Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1970 - 05/02/02 10:37 PM Bose speaker compatability
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

I've been drooling over the 1050 for about a year and I just got Employee of the Month at work, so I did the only thing I could think of. I called and ordered one this afternoon.
I have read most of the lit and a lot of comments and one question I have is if anyone has had direct experience with using the Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II speaker system with the 1050? Any tips, warnings and advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1971 - 05/03/02 09:06 AM Re: Bose speaker compatability
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McHenry, IL, USA
I'm sorry I can't really tell you anything, except that almost no one here likes Bose much. The first Bose discussion had a very low opinion of the Acoustimass and Lifestyle, the second one I started has not really gone anywhere.

Your best bet would probably be to talk to an electronics dealer, most likely a Bose Outlet store if there is one. Try to find a sales rep who likes Bose too. One guy at a Circuit City gave me the nastiest look I've ever seen when I wanted some information (In defense of Circuit City, another sales rep who helped my parents was one of the best they had ever seen).

Hope you have good luck setting them up, I have heard that it can be tough to do but sound good when done right.

#1972 - 05/03/02 05:54 PM Re: Bose speaker compatability
baristaman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tacoma, WA USA
OK,
My flame-suit is on!! :-)
I've used the AM5 for years. I like it. There. I said it.
I use it with a Yamaha center speaker,Atlantic technology surrounds, a couple of generic rear center speakers and a Polk 650 powered sub. The passive sub of the AM5 picks up the midrange sub signals quite well and the cubes direct the L/R signals just where I want them. I know that there is a lot of bashing towards Bose and I do understand it. One of these days I'm sure that I will upgrade but, there is no reason to dump something you already own AND appreciate just because the general concensus goes against them. If it sounds good, keep 'em. You can always demo other systems and change up later.
Trace

#1973 - 05/03/02 06:26 PM Re: Bose speaker compatability
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I used an AM7 with my 1050 for close to six months. It works -- I set it up with no sub, set the mains to "large", and I don't remember where I set the crossover for the others (I used Bose Model 100's for my surrounds and surround back, with no powered sub).

Here are my thoughts on my old AM7 -- do with them what you will. My old Yamaha RX-V690 pro-logic receiver sounded pretty decent, but the 1050 that I replaced it with was a definite and immediate improvement. What does that have to do with the AM7's? Well, the 1050's improvements helped identify the AM7's inherent weaknesses (frequency response problems and what-not) while oddly enough making them sound better than they had previously. I ended up replacing my Bose speakers. Your mileage may vary. Either way, I'd wager that the 1050 will make your AM10 do the best job it's capable of. Depending on your ear and your speaker preferences, you may or may not find yourself looking at them and wondering if you could toss them on eBay to help fund a speaker upgrade, though...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#1974 - 05/03/02 06:29 PM Re: Bose speaker compatability
BenjaminKing Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: VIsta,CA,USA
baristaman,

I, too, used to think that the Bose speakers sounded good. I agree that if you already own them, and you like them, then don't listen to other people telling you they suck. I never owned them, but an uncle of mine does, and I used to think that they were the greatest things. Then, I got a good system. Now that I am used to the way that they sound, whenever I visit my uncle, I hear the system's shortcomings. Even my wife hears the difference.

This is not meant to be a Bose bashing, but I have to honestly believe that there is much better out there for the money. I think the Energy Take 5 or other similar system (Mirage, Atlantic Tech, NHT, DefTech) can cost the same or less and deliver more.

I think that someday, you will get some good, if not great speakers in your house, and after about a week of listening, you will wonder how you ever did it.

CBWills,

I would strongly recomend that you take your own demo material and insist that the Bose salesperson plays it. Listen very carefully for an extended period of time. Then find an Energy Take 5 or something and repeat the tests. Go home, do it again the following weekend. I would be surprised if you don't hear a difference.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

------------------
Benjamin King
benjaminking@yahoo.com

#1975 - 05/03/02 06:53 PM Re: Bose speaker compatability
gonk Offline
Desperado

Benjamin's comments raised a question in my mind. Are you asking because you already own an AM10 or because you are looking into one?

If you are still looking, I'd recommend gathering some demo material that you are familiar with and start listening to some speakers. The Energy Take 5 and some of the Boston Acoustics speakers both offer similarly priced (or cheaper) speaker packages that have superior build quality and performance. Others like DefTech, Paradigm, and a number of others also offer speakers that can be used together as "packages" as well.

If you already have the AM10, hook it up and enjoy! If you start considering an upgrade later, let the folks here know and you'll get a number of suggestions on what to demo.

------------------

#1976 - 05/03/02 10:58 PM Re: Bose speaker compatability
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Sold my 6 mo. old AM-10 II's a few years back, I got lucky, lost 400.oo on the AM-10's and got a set of Boston Acoustic VR-970's for 600.oo saved 1000.oo, guess I came out 500.oo ahead and have much better sound.
I was using a SONY DD receiver initially then switched to a NAK AV-10, I wanted to add DTS. The NAK certainly made the AM-10's sound much better than the SONY ever did. (very clean and detailed, much better low end from the AM-10's) To bad the NAK was damaged in shipping, Might still be using it now. Only played in stereo the surround never worked at all, only paid about 1/2 price when I bought it. (could only get a refund) Same power rating 100w x5 but the NAK always got high marks for it's "true" power ratings. It gave me the impression that he AM-10's need some serious power to drive them decently. Can not give any input on the 1050's ability to drive the AM-10's. I would probably connect an external powered sub of some type to the LFE output of the 1050 (or any brand DD-DTS receiver) in addition to using the AM-10's. You might try using the front ch pr-outs on the 1050 (FR speakers set to large) and run them through an external amp (even your old receiver) if the 1050 does not drive the AM-10's as well as you like.

#1977 - 05/04/02 09:45 AM Re: Bose speaker compatability
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for all your comments. I didn't realize the level of controversy over Bose.
The consensus I get is that Bose is good if you have the whole system (I bought the speakers without the head unit a couple of years ago which I should have mentioned earlier). The whole wire harness from the sub seems to me to limit the size of room in which you can use the system, but I think I'll ignore the harness with the 1050.
I'm just starting out with home theater, as is my wife , so I think upgrading will be a slow process. There is hope however as she made the comment she noticed the difference between a VHS signal and the DVD player I got recently. The 1050 should help immensely with the audio portion of an upgrade. There's always hope.
I definitely will let you know how everything turns out. Thanks again for the help.
I also had another question. How does one become a Gunslinger?

#1978 - 05/04/02 11:44 AM Re: Bose speaker compatability
baristaman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tacoma, WA USA
I agree with Gonk and BenjaminKing completely. The 1050 improved the performance of the AM5 to the best of their abilities. I'm just saying that there is no need to immediately replace them just because other people think they're crap.
I will eventually upgrade, in fact I have avoided checking out my UPS drivers new Klipsch towers because I will then want to change up right away, which would mean not paying a bill or two.
I'll let you guys know when a mint condition AM5 goes on the market, I'm sure that I will get top dollar for them! (ha-ha)
Trace

#1979 - 05/04/02 12:03 PM Re: Bose speaker compatability
gonk Offline
Desperado

Bose do work, but they are very overpriced. The Internet is absolutely littered with Bose-generated flame wars, and there is a lot of information about the Acoustimass line available online (here are two: the Bose FAQ and Better Profit Margins Through Shortcuts ). On the bright side, they also retain their value well (wave "hello" to the Bose marketing team, we have them to thank for that ) so if/when you are overcome by the desire to step up a level you'll be able to recover a good bit of your original investment by putting them up on eBay.

If you've got a DVD player already and your wife noticed a difference, wait until you play a DVD in Dolby Digital or DTS -- that really opened my eyes!

As for the "gunslinger" thing -- after you've made 15 posts, you will become a gunslinger.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM