Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#20653 - 09/09/02 06:57 PM Great surround demos!
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Thought I would start up another thread on surround demos since we seem to be getting to the point of new owners and new toys. I will start out with 2 recent releases with very intense soundtracks and both not for young kids.

#1. We were soldiers. This is a good war flick with Mel Gibson and a outstanding soundtrack right up there with SPR.

#2 Blade2. This is a action/horror flick with Wesley Snipes. It makes up for poor plot construction with non-stop action that doesn't give you any time to realize it until it is over. It also has a over zealous LFE track and a rockin soundtrack. Again this is not a good one for the youngins IMO.

I would strongly recommend both these flicks for at least a rental if not a purchase.

------------------
m-mmeyer
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#20654 - 09/12/02 02:55 AM Re: Great surround demos!
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Hmmm....

Well, let's see, multichanneled DVD material that I would reccomend for their sound.

I hereby submit my list of current "You Suck" movies. These are movies that my girlfriend has, at various points, looked over to ma and said. "You suck"...in a good way (meaning that they are kick @$$ enough to make her jealous of my system...and it makes here want to splurge a little extra on her's)

In no particular order...The You Suck List of 9-12:

1. Lord of the Rings...wow, just got this one a few days ago and it realy is fabulous. Great depth of the sound field, great ambiance...and some LFE tracks that will crack the casings on your house.

2. Resident Evil: this isn't the greatest movie in the world, but the sound is excellent. YOu get one realy creapy living room when you pop this disc in.

3. Sound of Music granted this isn't all that new of a disc, but the sound is wonderfull. There is a very detailed soundfield, very spacious...and the outdoor scenes realy sound like you are outdoors. Beautifully done in my opion (an Shauna likes the film to begin with...so I guess hearing it digitaly remastered by the boys at THX must have pushed her into the "you suck" gounds pretty fast.)

4. The Fast and the Fourious: OK, this movie is nothing more then Gross Point Break in street racers, but the sound is astounding. 2 starts for the movie 5 for sound...which is what we are talking about in this topic.

5. AKIRA-Limited Edition: Some people will most likely be put off due to the anamation. Some people will be put off due to the graphic violence, and some people will be put off due to the somewhat choppy plot. However, the sound in this disc is extraordinary. This is a referance test disc by far (and I dont think this has been mentioned before in this forum).

6. Harry Potter: Great film soundwise and Shauna enjoyed it to. Not much more to say that hasn't already been said in another discussion in this form.

7. Tron-20th Aniversary collecters Edition: Wow, this sucker realy cranks out the LFE...and the electronic music is aptly integrated into a wonderful audio package. Definatly a renter for those who like sound.

Honerable Mentions:

The Royal Tenabaums: I never got the "you suck" award of aproval for the Royal Tenabuams, but the sound is excellent, and the movie is one of the funniest that I have seen in a long time (without resorting to the Kevin Smith style of er...fart jokes, nor the extreme parady of a wayans brothers film). That's all I'll say because I know it's all been said in another forum.

Spy Game: Just about got the "You suck" out of here...but I think she was enjoying the film to much to squeek the words out.

The Others: Well, this movie wasn't the best movie i've seen. (In fact it's a pretty poor Sixth Sense pretender) but again, it's danged creapy to listen to. Lots of creaks, moans, and erie things goin on around, behind, and below you. The charm in this soundtrack isn't the "wham bam" type, it's the type that sucks you in so you forget about what you're listening to and just get the creaps from watching the movie...and that is a great sound field.

Well...for now that's all I have for ya'all. Some great stuff in there to check out. Come October...I'll let you know what other titles have made the grade...and gotten those two sweet words to drop out of her mouth.

Jason

#20655 - 09/13/02 07:04 PM Re: Great surround demos!
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Come on people! There is more to life than the 950! Lets talk movies!

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's

#20656 - 09/22/02 11:51 PM Re: Great surround demos!
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
I just saw Blade on TV. I liked it enough that I am planning on buying the DVD (and Blade II also).

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

[This message has been edited by Paul J. Stiles (edited September 22, 2002).]

#20657 - 09/23/02 04:32 PM Re: Great surround demos!
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Well since I first posted Monsters Inc. was released and must get put into to the "strongly recommend you buy it" category. Although the postings around the web suggest that some Pioneer DVD players are having trouble at the layer change. But I had no trouble and found the movie to be very enjoyable.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's

#20658 - 09/23/02 11:27 PM Re: Great surround demos!
warpdriver1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ,USA
I have to agree I liked Monsters Inc. and the action packed Blade II also. I watched Monsters Inc. with my wife and then on my day off while she was at work I watched Blade II so I was able to crank up the sound.

Mike

#20659 - 09/25/02 06:20 AM Re: Great surround demos!
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Oof...

I guess I just have this thing for creapy movies but I picked up a copy of the exorcist. Wow...it's not quite as seemless as some of the other sound tracks that I've heard but it does a great job of making you jump every once and a while.

Jason

#20660 - 09/25/02 08:13 AM Re: Great surround demos!
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
I liked Blade II also. But did you guys think the one computer graphics scene in front of the lights between Blade and the women fighting, didnt look all that great as far as realistic movements.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts