Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21000 - 07/13/03 09:04 PM “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Sorry can’t control my urge to use “demo” forum to talk about “future demos’ i.e.: current releases.
“Pirates of the Caribbean.”

Highly recommended I found some of the CGI effects juvenile. But the whole worked. Each of the main characters in their respective positions kept you entertained enough. With Johnny Depp carrying the whole thing on his amazing physical and facial quirky interpretation of “Captain Jack Sparrow”.

His first entrance scene, into the movie, is an absolute classic, - ringing dead center into the charming strength and idiosyncrasies of Sparrow the pirate, he has a wealth of obstinate cheerfulness regardless of with/without, in or out of trouble.

I’ve known a couple of men that had a hint of Sparrows fair or foul arrogance of manner. They were always the most.. fascinating of creatures.

Men appear to like this movie (around here) and in the forums where I’ve seen reviews, Maybe many played ‘pirates’ when boys? Definitely a DVD purchase when it arrives.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited July 13, 2003).]

#21001 - 07/13/03 10:38 PM Re: “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Haven't seen "Pirates" yet but it's on my list. If were talking about future demo material, however, sign me up for the "Finding Nemo" DVD. It is by far one of the best movies I've seen recently. Clever, great graphics, great jokes, great characters, it's just plain good!! Of course, I am a small Pixar fan.

#21002 - 07/13/03 10:53 PM Re: “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
With Johnny Depp carrying the whole thing on his amazing physical and facial quirky interpretation of “Captain Jack Sparrow”.
Absolutely! It's like he was channeling Keith Richards! Then again, I have yet to see a bad performance from Depp.

Sanjay

#21003 - 07/14/03 10:39 AM Re: “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
Joshorr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA
This movie sums up what the citics mean when they "fun movie". It balanced campy adventure (like something from the Mummy) with a good amoumt of humor (most from Johnny Depp and Jeffery Rush) that made you forget or pass over the typically silly summer blockbuster plot.

Bottom line is that everybody can enjoy this one and it you are Johnnt fan you have absolutely no excuss not to see this.

#21004 - 07/14/03 03:31 PM Re: “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
Desperado

Absolutely! It's like he was channeling Keith Richards

Did you notice the ‘Gladiator’ sounds-like portion of scored pirate theme refrain?
I kept trying to recall, where HAVE I seen Depps choice of mannerisms??? Way too familiar. If you hit that thought on your own. Your very very good Sanjay!!!. I saw where JD in an interview on the Tonight Show, commented, either (JD’s intent or some reviewers comment after screening)? that Sparrow is based on a cross between Keith Richard and Pepe Le Pu!

He pegged the ‘ always high’ and ‘in trouble with women’ side of Richard’s life, - dead on.

If I was to land on a deserted island with a scraggy gold toothed miscreant of a pirate…I’d hope for Depp’s version! Will Turner was nice but a tad boring compared to Sparrow. Hope there is a sequal in the works for POTC “Curse of the Black Pearl” if Depp’s willing to reprise the part. It was loads of fun.

Jason, FN is on my to-buy list too. Very good. My husband and I walk around mimeing the seagull’s.
“Mine, MINE, MINE, mine, MINE”!. And “hey dude …meet the offspring”. Disney is THE best at witty anthropomorphism.

”you like pain! (wack) Try wearing a corset” Miss Turner "PTC"

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited July 14, 2003).]

#21005 - 07/15/03 02:44 AM Re: “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
Sparrow is based on a cross between Keith Richard and Pepe Le Pu!
I would never have guessed about the Pepe half. I've always found Depp to turn in good performances, but this time he steals the show. If there is a sequel, I hope Depp reprises Sparrow.

BTW, was it just me or did the film seem to end 3 or 4 times?

Sanjay

#21006 - 07/15/03 02:03 PM Re: “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
Desperado

I would never have guessed about the Pepe half. Me neither, but….on reflection it fits!
was it just me or did the film seem to end 3 or 4 times?
…yes…..but a stronger sensation towards …a cut to tighten up run time…could have benefited from nipping 15 to 20 or so out of the film.
Did you stay past the lenghty credits???
Maybe that little tidbit is indicative that a sequel is considered?

PS EDIT: When the DVD releases, hope HEAVY 'behind the scenes' flimmaking process is included. Beautiful area of the world (caribbian) and the ships' manuvering and outtakes would be fun. Would be highly intreasting to see what nightmares erupted during fliming of the "Black Pearl" and "The Defiant" I love big old wood ships, and anything conected with them.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited July 15, 2003).]

#21007 - 07/29/03 10:42 PM Re: “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

SLL,

Just saw Pirates the other day and it's definitely tops in my books this Summer.

If you like incredible big wooden ships, get yourself over to Stockholm some day and visit the Vassa Museum in Stockholm. One of the most incredible sights you (or any other wooden ship lover) will ever set eye upon. Until I saw it myself, I never believed a co-worker who had told me that it was worth the trip to Stockholm all by itself. It is. (But if you do go, be there around the time of the Summer Solstice - which is an incredible party time in Sweden (and probably elsewhere). All night, well-behaved, partying - with many of the locals dressed in period costumes). The beer's expensive (taxes!) but the reindeer and other local foods are fabulous.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#21008 - 07/30/03 08:05 PM Re: “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
the reindeer and other local foods are fabulous.
Reindeer, yum!

Sanjay

#21009 - 08/01/03 01:11 PM Re: “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
Desperado

Reindeer, yum!
Yes and I heard toasted over an open flame like K-bobs on real antler skewers. Sanjay! FORSWEAR, you might make children (and with your recent brutal streak, - maybe grown men lately in the forum ) cry.

Jeff….you just added a stop on my world traveling list for “someday”. I am missing many posts in the forum these days and just saw yours. If I ever win a power ball, I will never have a home again. Too many wonderful places/things to see.

I am a good sailor, getting landsick when I return from the deep blue. I would have gone nuts for going to school on “The Albatross”. It’s a shame that tragedy kept the Ocean Academy Ltd. Brigantine from becoming a more popular method of tutoring while experiencing world travel.

Just saw “Pirates” again last night with someone who had not see it yet. (a male, - he loved it) I think I could actually sit through a 3rd viewing…….it is a very satisfying good time.

We should all have Captain Sparrows luck of the dammed Some of the one liners were even funnier the second time around. Bloom “That’s not Fair!” ………Depp ”Pirate!”.

Editors Note: Read in HTF I beleive, if its true that Depp has already signed on to a sequel!

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited August 01, 2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts