Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19503 - 01/24/04 08:36 PM Outboard Subwoofer EQ
harp795 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville, KY
Having spent my first week with the LFM-1, it's becoming clear that the room resonances are fighting against the subwoofer. No matter where I place the LFM-1, it doesn't sound just right at my listening position. Some frequencies are exaggerated relative to others, some frequencies are non existant (until I stand up and move over 4 ft). I'm beginning to believe that some sort of equalization is crucial in obtaining balance between the room, the mains and the subwoofer. I believe the Outlaws should consider designing some sort of outboard parametric EQ, similiar to Infinity's RABOS system, that users could integrate between the prepro and the subwoofer. Ideally, the EQ would self calibrate through the use of an external microphone and test tones. By electonically attenuating frequencies emphasized by the room, I think you would see a dramatic improvement in sound quality, overall bass response and smoothness and speaker integration in many systems.

Info on RABOS:

www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/technology/technology_whatisrabos.aspx

[This message has been edited by harp795 (edited January 24, 2004).]

#19504 - 01/25/04 03:17 PM Re: Outboard Subwoofer EQ
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
If you had only one listening position, I suppose sufficiently accurate EQ might be a solution. But what about ears that will be listening three, four or six feet from yours? How do you EQ for them separately? Many people, for about the same cost (or less) than accurate, narrow band, low-frequency, automated EQ, add a second subwoofer placed such that the "dead zones" of one are filled in by the "live zones" of the other. It is an imperfect science either way, but the second sub option generally works better for rooms which will be inhabited by multiple listeners.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts