Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2045 - 05/06/02 09:45 PM Time to calibrate
AlexH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenville, MI
So, I have my Audax center channel built and ready to go. The 1050 is all set up. Now its time to tweak! What is the difference between Video Essentials and Digital Video Essentials, besides 20 bucks?
Can anyone help, Please.

#2046 - 05/07/02 05:17 AM Re: Time to calibrate
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I just checked and according to the horse's mouth,

"While it has designed to be easier for viewers to use, Digital Video Essentials will contain far more information about audio and video, including a section on high definition TV. The collection of video test material has been expanded with over 115 new or updated patterns. The new montage of images focuses on showing off the increase in vertical resolution of the progressive master plus providing an example of what can be done in High Definition video versus Standard Definition, once the HD version of the program becomes available. Mastering from a progressive source is a significant step in the direction of obtaining a high quality HD-DVD format.

The audio test section has been expanded to cover DTS and PCM audio tracks as well as providing a number of new features for audio checks. Among them will be timing of audio and video information so that the viewer can determine if they are in step with each other.

Swelltone will continue to be a part of Joe Kane Productions' efforts. We're excited about being able to present a portion of Respighi's "Pines Of Rome" in a new five channel recording. You'll also be able to hear it in a two channel presentation in the PCM audio tracks of the disc."

So my guess is that unless you utilize the progressive scan stuff, don't worry about waiting for the digital version to come out. Also, there are other test discs available that some people use, such as Avia. Then there are those folks that use more than one because they like this test better on this disc and that one better on the other type of thing.

I personally use VE and got my copy off eBay and saved quite a bit. Take a gander on the auction sites. You can often pick up new, unopened gear at a pretty good discount.

Good luck! And let us know if you have any questions regarding calibration or anything else!

#2047 - 05/07/02 06:57 AM Re: Time to calibrate
AlexH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenville, MI
Owl,s_Warder

Thanks for taking the time and effort. Great info.

#2048 - 05/07/02 08:44 AM Re: Time to calibrate
sfw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: IL, USA
Do any of the test disks provide an objective means to set a subwoofer crossover frequency, perhaps some ramping frequency tone that passes throught the crossover zone? I have tried a number of different musical sources and have had difficulty detecting the effect of the crossover settings with my untrained ear. I beleive that I have things set up correctly: small speakers all around, sub on (I do hear it working), and the sub's crossover turned up, out of the way, so the 1050's can do the job.

#2049 - 05/07/02 02:12 PM Re: Time to calibrate
Miller Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ashland, OR, USA
I know the AVIA disk has them, not sure about the others.

I found the AVIA disk to be cheaper at Lasersedge.com

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts