Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#20387 - 04/17/08 10:59 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
I'm neither of those guys but I'm diggin' the charcoal. Nice use of Outlaw design cues, and you could be opening up an entirely new model-naming convention.
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#20388 - 04/17/08 11:33 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Thanks... My girlfriend liked the charcoal as well. It would be cool if Outlaw started naming some of their models after Outlaws. I have the select and enter nob as a scroll wheel and push button in one. The Mute button is on it's own which makes it easy to use if necessary. I think it makes sense.

The LCD screen is taking from the 990 and I changed the color a little. If you squint, you may see the DTS HD Master Audio HDMI adn 1080P marks. Not that it matters.

#20389 - 04/18/08 01:23 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
Retep,

Of the two I think I would opt for the charcoal.
It has just enough "splash".
Great job!!!!! laugh
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#20390 - 04/18/08 01:35 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by butchgo:
Retep,

Of the two I think I would opt for the charcoal.
It has just enough "splash".
Great job!!!!! laugh
Thanks Butchgo.

I'm not sure which one I'd personally go with. Charcoal definitely goes more with Outlaw's current line-up as Gonk remarked. However, I like that brushed silver metal/aluminum look too. Since I don't have any other Outlaw equipment but the 990, the silver could work. It would probably be better for a receiver when I think about it.

#20391 - 04/18/08 03:27 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
Retep,

I love the look of the Outlaw amps and the 990.
To me a home theater should be all about sound and video quality and not trying to draw attention to your equipment.
I want my friends and relatives to go home and say oh my God do you belive that????????
Meaning that they could not belive the sound quality and the video quality of what home theater is really all about.
My 990/7500/2200 combo rocks their world and I just love it!!!!
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#20392 - 04/18/08 03:28 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I like that charcoal one. The silver accents "pop" more, while still being less likely to look a bit too bright and shiny for all of those dark home theaters that worry about all ambient light sources. (Plus most of my home theater rack consists of black faceplates...) I think the only things that I'd tinker with if I were doing it are the button layout in the middle (maybe a single row of them instead of the staggered rows?) and the display itself (one part of me still misses the 950's two-line display when it comes to relaying lots of information legibly from a distance).

#20393 - 04/18/08 03:30 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by butchgo:
Retep,

I love the look of the Outlaw amps and the 990.
To me a home theater should be all about sound and video quality and not trying to draw attention to your equipment.
I want my friends and relatives to go home and say oh my God do you belive that????????
Meaning that they could not belive the sound quality and the video quality of what home theater is really all about.
My 990/7500/2200 combo rocks their world and I just love it!!!!
I definitely agree it should be first and foremost about the quality of sound and video. However it's nice to have good looking equipment as well. Most of our equipment is hidden from view in a cabinet or in a dedicated closet. However, there's no reason not to make the equipment as beautiful as it sounds.

#20394 - 04/18/08 03:38 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I like that charcoal one. The silver accents "pop" more, while still being less likely to look a bit too bright and shiny for all of those dark home theaters that worry about all ambient light sources. (Plus most of my home theater rack consists of black faceplates...) I think the only things that I'd tinker with if I were doing it are the button layout in the middle (maybe a single row of them instead of the staggered rows?) and the display itself (one part of me still misses the 950's two-line display when it comes to relaying lots of information legibly from a distance).
I've never seen the 950 and will have to check-it-out. Ah.. I like the look of it as well. The green on the unit isn't much to talk about. The 950 actually reminds me of NAD equipment.

I toyed with putting all the buttons in a row, but separated them more on function.

It would be super easy to put the buttons in one row and make a larger two line LCD with bigger letters. Perhaps I'll toy with it some more. May also do it in black. wink

Oh and as you might have noticed, I kept your round corners.

#20395 - 04/18/08 11:51 AM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Also, I like the look of the two knobs (symmetry and balance), but I'm not sure how much I'd like the arrangement in actual use. I helped test an internet radio for Outlaw some years ago (a few folks around here may remember hearing about the IR1000, which reached "production-ready" status right about the same time the Librarian of Congress started dabbling in airplay fees for internet radio stations), and while the knob-based interface was surprisingly well thought out I still think that, for some things, the familiar navigation pad is easier to use.

#20396 - 04/18/08 01:10 PM Re: Next Generation 990 Aesthetics
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
I'd be all over the charcoal color processor, never been a fan of silver colored gear. Nice work by the way.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM