Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#20417 - 05/21/08 03:43 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
Belgand Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Francisco, CA
As others have said I rarely look at the display checking everything through the OSD. Thus finding a way to keep that with digital sources strikes me as far more important. Still it's very nice to have a visible display on the unit itself. I suspect the reason that displays aren't larger is because they cost a lot more to get even marginally bigger, but maybe not going with the unreadable blue would be a nice choice in the future. Bring in some spouses or other laymen and ask them if they can read it easily from nine feet or so and if not, consider how you can change it.

Same goes for buttons. I like having them so in case I lose the remote or something I still have access, but maybe put them behind a panel or something?

One final suggestion I'd have is to not bother with a really good high-end remote. Far too many companies are trying this putting in flashy learning remotes and all sorts of features. While Outlaw has a great price-point it's still pricey enough that I suspect many of us use third-party universal remotes. The Logitech 676 I picked up barely used for $70 was one of the best purchases I ever made (aside from my 1070 that is...). This means that any money spent on a nice remote is just going to go to waste. I'll strip the codes off it to go into my universal and then it'll end up sitting in a drawer unless I find I need to modify or double-check something on my full-time remote. So yeah, make a decent remote. The one with the 1070 was excellent, but consider looking at it as an area to cut costs. I doubt most of us will ever even use it.

#20418 - 05/21/08 05:55 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
One final suggestion I'd have is to not bother with a really good high-end remote.
I really must heartily agree with this idea, for several reasons. First, there are any number of buyers who will have already invested (both money and time) in getting and setting up a third-party universal remote and who will simply load the new processor's codes into that, making the added cost of a really high-end remote wasted on them. Second, what defines a really good universal remote varies from person to person. Harmony's remotes are a great fit for some, while others will prefer Universal Remotes, Pronto, Sony or a JP1. If you attach any one of those to your product as a value add ("check out our great universal remote!"), the people who would choose the others if given the choice are going to be dissatisfied.

Finding a good remote for you and your system is something that can be hugely beneficial. I'm actually in the process of contemplating just such a change (looking to get RF support to eliminate the issue of "aiming") and have been mulling over several different options - weighing not only cost but also ease of use for the family and ease of programming for me. (And might I just add, what was URC thinking when the created the software for the MX-810?...)

#20419 - 09/04/08 07:50 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally posted by garcianc2003:
This might be too gimmicky for Outlaw but, how about making the faceplate removable and make it so you can use it as a touchscreen remote too? It could also be rechargeable when it's back on the unit.

Anyway, mark my words. This will be the next "must have" feature for the Big Box store systems as more people get into home theater and manufactures are looking for the wow factor to stand out.
Ahem... it feels good to have a good hunch every once in a while...

As hinted in this Tech Week article in May 2008, Sunfire and Elan had teamed up to integrate their technologies. I believe that the two companies actually merged, but I am not sure if that went through. Anyway, Bob Carver himself has worked very closely with Elan, from what I hear.

I am now hearing that the new Sunfire Theatre Grand processor (TGP-401) will include a new version of Elan's Olé XL Film Interactive Technology touchpad , which is being called the Olé 2XL which will show "now playing" and other information from the processor right on the touchpad's 2.1" OLED screen which will act as the remote for the TGP-401 and will be programable/customizable. The TGP-401 will be the only A/V receiver in the world with this type of technology.

Edit: another person told me that he thinks the touchpad will only be for the zone 2 stuff. So I guess the rumor is what I would call "fluid". Also, this is all second-hand info and the model numbers, etc. might all be different in the end. Oh yes, and I have no affiliation with either company.

Edit 2: I found a link that has a video from back in January showing the TGP-401 connected to the XL model of the touchpad.

#20420 - 09/04/08 08:12 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
I got tired of editing my previous post, the more new information I found. It looks like this is kind of old news, since this system was demo'd back in January. So my powers of premonition are not as sharp as I thought and I'm back to being a mere mortal.

Also, I am not clear if the touchpad is wired or wireless. But, it is only a matter of time before this is commonplace (IMHO).

#20421 - 09/05/08 02:58 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
lanion Offline
Gunslinger

I agree -- basic remote.

Please allow a way to turn off ALL lights on the front of the unit for nighttime viewing.

#20422 - 09/05/08 11:48 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've got mixed feelings about a device like this. On the one hand, having a way to directly see lots of information from my processor right in my hand seems really cool. On the other hand, you start getting into a situation where that device is trying to replace a good universal remote, and that's a tough nut to crack - each person has different preferences, and there are several companies that cater solely to those different preferences with great effectiveness (Philips Pronto, Logitech Harmony, and URC being the big three in that regard). Adding cost for something like this will end up hurting some people who already have an ideal remote solution and don't need to pay for it.

Here's what this idea does make me think about: network connectivity. Allow a user to connect a network cable and see what's happening in their processor through a web client or a custom app, and you can offer all of these capabilities as a completely separate purchase (either a little network device or an app for something like an iPhone).

#20423 - 09/05/08 05:08 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Yeah, or inject that info to the display outputs.

#20424 - 09/05/08 06:33 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
gonk Offline
Desperado

Having the information itself is handy, but being able to control things (adjust channel trims temporarily, change surround processing mode) without seeing anything on the front panel (which might be in another room or simply blanked out for light control purposes) or on screen (which would distract other viewers) has a certain "gee whiz" sort of appeal. How much money that "gee whiz" is worth is less clear-cut, of course...

#20425 - 09/05/08 08:54 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
I think it would be great to setup nearly any feature through the front display, but I certainly don't need a big display. Mine is almost always off. I setup my system, so I know what's going on 99.9% of the time.

What I'd like to see is outlaw offer remote control options. Maybe a very very basic remote as a standard option and then some more advanced remotes as options, but at a discount. So you could get a touch screen remote etc. Maybe they could partner with a remote company.

#20426 - 09/05/08 09:01 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
gonk Offline
Desperado

You thinking of something like becoming an authorized dealer for URC or Harmony?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM