Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#20815 - 02/03/03 03:34 PM Re: New Years DVD releases.
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by fmcorps:
di-hydrogen oxide is lethal to them.

Sorry, but being a chemist I have to correct this. Hydrogen hydroxide.

It's been one of those days.

#20816 - 02/04/03 08:10 PM Re: New Years DVD releases.
neal Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: galion oh
Having been a fan of "hard" science fiction literature for a lifetime, I have learned to leave my critical assesment skills at the door when it comes to movies. I expect only fantasy or space opera and so am seldom disappointed with a screen translation of even a favorite book. "Signs" falls into that category of breaking the rules of hard science fiction, yet it seems to work as entertainment in the general category of science fiction. Since we come to this forum as home theatre enthusiasts using Outlaw gear, let me be the first to praise the subtle but well engineered sound track. The attack on the farmhouse used precision surround sound in a masterful way to produce an atmosphere rarely seen in previous offerings.
From previous comments in this thread, I get the feeling that there are a few "hard science fiction" enthusiasts out there and would be interested in comments on other movies that satisfy.

#20817 - 02/04/03 11:07 PM Re: New Years DVD releases.
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I agree about the soundtrack, I really thought it quite effective and had a lot of fun blasting the guys out of the house rolling just the opening credits alone a couple of times. I honestly have not perused Sci Fi much in years, and I don’t know why as it was very satisfying to read in my past. There is a book that wowed me I was thinking about the other day…. I’d like to track down. Written by a female remembered very faintly and I thought titled ‘Eight” subject; some sci fi slightly slanted mystical connection between music and math. (because math boggles me…there were theories in that book if I can remember more along the line of physics which are sometimes easier for me to make connection with. Would love to run into it again.
I’ll have to think awhile, but one which comes to mind in the last years was slim on any alien logistics that needed to mesh…..was CONTACT. What pleased me most about this film? Probable the fact that the screenplay was based on a story by CS. It was chockfull of thought provoking moments based on thoughts by a man who spent a lifetime supporting initiatives in space. Enjoyed the sophistication of the conflicting ideas and beliefs of humans in their explorer mode. Whether that search is for religion or science. Sagan’s disdain for traditional religion is well documented, and I lack it but as one who finds religion and science inexplicably melded, I could deeply appreciate Ellie's paradoxical position of begging to be taken on ‘faith’. When select government officials had not proof, but a indicator that at least a portion of her experience could be documented. ‘Donnie Darko’ was full of holes but I loved trying to wrap my brain around the space and time connections in it. And the tragedy of his ‘choice’ was effectively portrayed by its tone to me. I could also relate to the cynical parody or satire characterization of adult American suburbanite’s behavior so humorously displayed throughout that flick. If it has a least ‘some’ of those effective (for me) ingredients I can forgive a film (pass over) it’s lessor moments. But what one finds fascinating may elicit yawns from another. Every choice is relative. Curious, I think I will go on a read soon…What would be your top Sci Fi based recommendation?

If touches an emotional cord, I can forgive it anything….kinda of like my husband.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM