Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19506 - 03/16/04 12:13 AM Status?
ericlp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eugene, oregon
So what is the status of the new 1050? any new NEWS?

I bet outlaw is losing $$ because of this... Sigh, I wonder how many people that can't afford 800 bucks plus another 800 for pre amp are taking dollars else where? Oh well...

#19507 - 03/16/04 07:58 AM Re: Status?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The last newsletter went out in early February. I'd expect another one between now and tax day.

I got the impression from the announcement of the 1050's retirement that they did it knowing it would be mid-2004 at the earliest before a replacement was available. New product development time for a small company like Outlaw (especially with a product as complex as a surround sound receiver) is a big deal, and they want to make sure they have the new receiver done right before they unveil it. Oh, and expect them to be pretty tight-lipped about it until they have beta samples in their hot little hands; they gave us lots of info about the 950 during its development and ended up getting burned because people got impatient for it.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#19508 - 04/12/04 02:57 PM Re: Status?
Huffer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Has there been any new word on the replacement 1050?

Sorry if it's been brought up before.

Thanks!

#19509 - 04/12/04 04:35 PM Re: Status?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
No new info so far but I can’t wait to see what they come up with. I still don’t see how Outlaw can release a new receiver with all the latest features like ProLogic IIx and others without releasing a big brother to the 950 at the same time. It would be like cutting there own throats (financially) to release a better (read more features) receiver than there current high end Pre/Pro. Am I the only one who noticed this problem? Hopefully they will release both new products this year Just my .02

Lasher

#19510 - 04/12/04 05:21 PM Re: Status?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I'd noticed that, too, but figured it would work out better than any other approach to replacing the 1050. The 1050's replacement will arrive this year, but I doubt a big brother or successor to the 950 will show up until next year (and I do think that timeline -- receiver in 2004, pre/pro a year or so later around late 2005 or early 2006 -- is fairly likely, although I have no evidence to back that up). Will that order hurt Outlaw? If anything, it will help overall (and the reverse would have hurt, since the 1050 was clearly ready to be retired and the 950 still has some a good run left in it). A PLIIx receiver in the tradition of the 1050 would not necessarily invalidate the 950. PLIIx by itself isn't adding a lot, especially for anyone using 5.1 or 6.1 speaker systems. If they do incorporate a significant number of the features that 950 owners have suggested, there will very likely be some cannibilization of 950 sales in favor of the new receiver as pre/pro or in favor of 950/7100 sets, but the 950 will still have a market -- and their return to the receiver market should more than balance out any reduction in 950 sales.

Plus it's likely going to be a great tease for what we might see in their next pre/pro...

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#19511 - 04/13/04 05:54 PM Re: Status?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Hi Gonk,
Quote:

Originally posted by gonk
The 1050's replacement will arrive this year

I just read this thread. What do we know so far, and what has Outlaw said so far, about this future receiver?

Will

#19512 - 04/13/04 06:46 PM Re: Status?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Taken directly from the Mid-Fall 2003 newsletter:

Quote:
With the Model 1050 gone from the scene, we expect that the most logical question is "What will replace it?" Planning has been underway for some time on a brand new model to fill the void left by the end of the Model 1050, and initial design work is already in full swing. The feature set is fairly well defined, though we certainly welcome any comments or ideas you might have in the "New Product Suggestions" area of the Outlaw Saloon. At this point, however, it is simply too soon to discuss any other specific details of the 1050's successor other than to say that the end result will be a worthy successor to what has become an audio classic.

Please note that our "we'll take the time needed to get it right" philosophy, along with the simple fact that it takes a considerable amount to time to design, build, test and bring a new unit into production from the ground up, means that it will be the middle of next year at the earliest before the 1050's replacement is available. One final note on that subject that we ask you to extract from the last sentence: Lest there be any doubt, our next receiver will be a totally new, zero-based design conceived by the Outlaws. It will not be a derivative of any product currently on the market, or planned for the market. The feature set will be a logical combination of the things that you want, without adding any technologies that will jeopardize the price or which are not yet "ready for prime time".

Summary: new design receiver with a feature set that will at least fit in with the current market, expected no earlier than mid-year and very likely closer to year-end.

Fairly safe assumptions that have no basis in fact: Expect no additional official information until they are in a position to be conducting beta tests. Input options somewhere between the 1050 and 950 (probably more digital inputs than the 1050 had, probably no more inputs than the 950 offers), and once again no phono input. Take the processing modes found on the 950, presumably add Pro Logic IIx, perhaps toss aside CES because of the presence of PL IIx. Assume an amp section comparable to the 1050. Video switching probably similar to that included in the 950 (component switching is more common today than it was when the 1050 came out).

Wild guesses: Endless...

------------------

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited April 13, 2004).]

#19513 - 04/13/04 06:56 PM Re: Status?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I'd noticed that, too, but figured it would work out better than any other approach to replacing the 1050. The 1050's replacement will arrive this year, but I doubt a big brother or successor to the 950 will show up until next year (and I do think that timeline -- receiver in 2004, pre/pro a year or so later around late 2005 or early 2006 -- is fairly likely, although I have no evidence to back that up). Will that order hurt Outlaw? If anything, it will help overall (and the reverse would have hurt, since the 1050 was clearly ready to be retired and the 950 still has some a good run left in it). A PLIIx receiver in the tradition of the 1050 would not necessarily invalidate the 950. PLIIx by itself isn't adding a lot, especially for anyone using 5.1 or 6.1 speaker systems. If they do incorporate a significant number of the features that 950 owners have suggested, there will very likely be some cannibilization of 950 sales in favor of the new receiver as pre/pro or in favor of 950/7100 sets, but the 950 will still have a market -- and their return to the receiver market should more than balance out any reduction in 950 sales.

Plus it's likely going to be a great tease for what we might see in their next pre/pro...

I can almost see the marketing staff at Outlaw with grin on their faces while looking at this thread.

Just imagine the manager going, “This gonk guy, he knows too much! He’s jeopardizing our business. We gotta do something. Scott, you have his address?”

Anticipation, anxiety and even frustration. Makes it that much more exciting when it comes out. I wonder if Outlaw is using this psychology tactic…

#19514 - 04/15/04 01:03 AM Re: Status?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Hi Gonk,

Thanks for the refering me to the Mid-Fall 2003 newsletter. But when I read it, it does not seem to say a new receiver will come out this year. I imagine that when Outlaw has a better idea of when it will come out, they'll be the first to let us know.

Do you think it will be another Eastech design, like before?

Will

#19515 - 04/15/04 08:01 AM Re: Status?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Will - I was going from memory earlier (remembering the comment "middle of next year"). I do suspect that they would not call an end to the 1050 unless they had already made some decent progress on a replacement, which would match well with a mid- to late-2004 release window. As for whether they'll be using Eastech or not, I do not know. There is an existing relationship there, so it is certainly possible.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts