Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19606 - 04/30/05 09:20 AM Technology Savy Pre/Pro
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
The problem with the 990 (or any other brand) is they become technology obsolete very quickly. This is bad for the company selling them as well as the customer. Why not make a receiver that is modular and issues like DVI go away.

Sell the base processor in a 2U package with optional addons like:

- 2U Tuner AM/FM today, Satellight tommorrow
- 2U Digital DVI Module, HDMI tomorrow
- 2U Analog SVideo/Composite Input/Output
- 2U Balanced Input/Output module
- 2U Gaming Module (PC)

That way the customer will always be coming back to you for new modules when new technology come out and people will be able to setup a base system with a 7100/Base unit for not much more than the 1070 will be.

Also, I don't care if I ever get a Tuner, but to someone else it may be very important. Others will want Balanced Input/Output. Some will want the "works" with 7 x 2U Monoblocks.

The point is, you don't have to keep retooling, and everyone would buy into company that plans to be there for them for years to come, with new and replacement modules.

Even if the Base Processor becomes obsolete, the balanced Input/Output module can probably be used for 15 years or more..

You could also have replacable faceplates which would still allow new modules to be connected to look like one unit, although tuner is about the only one I can think of that may need it.

#19607 - 04/30/05 06:39 PM Re: Technology Savy Pre/Pro
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
You can see a recent discussion about this, as well as a link to the info on an Onkyo unit that is configured in a modular fashion Here .

The sword of technology cuts both ways, unfortunately. In the case of an upgradeable unit, it would seem that those of us loathe to blow our 401k's on a new pre/pro would want the security of an upgradeable platform.

However, the manufacturer would have to be very careful in how it implements its upgrades so as to ensure compatibility and ease of installation/usage (and still offer a warranty). The result would be upgrades that are slow to arrive and expensive. Not to mention the fact that the consumer would rely on the manufacturer to continue support of the old hardware once a newer standard comes along (as in the PC world, but even less likely).

My guess is, unless Onkyo's unit makes a business case for configurability, we'll continue to recycle our hardware (or keep it and show people proudly that "they don't make 'em like this anymore" wink ).

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts