Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20971 - 06/05/03 11:54 AM the best DVD's for demo
hometheaterguy_co Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
the best surround sound experience is from 7-channels, (side and back surround speakers), a full 360 degree soundfield. and the best surround format is either a DVD encoded in Dolby Digital EX, or DTS ES, or THX EX. these provide additional back surround effects. visit this site:
http://timefordvd.com/tutorial/SurroundSound.shtml some are Star Wars 1 and 2, Toy Story 2, T2 Remix, Ice Age, but more are coming out each day and more are listed on that site. go EX/ES to show off your system to your friends! it's hard to be surrounded by sound with only 2 speakers. Scott

------------------
Home Theater can be affordable, ask me how.

#20972 - 06/05/03 06:36 PM Re: the best DVD's for demo
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Scott,

Thanks for the link, but I should point out that some of the "facts" on that page are questionable (e.g., DTS is better because of a higher bitrate) and others are downright wrong (e.g., THX Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX are equivalent).

Jeff

#20973 - 06/05/03 07:16 PM Re: the best DVD's for demo
Gunslinger

i agree on the DTS accuracy. many audiophilles praise DTS as the best surround format to date. not me. if it was, more movies would be released in it. there may be a measureable improvement in either s/n, but i doubt freq. i see no problems with Dolby. as far as the conflict in other formats, i do not knnow. i know they are similar, maybe not the same.
Scott

------------------

#20974 - 06/05/03 08:29 PM Re: the best DVD's for demo
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy_co:
i agree on the DTS accuracy. many audiophilles praise DTS as the best surround format to date. not me. if it was, more movies would be released in it. there may be a measureable improvement in either s/n ...

Not even. To date I know of no test that shows DTS is superior to DD in any way, whereas there have been tests to show that opposite is true.

Quote:

, but i doubt freq. i see no problems with Dolby. as far as the conflict in other formats, i do not knnow. i know they are similar, maybe not the same.
Scott

Well, the difference between THX Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX is a very small one. THX Surround EX uses the original Dolby-ProLogic decoder to extract the rear channel from the surrounds, whereas Dolby Digital EX using Dolby-ProLogic II to do it. In principle, that means that Dolby Digital EX should provide a more seamless soundfield.

Jeff

#20975 - 06/05/03 10:53 PM Re: the best DVD's for demo
Gunslinger

Jeff, take a low grade Valium bro and re-read my post. i said i feel DTS is NOT better than Dolby Digital. remember, this posting is for great demo DVD's and that is what that site is all a bout. if you disagree with the web site in which i have nothing to do with, email them.

------------------

#20976 - 06/05/03 11:41 PM Re: the best DVD's for demo
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I was angry. I wasn't. I just want to clear up any incorrect statements, such as when you suggested that DTS offered better S/N.

Jeff

#20977 - 06/06/03 12:22 AM Re: the best DVD's for demo
Gunslinger

np Jeff, but if you see in my post i did not concur that DTS offers better s/n ratio, or anything. my Lexicon audio processer only decodes Dolby Digital and loads THX enhancements. i could have bought one with DTS, but i just look at DTS as another politcal marketing trend in the audio world.
Scott

------------------

#20978 - 06/06/03 03:20 AM Re: the best DVD's for demo
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
np Jeff, but if you see in my post i did not concur that DTS offers better s/n ratio, or anything. my Lexicon audio processer only decodes Dolby Digital and loads THX enhancements. i could have bought one with DTS, but i just look at DTS as another politcal marketing trend in the audio world.
Scott

I concur. I own a Lexicon, too, and while it does have DTS, I only use it rarely. If a disc only has DTS, I'll play it. If it gives me a choice, I'll usually use the DD, but it depends on my mood.

Jeff

#20979 - 06/06/03 11:33 AM Re: the best DVD's for demo
Gunslinger

Long live Lexicon! so do you mostly keep it in Logic 7 mode? i do not have that mode, mine is older. a tech from Lexicon said: "many Lexicon users like Logic 7 mode because it pans more evenly in a enveloping manner". i understand DD and DTS are 5 channel, but Logic 7 is 7. am i correct on this? come tax returns i am getting a DC-1, or DC-2 fromeBay.
Scott

------------------

#20980 - 06/06/03 12:53 PM Re: the best DVD's for demo
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Long live Lexicon! so do you mostly keep it in Logic 7 mode? i do not have that mode, mine is older. a tech from Lexicon said: "many Lexicon users like Logic 7 mode because it pans more evenly in a enveloping manner". i understand DD and DTS are 5 channel, but Logic 7 is 7. am i correct on this? come tax returns i am getting a DC-1, or DC-2 fromeBay.
Scott

Scott,

Why settle for a DC-1 or DC-2? The prices of the MC-1 have dropped so steeply that you should consider getting one. I just heard of one guy who was able to get a used MC-1 for $1,200!

And yes, I listen to Logic 7 almost exclusively. It really is a truly awesome surround mode. And yes, it produces discrete rears and sides so unlike THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, and DTS ES, it truly is a 7.1 surround mode.

Take care,

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts