peter, Paul, and Mary any day!

Jeff Mackwood

#21137 - 09/23/03 10:40 AM Re: Cher, The Farewell Tour
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Jeff, have you seen Mary? She's not the Mary you've seen on album covers! Time has not been kind to her.

Are you missing something regarding the "loudness compensation" feature? Concerts such as this DVD would not be played low, but the Nora Jones CD would not be played at ear ringing levels. The "loudness" feature was intended for music playback when the listener chose a lower volume setting to compensate for the human ears' listening curve, not to be used for DVD sound tracks. Notice that Dolby offers you the compression features for its DVD soundtracks, why bother if everyone is playing it at high volume levels? If Dolby Labs understands this need, then why have preamp manufactures left out the the "loudness" feature for non-Dolby sources?

#21138 - 09/23/03 05:04 PM Re: Cher, The Farewell Tour
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

I know you got my friendly "dig" regarding the loudness compensation comment.

And Mary's at least twice (maybe even three times) the woman that Cher is! With Nora thrown in for good measure. And unlike Cher, Mary still has a great set of pipes.

And finally, given a choice between having Nora sing in my left ear, or Diana Krall my right, I'd have to say ... I'd let them both!

Jeff Mackwood

#21139 - 09/24/03 08:54 AM Re: Cher, The Farewell Tour
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

I think I would take Diana, I have just the piano in my living room for her to "play" on.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts