Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#20905 - 03/26/03 06:57 PM DSOTM Multi-Channel SACD
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
After reading some negative posts about this release on both this forum and on others, I was a little afraid of this disc. After my first listening, however, my impression is that this is the best multi-channel presentation of rock music that I've heard. This disc has tons of clean, solid bass; very good dynamics; and creative, yet not too annoying, use of surrounds. It also craves to be played at reference levels. Of course, many would say that the original recording is perfect for the surround application and they would be right. This disc takes advantage of that fact and never looks back.

For the curious;
Outlaw 1050
Sony DVP-NS500V SACD/DVD player
M&K K-5s across the front three channels
Refurbished Infinity Bookshelf speakers as surrounds
Braun LW-1 subwoofer powered by 150watt Parts Express Subwoofer Amplifier
Radio Shack "Gold Series" Interconnects
Radio Shack speaker cable
15' X 10' room

#20906 - 03/28/03 05:58 PM Re: DSOTM Multi-Channel SACD
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
You mean this one Jason.
I missed what it was...glanced that day and the brain would not process the alphabet DSOTM at that moment.

I have bought too many AV 'gifts' at the moment with money I could have had AV fun with. (I should wait for my pocket to refill..does it do that?! Oh well, people are happy and I like sharing the joy. But I think I might [need] SACD too. And the husband is ancy to upgrade the STB as soon as a viable model comes along. (decisions)

Thanks for the reveiw!

#20907 - 03/28/03 07:37 PM Re: DSOTM Multi-Channel SACD
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Yeah, you right, I probably should've typed out the title. I think it ended up shortened due to space or that I was just reading comments about it at another forum.

I now have a grand total of 7 SACDs in my collection and I've really enjoyed the sound from all of them. Of course, it really does depend on the source material and the mix. Honestly, I don't know if I would be able to tell the fidelity difference between SACD and DVD-Audio on my current system. I ended up going with SACD out of the principle of DSD vs PCM and the fact that I listen to more jazz and classical than anything else. Now, I have more rock SACDs than any other type!!! (Stones; Police; Mary Chapin Carpenter; Blood, Sweat, and Tears)

The upgrade to a universal player is definitely on my mind. I'm just waiting for a decent priced player that doesn't skimp on either of the audio formats. Ahh, the fun of upgrades.

#20908 - 03/29/03 01:17 PM Re: DSOTM Multi-Channel SACD
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
The 'Dark Side' SACD is available from Best Buy $11.98 plus tax (if you order on-line, bestbuy.com doesn't charge shipping). I believe Circuit City has it for sale at the same price. Not bad for a hybrid multi-channel SACD.

A good review can be found here:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=19939611

Best,
Sanjay

#20909 - 04/02/03 11:57 AM Re: DSOTM Multi-Channel SACD
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I too have the new DSOTM in SACD. I find it a great recording. It is such a clean recording. I can actually hear most of the lyrics to the songs. The bass is very realistic, clean and powerful. In the 5.1 mode it is truly awesome. Reminds me of their concert I saw back in the 70's; it's like being there again.
Another 5.1 SACD I enjoy immensely is Beck 'Sea Change'; I have other's I like also. I think 5.1 is the future for music listening.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts