Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20620 - 08/26/02 04:08 PM DVD-A Demos
srfdude Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oceanside, CA
HOw about posting some good DVD-A demo discs? I haven't bought any yet, although a few DTS discs I have are pretty good.
Mike

#20621 - 08/26/02 07:07 PM Re: DVD-A Demos
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
One of the better ones is "Buena Vista Social club". If you like latin music this is a one not to miss, although when I bought it I wasn't a "Fan" per se but I am now. It also has a standard set of tracks for non dvd-a owners.

------------------
m-mmeyer
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#20622 - 08/26/02 07:30 PM Re: DVD-A Demos
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Several people have mentioned Blue Man Group "Audio" recently.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#20623 - 08/26/02 10:54 PM Re: DVD-A Demos
srfdude Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Yup, "Audio" is on my buy list. I have the CD version of Buena Vista; I wasn't aware it was multi. Ry Cooder is one of my favorite artists; he just keeps rolling along.
Mike

#20624 - 08/27/02 08:52 AM Re: DVD-A Demos
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
The rework of "Eagles: Hotel California" is fantastic. There might be a little too much going on in the surrounds. The guitars are crystal clear and the drums sound like they're in the room with you. I also have "Fleetwood Mac: Rumors" and "America: Homecoming" as samples of classics that have been redone. Both are very, very good, but the Eagles album is just a step ahead.

#20625 - 08/29/02 07:20 PM Re: DVD-A Demos
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Check out Beethovens 5th under the Teldec label (warner bro.) The copy you are looking for has Daniel Baremboim conducting...It's fantastic. My listening room has never sounded this close to a concert hall.

Also check out the Telarc release of the 1812 ovature. (It advertises "digital cannons"-and has a fairly humerous warning concerning cranking up your system). I dont have it but it's highly recomended, and I've heard its definate demo material.

The actual DVD audio discs blow away the DTS Discs.

Jason

#20626 - 08/31/02 12:10 PM Re: DVD-A Demos
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I have Telarc 1812 DTS. I have never been so disappointed. I originally (yrs ago) had the London 4 Phase version on vinyl. The vinyl version in stereo was incredible. The cannons were awesome (back when I didn't even have a subwoofer). The DTS version I have, the cannons sound like rifle shots. It is recorded way too low; I have to increase the volume by 10 - 15 to get to my normal listening level. I was hoping with my subwoofer and good speakers, not to mention the good old 1050, the experience would be awing. But it was BLAH!
I fired off a complaining, what gives email to Telarc, but got no reply.

#20627 - 09/03/02 04:27 PM Re: DVD-A Demos
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
The problem is you can never know the quality of the recording until you buy it, and by then they have your money.

Though I have never been anything but impressed by Telarc in the past.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#20628 - 09/03/02 10:33 PM Re: DVD-A Demos
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
May I side track the topic a bit among the DVD-A ites and ask for some help? I see I need to get my label deciphering abilities up to par for DVD-A. I became over excited since I have not have time to range out far at this time and shop for Disc’s when I ‘thought’ I ran into my first very limited selection of DVD-A. I bought 3. Two, - I have come to realize seem to be (super CD’s ?) labeled if you look deeper as DVD Music 6 Channel and where I assumed I spotted the tiny DVD – audio logo, it turned out to be a DVD- video with DTS and D.D 5.1. Okay, my mistake, one disc ‘Women on Top’ by Silverline, seems to be in reality DVD-A compatible, with a combo logo DVD Video/Audio.

Wow! I have another new area to spend in, as soon as I can find a location with a decent selection.

On ‘Women on Top’ it is also labeled with the D.D 6 surround logo, and The DTS surround logo.

Trying to listen to this disc in all formats encoded on it, there was nothing I tried that would bring up DTS.
The DVD-Music DVD’s had a menu to enable DTS. The Silverline does not. The Outlaw is treating it as though its getting only a 2-channel feed, (unless I’m in 6 ch direct) offering only Neo. etc enabled.
What do you do in menu’s to a disc like this to bring it up?

#20629 - 09/04/02 12:51 PM Re: DVD-A Demos
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
SLL,

I'll assume you have a DVD-A player and it's hooked up to the analog 5.1 direct inputs. The disc usually tries to figure out what kind of player it's in, then it blocks or grants access to the appropriate groups. This is done based upon the wishes of the record company.

Generally, a DVD-A player won't play the "DVD-Video" compatible groups. I think this is basically true for Warner Bros. releases. However, some DVD-A players have an option that let's you defeat the DVD-A capabilities of the player. When doing this, you may find access to DD material to which you would otherwise not have access. If your player does not allow this, then you are probably limited to the higher resolution groups which are either six channel, two chanel or both.

Reading through some of the DVD-A forums, the Silverline label does not enjoy good reviews. I don't have any to date.

Follow this ( http://66.84.14.16/dareview/wwwboard/mainboard.html ) link if you're more interested in the topic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts