Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#20407 - 05/15/08 11:05 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I think the best possible look for the new outlaw would be to have my living room surrounding it. Yeah that would be absolutely fantastic.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#20408 - 05/15/08 11:42 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
A touch screen would have a cost impact, I'm sure. Classe has done it with their new product line, but at their prices I doubt it was too difficult to absorb the extra cost. As for front panel dors, I agree with tmdlp that they are difficult to implement nicely. They also add cost, too, and it's an approach that doesn't necessarily fit well with Outlaw's traditional design policies (simple, minimalist).
I was kidding around. I don't see the point for a touch screen face, it's a luxury item. However, I wouldn't mind a touchscreen universal remote. That could be an option. I'm not terribly fond of the one that comes with the 990.

Still would love some sort of sneak preview from Outlaw. Somehow I think theirs a slim chance that'll happen.

#20409 - 05/19/08 12:42 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I love the look of your graphite unit. Black and silver would work as well imo. My thoughts on the front panel FWTW.

1) I hate the idea of a touch screen LCD, but a larger 5" LCD for displaying information would be great. Along that line, on the display, I would have all line level inputs be relabelable. After all one person's CD is another person's Squeezebox and a third's Media Center PC.

2) I would get rid of the glowing LCD on the standby button and go with an unlit power button. Conversely I love the lcd indicator on the volume knob like in your first drawings.

3) I would either eliminate the glowing LCD that the RR2150 has on the tone button, reverse it so it is off if the tone controls are out of the loop, or make it a selectable option. Better yet replace it with a number for a configuration option after tuning the hopefully included full range eq.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#20410 - 05/19/08 11:24 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
Belgand Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Francisco, CA
The flush charcoal version is definitely my favorite so far. I'd rather have one big silver knob as on the current models though rather than a little fingerwheel design as on the flush. I also have no problem with the small buttons on my 1070. Something I particularly like about the current models are the panels used for front inputs. They're set up in a way that I only have to expose as much as I need unlike your larger panel. Putting USB on the front though is a great idea. Being able to just plug right in from the front for updates would be much more convenient (I still haven't updated to the no-audio fix because I can't be bothered to pull it out and drag it around and my girlfriend's laptop doesn't have an RS-232 port).

I really like the current design a lot. The only problem that needs fixing is the screen: it's practically unreadable at any distance greater than a foot.

#20411 - 05/20/08 02:48 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
monkeyplasm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tennessee
Not bagging on anyone's suggestions here, but Why in the heck do manufacturers insist on using tiny little VF displays, replete with millions of even tinier little icons?

Just make the GD thing big enough so I can read it from across the room. If it's too bright, then allow dimming or defeat (via remote so I don't have to get up).

4x as big or bigger would be nice; and if VF is too gaudy looking that big then use something else.

Everything is done by remote now-a-days anyway. I don't use 95% of the controls on my current unit's front panel. Just give a couple big-ass knobs to select input and volume when actually at the machine, AND a big-ass display. That's it! OK, maybe a power button too.

Don't even think about any sort of gay JVC car stereo videos or screen-savers. Information only, in English, not abbreviations, scrolling text and hieroglyphics.

Signed, Tired-of-Needing-Binoculars-to-see-the-settings-on -the-Freaking-Stereo.

#20412 - 05/20/08 10:51 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
mark miller Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Taylor,Mich
I REALLY LIKE THE MINIMALIST VERSION IN GREY. The two lines of information in the subtle aqua lighting that is on the 990 now, is a good and readable feature. GOOD WORK! GREAT IDEA!

#20413 - 05/20/08 11:47 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
I think the most useful change to the front of the new pre/pro would be a much larger display. Since the OSD is analog, and, since new TVs and most HTs are digital, one has to either switch the TV inputs to see the OSD and make adjustments....or as I do...use a separate small monitor.

For me it's not a problem but maybe it is for others. There 'tis. Sittin' on top.
Of course, I moved things around----it never stops!!

Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#20414 - 05/20/08 02:58 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by nfaguys:
I think the most useful change to the front of the new pre/pro would be a much larger display. Since the OSD is analog, and, since new TVs and most HTs are digital, one has to either switch the TV inputs to see the OSD and make adjustments....or as I do...use a separate small monitor.

For me it's not a problem but maybe it is for others. There 'tis. Sittin' on top.
Of course, I moved things around----it never stops!!

You're certainly not fooling around with your equipment. I take it you really like those big CD changers. Anything keeping you from getting a music server?

Yamaha: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=560668

I'll make one with a larger display when time allows, unless someone else wants to give it a go.

#20415 - 05/20/08 11:56 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
This might be too gimmicky for Outlaw but, how about making the faceplate removable and make it so you can use it as a touchscreen remote too? It could also be rechargeable when it's back on the unit.

Anyway, mark my words. This will be the next "must have" feature for the Big Box store systems as more people get into home theater and manufactures are looking for the wow factor to stand out.

#20416 - 05/21/08 04:33 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
cp1966 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
Retep, they all look great.

I also would like a display that is a little larger as well. Not soi big that it can be seen from 30 feet away, but EASILY read when a few feet away.

Another nice feature would be individual buttons for video sources.

Keep up the good work! It would be cool if Outlaw would actually have a few they could reveal and let current Outlaw owners decide on the final product (how it looks).
Panasonic TC-P65S1 65" Plasma HDTV, Marantz AV 8801 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Klipsch RF7 (X-over dean G modded) RC7 (X-over Dean G modded) RS7 CDT-5800C speakers, Outlaw LFM1 EX Subwoofer, Oppo BDP-93, B & O Turntable, Toshiba HD-A2, Sony CD & DVD 400 disc jukeboxes, DirecTV HD-DVR, PS2, PS3, Wii, Harmony one remote, Monster PowerBar 1200 for the TV, sub, PS3, HD DVD and Wii, Tripp Lite Isolation Bar for the Amp, Pre-Amp and other sources.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM