Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#20743 - 11/01/02 09:35 PM Rear Window, North By Northwest, Vertigo
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
I've been on a bit of a "classic" kick this past month, and with the exception of Spider-man, I've haven't picked up a single movie that isn't at least 10 years old or older.

There are three movies in particular that I picked up which realy deserve some attention. Hitchcocks Rear Window, Vertigo, and North By Northwest.

I know that Rear Window and Vertigo have both gone through some heavy restoration..and they look exceptional for fimls that are almost 50 years old. I'm not certain if any restoration went into North by Northwest, but it looks just as good as Vertigo and Rear Window.

Check them out. These are some great films.

Yes, these films may be slower then todays films, but there is just something there that makes this films shine through todays standards. There is something there that compells me to watch these films over and over again.

Either that or I'm becomeing a very grumpy old man...and have gotten quite dissatisfied with what I'm seeing out of the studios these days.

Jason

#20744 - 11/03/02 03:03 PM Re: Rear Window, North By Northwest, Vertigo
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Jason,

Rear Window is on right now on Satellite. The other two I have not seen in a long time. I agree there is something to many of the older films/directors, that is far to often missing in modern releases. You left out one of my favorites in this class. Charade.
I believe its just been released in its remade version. I have no intention most likely of seeing the new effort till it hits satellite. Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant were too perfectly cast. Some things are better left alone.

One of my Fav. Black & White couples is Nick and Nora Charles from the ‘The Thin Man’ series. I saw a quote from one of these at HTF the other day.

Nora: “ I read that you were shot full of holes in the tabloid”
Nick: “They came no where near my tabloids”.

Nick and Nora embody slapstick at its most sophisticated. They had the pizzazz to deliver these kinds of lines. (And Asta was really cute).

#20745 - 11/03/02 06:11 PM Re: Rear Window, North By Northwest, Vertigo
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
I just saw that Charade was released, but I havent had a chance to pick it up yet.

The thin man is on my list but I've yet to find a copy around town.

I was realy impressed with Hitch's Rope too. However i think a lot of HT people may be put off. the movie is extrordinary, but the transfer to DVD isn't quite on par with Vertigo, Rear Window, and North By Northwest (which isn't realy a direction...it's traveling instructions. He's traveling North, by Northwest airlines.) All three of those moveis just look beautifull on DVD, and I highly reccomend them both for the "DVD" quality, and the fact that the movies themselves are absolutly wonderfull.

Jason

#20746 - 11/21/02 05:32 PM Re: Rear Window, North By Northwest, Vertigo
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
Actually, I think North By Northwest is one of the best transfers to date, regardless of age and looked much better than the others mentioned, although Vertigo is still my favorite of Hitch. thriller...Great stuff!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts