Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#20328 - 12/14/07 01:04 AM What about an outboard HDMI1.3a to 7.1 converter?
zman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: W Htfd
I understand why my 990 has DVI but when do we get the ability to take advantage of HDMI1.3A?
How about an outboard device like the Zektor MAS 7.1 that does the conversion but at a reasonable price?

#20329 - 12/14/07 01:25 AM Re: What about an outboard HDMI1.3a to 7.1 converter?
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
The Zektor MAS is just an HDMI switch similar to what Oppo also sells.

It doesn't do anything other than give you more HDMI ports.

Won't help you convert the multichannel audio signal from an HDMI 1.3 device into analog audio that you can send to your prepro.

You will have to wait until Outlaw comes out with their new prepro sometime in spring of next year which will have HDMI 1.3 compliant inputs and be able to decode all of the lossless multichannel formats that make HDMI 1.3 important.

In all reality though, there's no real big reason to upgrade to HDMI 1.3 as most of us will not see a dramatic increase in sound quality of multichannel movies with it.

#20330 - 12/14/07 12:54 PM Re: What about an outboard HDMI1.3a to 7.1 converter?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
HDMI v1.3's principle benefit is bitstream support for DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA. To use those, you need decoders for those formats - which means a receiver or processor with HDMI v1.3 built in and the necessary decoding support as well. To a great degree, HDMI v1.1 can provide the same things (although the source needs to decode those three new formats to multichannel PCM first), but the only company that incorporated HDMI v1.1 into a processor was Anthem due to the uncertainty of the HDMI interface at the time (everybody knew that v1.3 was coming, and consumers were already asking why they didn't already have v1.3 inputs before the spec was even published).

#20331 - 12/18/07 12:55 AM Re: What about an outboard HDMI1.3a to 7.1 converter?
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Happy Holidays Gonk. Your mail box was full. So I had to post my questions here.
Recently I discovered a hum in my system. When everything is off I hear a small sounding irratating HUM. Most noticeable when I turn on the source for my laser disc.
I dissconnected everything. All dvd players, cable, cd player and laser disc. Still had the HUM. Dissconnected all component cables and still had the HUM. Plugged everything into wall outlets that I had checked for correct grounding and there was no HUM when the Monster line condition 3500 and 3600 were disabled.
Souds as if the line conditions have seen better days. They are six and eight years old respectively. I have also had some four to six power surges. No damage to any of my equipment. The line conditioners did there job but perhaps at there own expense.
I have been told that Monster is notorious for this kind of problem.
What do you think I should do? I do not want to go without protection. My audio salesman has recommended Panamax.
Do you think the line conditioners should be replaced?
I do not want to but again they do protect your system.
If you can send me a private e-mail. Thanks in advance and MERRY CHRISTMAS.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#20332 - 12/18/07 03:38 AM Re: What about an outboard HDMI1.3a to 7.1 converter?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Need to clean out the inbox - forgot that it had gotten full again...

Generally, surge protectors have a finite lifespan (the MOV's die a little bit each time they take a hit), so after that many years I'd start to worry about the surge protection being provided by either unit. I'd probably start thinking seriously about replacing them, especially if you know that they've taken some appreciable surges along the way.

As for replacements, I'd feel comfortable with Panamax or Belkin PureAV. I've used both and have had equally good performance from both. Be sure to buy from an authorized dealer in order to get the manufacturer's warranty. I've also seen recommendations for both TrippLite and Brickwall in the past, but have not used either. (Note that Brickwall does not advertise any particular line conditioning capabilities as I recall, but they do approach surge protection in an unusual way - no MOV's, thus no deterioration over time.)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts