Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19622 - 05/23/05 05:43 PM Zektor-like multi-channel switcher
theaudiohiffle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Holyoke, MA
Some of us who are more into multi-channel music than HT still use multiple preamps to drive six channels. Others of us use multichannel preamps, some of which only have one set of multi-channel analog bypasses. And lots of receivers are in that boat.

An inexpensive but quality switcher, tied to any universal remote, that allowed say a DVD-A/DVD player, a SACD player, and the input from a hi-rez TV to be switched would be welcome.

And if you could add a passive attenuator for all six channels to serve as a master volume control, so much the better (perhaps one model with attenuation, another switch only?)

#19623 - 05/31/05 09:49 PM Re: Zektor-like multi-channel switcher
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Darned good idea.
Here's Zektor's link:

http://www.zektor.com/mas3/index.html

It sounds like what your'e suggesting is a HDMI-"type" switcher, that handles analog 5.1. Being new at this I don't know if it exists. Maybe Scott or gonk knows.

If not, maybe a macro in a 850 universal remote would switch the zektor to whatever channel: 1-2-3 and into the 7.1 990 input while switching the DVI if needed, thereby seemingly confused [corrrect me if my understnading is wrong] simulating what you're asking for.

I'd like it. laugh
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#19624 - 04/08/06 10:12 AM Re: Zektor-like multi-channel switcher
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Zektor has a newer models now Zektor website-multi channel switching which do more. However if you just want to be able to access 990's 7.1 inputs from several sources a very flexible method which I use is a Behringer patchbay. This can be normalled, half-normalled, or thru. I use it normalled from one source. When I want a different source fed to my 7.1 direct I simply "patch" the other source. Can have more than just those two. Also it was $50 delivered. laugh
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer

#19625 - 07/06/06 07:12 PM Re: Zektor-like multi-channel switcher
Raistlin_HT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I would like to say I too was about to post a similar product suggestion.

However, I would love to see it taken one step further. As Zektor is really one of the few to offer such a device, obviously this market is wide-open ... but I feel Outlaw can and should combine it with some of their previous technology in order to really bring unique component to the HT world.

Basically, I want to see a multi-channel switcher combined with analog bass management. When you think about it, there really is a need for such a device.

Nearly all current pre/pros and receivers have only 1 set of 7.1 inputs. Not only is that problematic for those with separate SACD and DVD-A players, but what happens now that BluRay and HD-DVD are coming out? It’s going to be a while before HDMI settles out, and many people are holding back from a new pre/pro or receiver purchase because of this. The only way they will be able to achieve high-quality sound will be using their 7.1 inputs.

What I would like to see is a switcher that has 4 sets of 8 channel inputs (or 2 sets with 8, and 2 sets with 6). This will, it will be able to accommodate SACD, DVD-A, BluRay, and HD-DVD.

It would also be nice to have a couple of stereo analog inputs as well. There are a number of receivers and pre/pros that do not offer a true analog bypass in anything but their 7.1 input. Offering a few extra stereo inputs would allow people to connect their high-end CD players, DACs, phono preamps, etc. as well.

Simply offering this would be great, as it would already trump the Zektor units. However, it does not address another common problem – bass management. Many receivers and pre/pros either have no bass management on their 7.1 inputs, or worse-yet, actually do the bass management in the digital domain.

While the components themselves may offer bass management, many times it is poorly implemented or inflexible. Actually, several units force different crossover points depending on what format you are using (for example, DolbyDigital movies versus SACD).

Offering top tier bass management in conjunction with the switching would simply be an incredible product. What I would like to see are actually 2 separately programmable bass management configurations that are selectable. Something like a movie and music setting. If it makes it easier, simply have a toggle that switches between a quad-crossover setting (music), and a separately defined global crossover setting (movies) … as that is how the vast majority of people would use it. No need to store two separate quad-crossover settings.

The other important thing to consider is usability. I would like to see it have a toggle for manual or auto switching (the commonly used priority-based), plus also offer remote control. The remote control need not be complicated. Simply offer: a toggle between auto/manual, direct input buttons for each input, and a toggle for the bass management (music mode, movie mode, and off).

You could certainly get cute, and offer such things as analog ‘volume stabilization’ (compression adjustment for night-time viewing), but stuff like that is just icing.

In summary:

• 4 sets of 8-channel inputs (or 2 sets w/8 and 2 sets w/6)
• A couple of stereo inputs
• Bass Management that can be toggled between quad crossover and a global setting (and off)
• Auto-switching, w/ manual override
• Remote that can turn auto switching on/off, directly select each input, and select bass management (quad settings, separate global setting, and off)

#19626 - 07/06/06 08:12 PM Re: Zektor-like multi-channel switcher
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

I'm in total agreement with Raistlin_HT.
My solution is based on simplicity, a long history with patching, and trying to be frugal ("cheap") and it works well and has no colortion or anything.

Admittedly switchers can be without color too.
I like your ideas. Scott reads the forum, but you might send him a P.M.
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV

My "Man-cave":
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer

#19627 - 07/08/06 10:44 PM Re: Zektor-like multi-channel switcher
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I will just add a second (or a third) to the thoughts listed in this thread. With all the digital formats still a bit in the air, a nice multi-channel analog switcher with bass management would find a home in plenty of systems. cool

#19628 - 07/08/06 11:41 PM Re: Zektor-like multi-channel switcher
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It sounds like the concensus here is that a 7.1 version of the ICBM with the addition of switching for two or three inputs would be a popular product. smile

#19629 - 07/12/06 07:18 PM Re: Zektor-like multi-channel switcher
Raistlin_HT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Man gonk ... you really get around!!

Here ... AVS ... av123 smile

#19630 - 07/12/06 10:02 PM Re: Zektor-like multi-channel switcher
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Of course. I don't keep real close track of AVS (too big, I just skim through a few forums on occasion and watch a few particular threads such as the two OPPO discussions), but I skim through AV123 a bit and of course spend a good bit of time here - this is where I hung out when I was really starting to get into the hobby. At times in the past I've poked around at HTF with some regularity, but that was a while back.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts