Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#20541 - 03/17/09 07:18 PM full range outdoor loudspeakers?
Grog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenville, SC
It’s spring here in S.C. and I’ve been shopping for outdoor speakers and the freq range has been disappointing even from reputable high end speaker manufactures like axiom, paradigm, polk, boston acoustic, etc. Lack of demand for outdoor bass? None go below 75Hz +-3dB. Disappointing. Outdoor subwoofer to go with your outdoor surrounds? How about a quality outdoor full range loudspeaker instead? Too expensive to manufacture?

#20542 - 03/17/09 07:29 PM Re: full range outdoor loudspeakers?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would guess that most outdoor speakers are sealed cabinets, and a sealed design generally yields a higher -3dB point (look at Outlaw's sealed LCR and compare it to the ported BLS for a very clear example of this principle).

Outside is a big room, so it's hard to pressurize the way you would with a subwoofer in a room. I recall a debate some time back (probably last year some time) here in the saloon where someone was in search of outdoor surround sound and found some outdoor subs. They were passive subs with separate amplification, and they were pricey. As for a full range speaker, how low do you want to get to reach "full range"? After all, even indoor speakers can rarely get below 25Hz or 30Hz without a powered sub to assist them.

#20543 - 03/17/09 09:15 PM Re: full range outdoor loudspeakers?
Grog Offline
Gunslinger

Full range for listening to music in my opinion bottoms somewhere around 40Hz. Very seldom do actual instruments go below that. Exceptions are church size pipe organs + synthesizers, neither of which I listen to. To hear all of a bass guitar and even a bass drum though, Full size speakers sound much better in my opinion, especially outside, unless they’re 20 yrs old like mine are.
Movies are another story, explosions etc, but I won’t be watching movies outside.
I currently have 20 yr old full size 3 way pioneers (top of the line in their day)in my garage/shop that I put outside when it’s nice out and they work just fine range wise, but their age shows – muddy bass from yrs of beating up the 12” drivers. Plus they’re a pain to move around.
So this is going to be a challenge, b/c even if they made a pair I liked, I’d still have to figure out how to secure them enough to keep them from getting ripped off. Or just get indoor speakers and live with the extra 10 min of work every time I want to listen…

#20544 - 03/17/09 09:36 PM Re: full range outdoor loudspeakers?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Since most outdoor speakers are smaller and sealed (combination of design practicality driving the sealed and consumer interest driving the small), I doubt you'll see 40Hz from a typical outdoor speaker. I'd think that you'd be lucky to get 60Hz, actually.

#20545 - 03/20/09 12:59 AM Re: full range outdoor loudspeakers?
Grog Offline
Gunslinger

Right you are Gonk. I’ve looked quite a bit. If they could figure out how to get bass in them for a reasonable price I bet they’d sell. But then if they could get a car to run on water….
I’ve actually been looking at underwater speakers for my pool at a bunch of sites. I keep asking myself if I’ve lost my mind, but then I go back to looking. Novel idea, but how much time are one’s ears really underwater when swimming, and would it be in time with the music in the air? Could potentially be a great experience, and the floating ones are pretty reasonable, but who knows about the quality etc. Tough to find objective reviews. If they have a decent return policy I might take the plunge and who knows maybe they’ll be great. Or maybe I’m nuts.

#20546 - 03/20/09 01:17 AM Re: full range outdoor loudspeakers?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Tough to find objective reviews. If they have a decent return policy I might take the plunge and who knows maybe they’ll be great.
Emphasis added for great pun... wink

#20547 - 05/13/09 02:14 AM Re: full range outdoor loudspeakers?
IndyScammer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Since most outdoor speakers are smaller and sealed (combination of design practicality driving the sealed and consumer interest driving the small), I doubt you'll see 40Hz from a typical outdoor speaker. I'd think that you'd be lucky to get 60Hz, actually.
Not going to get a lot without spending alot. I use the Klipsch KHO7's rated to 65Hz...they do pretty good outside and the horn tweeter really provides great off axis performance (a big benefit outdoors). The KHO7 is from their Synergy line (<$300/pr at Best Buy). They make Reference line speakers too and a subwoofer which only gets to 51 Hz. All speakers are ported designs. My KHO's are WAY better than my neighbor's Polks in all regards...IMO.

Niles makes decent outdoor stuff too.
Klipsch RW12d SW
Yamaha RX-V557 (the reason I'm here)
Samsung BD-P1600
Motorola POS - HD Cable
Samsung HL-T5676S (DLP)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts