Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#20921 - 04/01/03 05:12 PM Demo for these times.
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Going into my ‘stuck on’ zone. Thanks Outlaw for providing the best reviewing of an old VHS lending more ‘big screen’ drama than it ever played with before in my Living Rm.
I got involved with a request for the transfer to DVD of a favorite THE WIND AND THE LION. Which caused me to drag out my ½ pd VHS and cable it back in to my main system, just so I could hear this ‘Hi-Fi’ VHS on the 950/770 through my speakers.

The Barbary Pirate (Shawn Connary) and the Rough Rider (Brian Keith) blend through the American Outlaw beautifully.

It seems an apropos recommend at the moment, and its over the top portrayal of the best/worst quality of America, reminded me yet again how the history of nations is pockmarked with constant ‘complications’ as they shoulder one against all, for World position.

I commented on the other forum, that this movie had given us some great quips we’ve kept in repertoire.

“Gentlemen, If you don’t mind, I’d like to be alone with my bear” Teddy Roosevelt
“Mrs Pedicaris, YOU are a great deal of trouble” The Razuli

It seemed particularly poignant and startling in light of current affairs to hear a scene I had forgotten when Teddy Roosevelt is Hunting at the Presidential Camp in Yellowstone and likens the American Grizzly’s Character to that of Americans.
During this scene he states: The world will never love us, they may respect us, they may even grow to fear us. We will have no true allies but like the Grizzly we will live out our lives alone. For we have too much audacity, and like the bear, can be a little bit blind and reckless at times too”

This film is loosely based on an actual Kidnapping, which created an international incident in its day, with Sex of the Kidnapped American changed to allow Candice Bergman into the role.

This is not a good guys against the bad guys movie, but one whose intent is to showcase the fleeting connection between two great men caught up by separate concerns, whose paths crossed for a moment in history. (Teddy really did shoot off a telegram wanting to know what kind of rifle the Rasuli used, and the two men had correspondence).

The score was nominated for an Academy Award, and is very memorable. The transfer is good (for VHS) enlarging well on my 60”. You will finish the movie humming some of the theme music. Rousing brass, drums, and horses. Available at BB’s (action/adventure) for rental.

Outlaw, I may have to dig out some more of the old great VHS’s, you breathe new life into them, and this was a score which begged playing through your 950!

#20922 - 04/02/03 12:42 PM Re: Demo for these times.
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm not surprised that you found this film apropos in a contemporary context, Lena. It was written and directed by John Milius, who is IMHO one of the more sophisticated political thinkers in a town full of bandwagon political dilettantes.

#20923 - 04/02/03 10:17 PM Re: Demo for these times.
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
J.Milius does seem to have more respect for historical accuracy of firearms in film and doesn't do the politically corret, "guns bad" that many others in Hollywood seem so intent on pushing.
Richard

#20924 - 04/09/03 11:18 AM Re: Demo for these times.
tes918 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX USA
Way to go Lena...the Grizzly comparison is so W

#20925 - 04/10/03 01:18 PM Re: Demo for these times.
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
If you intend to rent…don’t read as I quote a title ‘explanation’ scene. (From memory not verbatim.)

Stuck again how life and film can mirror. After watching this movie twice. Was listening to CNN last night where a Prof. of Political Science @ Cairo University I believe was being interviewed. He states: “ The Arabs want the American in the Middle East, to be like the Wind, - a powerful presence, - but invisible”
During the film, a line to President Roosevelt.
“The wind stirs the sand and stings my eyes. Like the Lion I roar in defiance, but here in the Desert like the lion I must remain, knowing my place. YOU, - like the wind. - will never know yours”
Mulay Ahmed Muhamed Raisuli the Magnificent, Lord of the Rif, Sherif of the Riffian Berbers"

Favorite line in the screenplay…..is the very last…should all have ‘one thing’ AND be capable of laughing at the face of adversity.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts