Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19919 - 02/01/06 03:07 PM Discrete remote codes request
3no Offline
Gunslinger

I just bought a 990 and I love it. Like many of your customers I control my HT with a custom programmable remote. I have used MX-700 and currently use iPronto. Users with PC programmable remotes appreciate having discrete codes in the device firmware to access functions that are only a "toggle" function on the standard remote so we can build reliable macros.

On the 990 you already include the most critical of such codes, discrete on/off (thank you), which I found on remotecentral. The standard remote has discrete input selects so that's not a problem. But... the standard remote uses toggle functions to cycle through Dolby and DTS modes, so if I want to select a specific mode I need to get up and go to the back of the HT were I can see the 990's front panel. Can't use the OSD as I'm either watching DVI or have the projector off for music.

This is a feature that is:
- important to a significant number of customers
- adds zero variable cost
- is straightforward/localized to implement and test
- included by many competitors
- easy to support e.g.:
http://rotel.com/downloads/prontocodes.htm

Please consider adding discrete mode select codes in a future firmware release.

Thanks.

#19920 - 06/17/06 08:15 PM Re: Discrete remote codes request
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, New York, USA
The discrete on/off codes from RemoteCentral must have been from the 950....I would guess.

On the 990, what did the discrete ON code bring you to? Did the 990 turn on to the last input it was on when it was shut down??

(I am also in favor of discrete sound mode selection rather than having to toggle through the different modes to get there....but doubt whether this could be done with a firmware update, however)

#19921 - 06/17/06 08:29 PM Re: Discrete remote codes request
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
CI, the 990's discrete on codes are the input commands (this was established as Outlaw's standard with the 950 and has been retained on the 990, 1070, and 970). Any input command will turn the unit on and set it to that input.

#19922 - 06/17/06 11:42 PM Re: Discrete remote codes request
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, thanks for the reply. Actually, I knew about the input codes turning on the unit. I guess I wondered what else, if anything, the discrete ON code would do....as I think about it, the latter code wouldn't accomplish anything, since it would bring the unit back to the last selected input.

As I think about it, does it make sense that the discrete ON command would be the same as using the Standby button to turn the 990 on (which would bring the 990 back to its last selected input prior to entering Standby mode), but the difference would be that the discrete command would not be a toggle, and the Standby button would also turn the unit back to Standby on a second push.

As well, the discrete OFF command would be the same as the PWR button on the remote?

Not sure if this makes sense (it is getting late), or if using these discretes would accomplish anything..... (I downloaded them to my Marantz remote, but haven't actually tried them yet).

#19923 - 06/18/06 01:06 AM Re: Discrete remote codes request
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm not aware of a discrete on code for the 990 apart from the inputs - although I think on the 950, the "TNR" button on the SL-9000 remote may have been a purely "discrete on" command that behaved the same as pushing the power button on the front panel. (Ever since we got the 950, I've always used macros that also jumped to a specific input so I didn't do much with that on the 950.)

As you say, the discrete off is the same as the power button on the remote (which only turns the unit off) and as the front panel power button when the unit is on; a pure discrete on command (as compared to the discrete input/on commands) would be the same as the front panel power button - reverts to the input that was active when the unit was powered down.

#19924 - 06/18/06 07:22 AM Re: Discrete remote codes request
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Yes indeed. I guess these discretes are not adding anything what is already part of the 990.

Now if we could only get discrete sound mode selection......

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts