Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 11 of 17 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17 >
Topic Options
#19738 - 02/13/07 06:07 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
Guido Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia
I understand why it's so big (connections, adaptation of existing product) but it's still huge. Maybe they could have a one rack height control panel connected to the big box via a ribbon cable. Big box could go out of sight deep inside cabinet and all you see is an elegantly small 2" x17" face with display and buttons/knob. They could offer as an optional model for a reasonable price. Call it the 990R or something.

#19739 - 02/14/07 09:48 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
dvdguru Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but what I and many others would like is the analog/hdmi LFE settings. On many of the newer receivers you have a 5,10 and 15 decibel sub boost button to compensate for the lower LFE tracks when using hdmi and analog. The low LFE occurs when using hdmi/analog to receive PCM,dolby digital plus and dolby true hd. It also occurs when listening to dvd audio/sacd. There's a huge discussion on this at AVS. The settings need to also be input dependent so we can set them, calibrate and not have to mess with them again.

If you use hd dvd or blu ray, you have probably noticed the low LFE issue. The discs are purposely being mastered this way so that when you calibrate using a disc it is balanced out. BUT, when you go to play a movie the LFE channel is usually around 10db lower than the rest of the channels. THis is a big annoyance and I hope the LFE boost option is available on the new pre pro.
Panasonic TH50PHD7UY HD Plasma
Toshiba HD-XA2 HdDvd Player
Panasonic BD-10 BluRay Player
Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
Paradigm CC690 Center v.4
Paradigm ADP470 Side & rear surrounds
SVS PB12 Plus/2 Sub

#19740 - 03/13/07 07:47 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
As to locking onto 7.1 decoding until the user turns it off the Outlaw 950 does not have this functionality. I don't know about the 990, but Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, and a few others have this feature.

You have a choice of AUTO back surround decoding (only turns on when the data stream is flagged), ON [overlays DD PLIIx--or possibly Circle Surround 7.1 or Logic7 depending on the brand and features--onto any source from PCM to DTS until it hits a format that uses discrete back channel(s) like DTS-ES 6.1 or 6.1/7.1 PCM, TrueHD, or DTS-HD and then those formats take over], or OFF.

That's a very simple feature and it's very handy too.

The upcoming top end Sherwood Newcastle receiver is supposed to sport six HDMI 1.3 inputs and possibly 2 HDMI 1.3 outputs.

The summer/fall Denon and Marantz receivers for 2007 from their upper mid to high end models are expected to include four or more HDMI 1.3 inputs, all the latest audio formats for Blu-ray and HD-DVD, DeepColor support, and full 1080p upscaling and pass-through features.

Why can't an Outlaw pre-amp that's a little more than the 990 have these features (and more) with better sound quality since the amplifiers have been dropped?

This is not a lot to ask, especially if they get help from Dolby and DTS in implementing the decoding software properly.

#19741 - 03/13/07 10:14 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
As to locking onto 7.1 decoding until the user turns it off the Outlaw 950 does not have this functionality. I don't know about the 990, but Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, and a few others have this feature.
I'm not sure I follow this. Both the 950 and 990 allow you to "train" them for each input so that it would apply the preferred decoding for each different input signal (PCM stereo, Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1) - for example, I've long used a 6.1 or 7.1 processing mode to PCM stereo and Dolby 2.0 video sources (PLII+CES on the 950, PLIIx on the 990) while also using a surround back matrix decoding scheme with 5.1 sources (DD+CES and DTS+CES on the 950, DD+PLIIx and DTS+PLIIx on the 990). Flagged Dolby EX and DTS ES Discrete sources of course must be allowed to engage their proper decoding formats, but that doesn't interfere with my other preferences. I consider some memory like this to be an essential feature for a surround processor. The geek in me really likes the way that Anthem and Lexicon handle it (each input having a whole screen of input types and the corresponding user preferred processing), but that approach makes for a menacingly complex user interface for most users - which doesn't fit well with Outlaw's design approach.
Quote:
The upcoming top end Sherwood Newcastle receiver is supposed to sport six HDMI 1.3 inputs and possibly 2 HDMI 1.3 outputs.
Yes, but the hardware sample that was on display at CES just two months ago only had four inputs and one output - that makes for some major hardware revisions, to the point where I question their goal of an August release date. My personal doubts aside, I like their decision to move up to six inputs and I think that two outputs would not be a bad idea. I wonder how much more complex that makes getting HDCP compliance right (maybe none, maybe a bunch).
Quote:
The summer/fall Denon and Marantz receivers for 1997 from their upper mid to high end models are expected to include four or more HDMI 1.3 inputs, all the latest audio formats for Blu-ray and HD-DVD, DeepColor support, and full 1080p upscaling and pass-through features.

Why can't an Outlaw pre-amp that's a little more than the 990 have these features (and more) with better sound quality since the amplifiers have been dropped?
I'd say that that's exactly what we can expect from the 990's eventual replacement. It's not a question of "why can't it?" so much as it is a question of "when can it be ready?" Denon and Marantz will likely get them to market by early fall, but they share the R&D might of D&M Holding and all that entails. They also can expect to replace those first models within one year (very possibly nine months) with something that polishes the rough edges off of all this new technology. The 990's replacement will need to stand on its own in the market for a good three years, so they can't afford to leave things to be fixed "in the next model." It'll come - but not before Denon and Marantz get there. We might see it as soon as early 2008 (call it a year from now), if they catch some lucky breaks along the way.

#19742 - 03/14/07 08:55 AM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
I may be bucking the trend, but I'm not anxious to see outlaw rush to market with an HDMI 1.3 processor.
I'm a bit leary of the new sound formats as none of the early disc players from either camp provided a 7.1 listening solution. I would think there would be a reason for that.
Beyond that, we all revere Outlaw for it's superior processing at a reasonable cost. As early adopters have found out, many early generation products offer niether. It would be hard to visualize Outlaw being able to do so until the technology has matured a bit.
Those of us that are SACD/ DVD-A lovers have suffered along with processing in the source device and it's not been any huge burden. It will be more of a problem as we have to make choices as to what stays plugged into the 7.1 analog inputs. I think an outboard switcher, possibly with both 7.1 analog and HDMI switching capability would be a nobel product, But I'd hate to see the quality of the 990 degraded with less than superior processing or see the price shoot up to the point that we can't afford the unit.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#19743 - 03/14/07 09:21 AM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Actually, I share your sentiment - when they do an HDMI v1.3 processor, it needs to be done right but it doesn't necessarily need to be the first one done. At this point, though, I wouldn't develop a next generation processor without v1.3 just because of the demands of the marketplace. In the meanwhile, the 990's still a strong product. smile

#19744 - 03/17/07 11:22 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
Bri1270 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mass
Another vote for HDMI matrix switching (maybe even a built in equalizer for those longer runs). I'd love to be able to run an HDMI to my PDP and one to my projector, both from the 990.

#19745 - 03/21/07 07:12 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

gonk,

I see you haven't played with Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite receivers for a while. Download a manual (say for the Pioneer Elite 84) and you'll see what I'm talking about as to 7.1 decoding. It doesn't sound like the Outlaws can do this yet. It's a matter of software ergonomics.

As for Sherwood Newcastle, doesn't Outlaw have their newer pre-amps manufactured at the same plant?

I'd like to see Outlaw use the best DAC's possible too. I believe ARCAM uses top of the line Wolfson's and their products are some of the best sounding at any price IMHO. Of course, ARCAM also tries to keep the noise floor at a bare minimum too and uses very good capacitors, power supplies, and circuit board designs. They are not hugely expensive products either.

Dan

#19746 - 03/21/07 11:48 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've picked through the Pioneer Elite 84 manual at some length and haven't seen anything there regarding 7.1 processing that isn't already implemented in the 990 and 1070/970 (excluding THX modes and HDMI audio input, of course).

The Model 990 is built by Etronics and based on an Etronics platform (the Sherwood P-965). It is possible that next generation of Outlaw gear could be built by Etronics as well, in which case it's likely that the platform being developed for the Sherwood receiver would be used by Outlaw. That still doesn't change the fact that I doubt Sherwood can get their receiver onto shelves by August. Outlaw also has a long-standing relationship with Eastech (their partner for the 1070/970), so it's impossible to say that Outlaw's eventual HDMI v1.3 offerings will come from Etronics' assembly line.

#19747 - 06/08/07 09:38 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Well, for the most part it looks like Onkyo's Integra line has heard some of my pleas.

They are releasing the DTC-9.8 pre-amplifier with all the new audio formats, ProLogic IIx processing of any 5.0/5.1 signal (including PCM, TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS Master Audio), accepting of all 8 possible channels with up to 24 bit/192 kHz resolution (with full 24/192 capable DSP and Audyssey overlays), eight Burr-Brown 1796 DAC's, four HDMI 1.3 inputs, Silicon Optix Reon-VX video processing, eight balanced XLR outputs, home automation command and control plug in communication, 12 volt triggers, toroidial transformer, separate power supplies for audio and video sections, three processing engines, updateable, master clock circuit for low jitter, variable cross-overs for all speaker pairs, Audyssey calibration, A/V synch, HD Radio, Sirius and XM HD ready, etc.

Price? $1,600!

I truly would like to see what Outlaw would do to better this... better parts, better sound, etc. Hmmm...

Dan

Page 11 of 17 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM