Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#196 - 08/01/01 08:55 PM Yet Another 1050 Inductee
Audioholic Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: MI
Just wanted to say that I'm impressed with my new Outlaw 1050 receiver. Ordering/customer service was first class with 2 day delivery and excellent double-boxed packaging. I've had the 1050 for 3.5 weeks now and have had a chance to put it through the paces with different sources, utilizing Dolby Pro Logic, DD 5.1, DD w/Outlaw's 6.1, and DTS. Clarity and musicality is excellent, surround performance is first class. At the price point the 1050 is being offered at I haven't seen any 6-channel receiver that compares to it until you double (or triple) its cost.
Does anyone in this forum know what the ratings are for the dynamic headroom, peak output, or the slew rate of the amp section? I'm very impressed with the amplifier's performance, for a rating of 65 WPC there seems to be plenty of dynamic headroom and it also seems to be "fast" in handling transient responses. Those specs aren't listed in the owner's guide and I'm quite curious what the numbers are. I have several high-powered receivers I've collected over the years (Pioneer SX-1250, Sansui G-8000, Yamaha R-1000, Kyocera R-851) and a couple of high-power amps (Yamaha B-6, Onkyo M-504) so traditionally wouldn't consider units less than 100 WPC but all of the reviews I read on the 1050 indicated that the amplifier section is sufficient for all but oversized rooms with inefficient speakers. I have to agree with that assessment, so far I've been able to watch movies at movie theatre levels or louder (my ear's bleeding again?) without a hint of distortion or clipping.
Another area the receiver does well in is playing two-channel music. I use an independent system (Roksan separates) for listening to stereo music but hooked up an extra CD player to the 1050 to check its two-channel performance and I must admit it sounds great, especially for something classified as a home theatre receiver that sells for less than what some people spend on cables. Too bad there's no phono preamp built in, I would kind of like to test the 1050 with my Linn LP12 just for giggles.
My first home theater receiver was a Sony STR-DE635 (a cheapie) that was bought as a stopgap to get into Dolby Digital while the formats stabilized. The Sony had lots of features and over twenty DSP modes but made two-channel music unlistenable to all but the deaf and was overly bright/harsh on movies. The only time I used the DSP's was to compensate for the mediochre sound the receiver was putting out. Overall I highly recommend the Outlaw 1050 to anyone who demands great performance to value in audio equipment. Any schmuck with $20-30,000 to spend on home theater can get something that sounds great but for those with audio budgets based on reality (and those with spouses that read the credit card bills) the 1050 sounds great, has usable features, and leaves money in your account for other vices.

#197 - 08/02/01 01:10 AM Re: Yet Another 1050 Inductee
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I have to agree with you, AudioHolic. My wife was more than happy I decided to buy something much cheaper than what I was originally looking at when I set up our home theater a few weeks ago. I am more than pleased with my 1050. The only drawback I've been able to find is the S-video feedthrough (currently being discussed in the "1050 problem?" message thread).

By the way, I recently used the forced 6.1 sound on the Matrix dvd... very cool. The rooftop bullet dodging sequence puts bullets flying directly behind you! Too much fun!

#198 - 08/02/01 04:40 AM Re: Yet Another 1050 Inductee
Bryan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CA
I too couldnt be happier. I have a buddy with 10 speakers hooked up to to seperate amps (he like music everywhere including a speaker in the bathroom) and he's always fussing over his sound.

I let him listen to my 1050 using some of his CD's Oystein Savag, Peter Gabriel and soundtrack for Gladiator!

He couldn't believe how much better the sound was. His system is just loud, but my 1050 is so rich and dynamic sounding no tinny treble or maxed out bass. There are tones he heard that you dont here on his system. Suffice to say I love it, and I only payed $499.00. Man this receiver is the best kept secret around for those budget minded folks wanting not just a good receiver for very little cash, but a commercial grade high quality receiver.

Dont know if you folks know, but c-net Already ranks the 1050 an editors choice.

http://electronics.cnet.com/cgi/CEPDetail.asp?ptable=Receivers&pid=1000549&

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts