Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#20538 - 02/13/09 09:03 PM Bit Streaming
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
I think a good product for Outlaw to look into would be a product similar to the ROKU. Bit Streaming movies from Netflix. The Roku is affordable and HD ready and 5.1 ready. Netlix is not ready for sending out 5.1 audio. I called Netflix about there not streaming in 5.1 and it is in the plans but nothing as far as a date.

The Roku costs $100.00.

I would like to see Outlaw get involved with something like the Roku. Especially in price.

The Outlaws have a great deal with the VUDU XL for $499.00 but the movie rentals are high compared to Netflix. The cost of buying a movie from VUDU is pretty expensive also.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#20539 - 02/13/09 09:53 PM Re: Bit Streaming
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
They're not going to be able to produce their own content, so it would amount to selling a network appliance that supports someone else's downloadable content. I wonder who they would partner with.

The Roku box is cheap and would be almost pointless to compete with directly - why offer a better quality unit when the source material is likely to be a limiting factor in many regards? The VUDU service reportedly offers better quality, although there is a higher price tag to go with it. Typically these services are developed with a hardware platform in mind because they are useless otherwise (Apple didn't do much with video in iTunes Music Store until the AppleTV arrived, Netflix didn't do much with their offering until the Roku box was available, and VUDU built their own hardware to support their service).

#20540 - 02/16/09 06:38 PM Re: Bit Streaming
cvinfig Offline
Gunslinger

If you have a PS3, XBOX 360, or other media player, check out PlayOn for NetFlix streaming. I tried it with my D-Link DSM 520 which isn't officially supported and it worked pretty well. A friend of mine uses it with his PS3 and he's happy with it.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts