Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 >
Topic Options
#19658 - 01/02/06 03:21 AM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
For me, I find that video switching is at the heart of a pre/pro. Most TV's do not have great speakers in them and are used as monitors with the video channel being directed to the display and audio being directed to external speakers. I would find it difficult to have a SS system with 4 or more outputs going to an HDTV which may have only one or two HD inputs. You would be asking for another device to do the video switching anyway, why not have the audio and video being switched by the same device?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#19659 - 02/01/06 03:14 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
3no Offline
Gunslinger

I second the request for rack mount ears option.

#19660 - 02/03/06 03:54 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
westy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston MA
Ditch DVI go to HDMI (to get around the 8 bit word length of DVI)

Modularize the HDMI support so that you can change a board or chip to upgrade

Transcode everything to HDMI

Add support for SACD and DVD-Audio + the new HD formats add i.Link support (would use the same processing as HDMI based versions anyway)

Decrease the depth of the thing, it doesn't fit most cabinets and racks

#19661 - 02/10/06 06:56 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
MarkBK Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle America
Less composite and S-Video inputs. I'd rather see more multi-channel analog inputs for SACD, etc than the number of composite/S-Video inputs currently on MOST AV products including the 990. I can only think of two devices at this time - Video camera and an old VCR - what to do with all the others?

#19662 - 02/11/06 06:54 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
HDMI Version 1.3 (or better) A/V inputs (four or more)... must allow for all HDMI certified audio and video permutations with fully transparent digital video pass through switching.

HDMI outputs (perhaps two)

Firewire A/V inputs/outputs. Perhaps at least one of each for legacy support.

Cut down on costs and back panel real estate by having a lot fewer standard toslink and coaxial inputs because everything seems to be going HDMI. The same with DVI (just eliminate it) because you can use an adapter if need be.

Multiple 32 bit audio processing engines that allows for true 24/192 resolution manipulation (from tone control to parametric equalization, etc.) and high end upconversion of lower resoluton sources on all channels for all formats.

Apogee pro-grade master clock (or something similar in quality for less jitter and error rates across the board).

Multiple sophisticated DSP engines to handle onboard decoding of ALL permutations and resolutions/channels of (this will take A LOT of horsepower):

DTS-HD (lossy and bit-for-bit master lossless modes)

Dolby Digital TrueHD Lossless

Dolby Digital Plus

Uncompressed 24/192, 8 channel LPCM

[and if possible] true Direct Stream Digital (DSD)

DSP mode that will allow stereo back channel matrix decoding for 2 channel up to 5.1 channel material... perhaps Dolby ProLogic IIx can be applied to any and all formats when the user requires it.

8 channel decoding for all formats can be user defaulted to ON until you want to turn that feature OFF. Let's say your watching such and such a format with a stereo source and you want ProLogic IIx (8 channel decode mode with stereo matrix back surrounds), then you jump to a DTS-HD (or Dolby Digital TrueHD) track with 5.1 or 6.1 channels and want to create stereo back channel decoding using Dolby ProLogic IIx, then 8 channel decoding stays ON all the way through. Or if you're going from a stereo surround source using ProLogic IIx and then popping over to a track on Blu-Ray with 8 discrete channels... 8 channel mode stays on the whole time. This feature is like what new Denon receivers do and is easier then having to turn on 8 channel surround decoding EVERY single time you change to a different audio format that isn't flagged as such (like with your Outlaw 950, which I own). Obviously, if the data is flagged for discrete back channels anyway (such as uncompressed LPCM tracks, or Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Lossless), the processor would allow that instruction to take over. Complicated explanation, I know.

Pro-grade Wolfsen (or better) premium audio DAC's (that can handle 24/192 and greater resolutions and sampling rates) on all channels. Double DAC's for all channels, if there is a sonic advantage to running in dual-differential mode.

High end, ultra-low noise parts

Durable circuit boards

Adequate ventilation and quiet cooling (these newer formats and DSP engines require lots of decoding power, and I'm sure the chips get much hotter than before).

Software (user based) and hardware upgradeable (need enough extra data storage headroom for software and format changes and additions, with MIPS processing to spare)

Multiple, low noise power supplies

Fully balanced topography

XLR balanced outputs for all channels.

Stereo (or even surround) subwoofer outputs (XLR too)

Extra assignable audio outputs (XLR and RCA) in case mixers want to use the 8 channel discrete capabilites of Blu-Ray & HD-DVD for extra screen channels and/or height channels besides the regular 7.1 speaker layout (it could happen!).

Output for bass shakers with adjustable crossover frequencies (if possible within a certain cost outlay).

Fully adjustable delay, crossovers, and slopes for ALL channels.

32 bit, no loss quality, full range parametric equalization for all channels.

Total processing/tone bypass control.

At least one high bandwidth 5.1 or 7.1 analog input with no digital conversion (strait to volume control) and a properly working, properly phased full-analog 80 Hz crossover (switchable).

NO TUNER

NO LCD FRONT PANEL (one more thing to wear out!)

User assignable input/output names

No need for fluffy bells and whistles... just a lean, mean, high quality A/V machine that can go up against the likes of Arcam and other high end brands noted for their pristine audio quality.

And other necessary stuff...

If you can do this for $2,500 and can get good reviews I'd bite!

#19663 - 02/11/06 08:11 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hitchman:
...just a lean, mean, high quality A/V machine...

If you can do this for $2,500 and can get good reviews I'd bite!
You're kidding, right? If $2,500 is "lean and mean", then I'm in the wrong place!

Do you REALLY think that ANYONE can do all of what you are looking for at ANY price for at least a year or so, and then only at a price that would hvae to be in excess of $3,000?

Sure, I'd love to have all of that at $2,500, too, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#19664 - 02/11/06 08:47 PM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think it's pretty clear that Dan's list is a "dream" wish list - after all, it includes HDMI 1.3, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Digital Plus - all of which would require the HDMI 1.3 standard to actually be published. smile

#19665 - 03/01/06 12:42 AM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
bigdwest Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tulsa, OK
First let me thank Outlaw for listening so closely to your customer base and really creating a different and positive experience for the audio/video community.

I would like to add some items to the list of feature for future generations of outlaw products:

I will arrange my list into two categories absolute must haves and then my wish list.

Must have features:

• Automatic speaker setup with room correction / equalization and base management (Pioneer’s Advanded MCACC with phase control / Audussey MultEQ) and base management – I have lived with this feature for a little over 3 years now. Starting with Yamaha’s YPAO, a short lived stint with Denon’s Audussey MultEQ, and now Pioneers Advanced MCACC with Phase control. I believe Outlaws base management options (individual speaker bass management controls) to be superior to the bass management features on brands listed above but I Outlaws base management was combined with room correction/EQ I would have been sold

It was for this feature set alone that I didn’t buy an Outlaw 990.

After experiencing the dramatic effects these systems have on the overall sound quality I will never go back to a system without it. These systems seem to bring out the detail, increase the focus, add depth to the sound stage and just make the sound snap into place. Especially, since theater room has to share duties as a living room. Which I would believe to be similar to many buyers of the Outlaw products.

I will note that of the three systems mentioned above Pioneer’s implementation of the room correction/EQ software is by far the best implementation I have worked with to date. It is the most detailed in its configuration, offers 6 memory settings for slightly different EQ configurations which the user can scroll through from the remote while listen to any source. The Pioneer offering allows you to copy one room correction/EQ configuration to a second memory position and then make minor manual adjustments to all aspects of the room correction/EQ functions including speaker management and bass management. This feature is great for a variety of situations. One example is where you have a CD which is overly bright, you can create an EQ configuration for those recordings. All in all I love the sound produced by the out of the box automatic configuration.

One more note on the Room EQ and Correction software. Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha do not offer the room correction / EQ or bass management on the Multi channel analog inputs, which is a disappointment. It is understood that it would require another analog to digital back to analog conversion but, I believe the benefit you gain from the room correction EQ and base management will make up for whatever perceived losses there might be. If Outlaw could offer a user selectable option for analog to digital conversion on the multi channel audio inputs where room correction/EQ and bass management can be applied that would be hugely appreciated. There should be a method were by there is no loss in sound quality because of the digital to analog to digital conversion. If Theta, Meridian and Anthem seem do it, I would think Outlaw could do it as well at a very cost effective option.

• I,link, HDMI, and either USB or Ethernet connections for digital audio support - Of these connections i.link and HDMI are he most critical. i.link, if implemented correctly offers one of the best digital audio transmission options available. A gitter free digitial audio connection which can support at least 8 channels of lossless audio. It is already certified for transmission of both DVD-Audio and SACD.

Another benefit is with both Windows Vista and the newest MAC OS’s will support transmission of lossless digital audio via i.link (basically the receiver becomes a sound card at that point). As much as so many audiophiles may want to fight it, the PC has the ability to be one of the most enjoyable audio/videophile sources in your audio rack. Lossless audio, HD Video, with tons storage and i.link providing for that perfect connection between the PC and pre/pro.

HDMI with audio support is a given requirement. HDMI seems to be the digital AV connection of choice for the consumer electronics industry. Now with that said HDMI 1.2 support is a must as the format is already settled.

Also greatly desired is switching for at least 4 HDMI devices (4 in 1 out). Up/down conversion/transcoding from analog to HDMI is also a must. Please make sure the HDMI connections are full HDCP compliant.

It is the lack of the above features which keep me from buying the Outlaw 990 witch I would gladly upgrade to.

Wish List:

• Pro/Pro built on a card based, user configurable architecture -

Integra Research with its card based upgradable pre/pro is extremely smart and is the only truly affordable pro/pro of this design (Meridian offers this architecture in their 800 reference series designs and there are others which offer a similar platform). Now Integra Research will likely not succeed with its platform simply because it does not have the powerful distribution channel which Outlaw has. Think about it Integra has this pre/pro configurator and then when you finish configuring the pre/pro you then have to go find a dealer. With the direct to consumer business model the consumer decides what options he/she needs and when the configuration is complete they can buy immediately.

A card based platform of this type offers both the consumer and Outlaw many benefits. I will address the high level benefits of both the consumer then Outlaw (you would like a more detailed list please feel free to contact me directly:

Consumer:
o The consumer can choose the features which her or she really needs or wants - I have notice many post not only here but also in many other audio forms where consumers have desperately wanted to option to include or exclude certain features from the pre/pro, a card based/modular architecture would support this desire.
o As new connection options (HDMI specs, Fireware, USB audio, no telling what my be next) become available the user can upgrade to the items they need by the inclusion or replacement of a card instead of having to replace the entire pre/pro
o As new audio decoding/encoding specs become available (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD, etc) the user can replace the processing module if that is not upgradable via software upgrade.
o Now one feature which would be great is if the consumer had the option of output stages, ie unbalance (most cost effective), Balanced XLR (next most cost effective, balance/unbalance but with a tube stage, and then when market adoption has reached critical mass offer a pure digitial PCM output stage for those which have adopted active speakers (similar to what Meridian is now doing).

Outlaw:
o Lower long term development cost – Once you have developed a strong stable platform/architecture your design approach becomes modular. You can develop best of bread solutions into a card which interacts with a core platform.
o Lower production cost - a good part of your production cost goes into parts which may or may not be needed by end users. For example, I have very little need for analog audio or video inputs in my pre/pro. Almost all my audio connections are digital and definitely all my video connections are over HDMI/DVI
o Outlaw can experiment with new technologies without having to do a ground up redesign of the entire product.
o Outlaw can offer a modular pricing module. Because of customer choice some customer are will to pay more for certain features over other but those extreme cost conscience people can enjoy the best their budget can afford for now and upgrade later as their budget permits

• A video scaler to the quality of either DVDO’s iScan VP30 or Silicon Optics Realta for all none HD and analog sources on the HDMI output

#19666 - 03/01/06 08:21 AM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
bigdwest Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Oh and one last item to add to my wish list. A facial update.

Compared to the competition it's competition it looks a little neanderthalish.

Take some typing cues from Anthem, Pioneer, or if you realy wanted to get fancy Classe's delta like or Meridian's G line. I would hate that the center piece in my audio rack is the ugly duckling of all my equipment.

#19667 - 03/01/06 11:43 AM Re: Next Gen 990 suggestions
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Just out of curiosity, what would you be willing to pay for the product you describe above?

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts