Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20795 - 12/28/02 11:43 AM New Years DVD releases.
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I’m looking forward to the release of ‘Signs’ 1-7-03. My two trips to the big screen were a blast. I have not seen an audience get that involved in years. It would play a large role in my New Years Eve’s plans if they had gone ahead with a Dec. sale date. Wish they had.
Any other noteworthy releases coming? Recommendations for those who want to drive the HT dB rather than the highways NY’s eve?

#20796 - 12/28/02 01:27 PM Re: New Years DVD releases.
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
From everything I have seen it seems that the early part of the new year will be lackluster in comparison to the last half of this year. Which isn't all bad my wallet needs a breather anyway.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#20797 - 12/29/02 05:26 PM Re: New Years DVD releases.
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
I know that a few of these are guilty pleasures but I am looking forward to getting "XXX" on Dec. 31( the Vin Diesel pic, not the skin pic) Also I am looking forward to "The Borne Identity", which both my wife and I loved, and I felt was a much better spy-thriller than last summers "Sum Of All Fears". An new Special Edition of the previously released X-MEN movie, now labeled as "X-MEN 1.5" will be coming with more deleated scenes, a full DTS soundtrack, and lots of behinds-the-scenes footage. But currently I am just extremely glad to have gotten the Farscape Season 1 Box Set for Christmas and will be spending the duration of my holiday going through that set as well as negotiating my way through Vice City on the PS2, RAPTURE!!!

-Jeremy

A late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to ya there Lena and M-Mmeyer!

#20798 - 01/02/03 01:17 AM Re: New Years DVD releases.
Desperado

Hi, belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also!. Just saw this tonight. Did you see “XXX”?
(the mostly clothed version ) For some reason that one did not draw me to the theater. Do you recommend? Although I did (kind of) develop a crush on Vin Diesel in “Pitch Black”. I’m smart enough not to fall for them in real life, but I like the dangerous guys in my books and movies. Although I was disappointed in VD’s role in “Fast & Furious”, which did not do anything for me.

Mmeyer seems right when I roam BB right now …there’s just not much out. I’m still just waiting on ‘Signs’ …the only release I’m excited about

#20799 - 01/02/03 01:55 AM Re: New Years DVD releases.
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
It was an allright popcorn movie. Imagine if Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay made an action movie that actualy had shots that lasted longer then five seconds...and it didn't insult you by having more then one HUGE GAPEING plot holes.

Sorry, I finaly saw Pearl Harbor this week and feel slightly dirty.

Hey, its better then Peral Harbor. And better then Die another Day....so hopefully that helps.

Jason

#20800 - 01/02/03 11:59 AM Re: New Years DVD releases.
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I saw XXX in the theater and really liked it.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#20801 - 01/02/03 12:43 PM Re: New Years DVD releases.
warpdriver1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ,USA
I saw XXX at the theater and liked it and I bought the DVD the other day and watched it again with my wife. She liked it also. She is also waiting for Bourne Identity to come out on the 21st.

Mike

#20802 - 01/02/03 04:31 PM Re: New Years DVD releases.
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Yeah -- that was another good one...

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#20803 - 01/08/03 05:58 PM Re: New Years DVD releases.
Desperado

Thanks to all for the XXX and Bourne etc recommendation. Will hunt them up soon.

Regarding “Signs” husband knew I was waiting on it and brought it home last night for me. If you have not seen this movie at the theater I highly recommend it for a fun evening.

It sports only DD 5.1 and a THX optimizer on the purchased DVD.

The transfer is not of the best quality, AKA ‘LOTR’ but adequate.

However the audio is a blast on a 950/770/ Vienna Acoustic Setup.

This may sound weird but for a complete audio treat and especially those who love the styling of past directors and movies “Alfred Hitchcock” and the “The Birds” don’t skip the opening credits.

The score is VERY retro on opening credits and gets you in the correct mode for what’s coming. Watch it early in the evening so you won’t scare the neighbors cranking the volume. As the orchestra strikes crescendo notes starting halfway through credits the Credit itself disappears with the same speed as the emphasized cord in a sort of tunnel effect. Roll opening credits with your dB up and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Lots of old time scary ‘bump’ in the night, edge of your seat fun.

For the sound alone, - Worth a rental/purchase for the fun score played through any capable subwoofered HT setup.

Back to the grind.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited January 08, 2003).]

#20804 - 01/29/03 03:36 AM Re: New Years DVD releases.
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Man there must be something wrong with me.

I rented Signs, and I have to say it was one of the most boring movies that I've watched in the past year. I loved the score...it's very Hermanesque (Hitchcocks longtime colaborater/composer). But the film itself...man it just bored me.

I don't know...very few of the "shocks" shocked me. In fact the only time I jumped was in the cellar...near the coal chute. The rest of the directoral decisions, while I understand what he was doing, just fell flat. Maybe I've seen far to many of Hitches stuff (whic many of the directoral decisions seemed to be based upon) but it was like M. Night just took the techniques without taking the real "meat" of what made the techniques work.

There are numerous shots that are very "Hitch", but I'ld reccomend checking out Rope...which has one of my favorite "oh my gawd...what's going to happen...edge of my seat" moments in ANY movie that I have seen. Signs just felt...wrong. Forced...I don't know...to me it just felt bland.

Then again I've been under a lot of stress this past week, and may not have been as "into" the movie as I could have been.

OH, and if someone could tell me the "twist" at the end of the film, please let me know...I must have completly missed it.

Jason

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts