Snake Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Qrlando, Florida
Best universal remote??

#19484 - 11/30/03 09:48 AM Re: Remote Control
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you are suggesting that Outlaw make the best universal remote, I suspect you'll see them continue to re-badge OEM remotes -- which is a good thing, as there are now some excellent remotes available (such as those from Universal Remote's Home Theater Master line). If you are asking for recommendations for the best one, I'd suggest this thread . I still recommend the MX-500 for anyone who likes hard button remotes; the MX-700 is also good if you want a built-in computer interface for programming. Philips' ProntoNeo remote (the entry-level Pronto) seemed pretty disappointing for most users on this forum at one time, although the more expensive Prontos are quite powerful.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#19485 - 04/14/05 08:32 PM Re: Remote Control
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I realize this is digging up a pretty old thread here, but a search turned it up so I thought I'd refresh this with my two pennies rather than post a new topic.

Anyway, all of the discussion about the remote with the new 990 got me thinking about something. Would a higher end remote that was pre-programmed with all of the control codes for the Outlaw Audio receiver or pre/pro of your choice be something that people would want? Maybe Outlaw could get a deal on bulk quantities of something like gonk's favorite MX-500, program it with all of the functionality for the 1050, 1070, 950, 990, RR 2150, or whatever, slap their logo on it and sell it on their site. Customers would just order the remote and specify which unit they'd like it to control, Outlaw loads those codes, and ships it out. That'd give people who don't own a "good" remote something to buy that's already got the hardest device fully configured.

#19486 - 04/14/05 09:02 PM Re: Remote Control
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Great idea !!

#19487 - 04/15/05 09:09 AM Re: Remote Control
merkls Offline
Gunslinger

I second that suggestion!

-SM

#92999 - 03/30/13 09:25 PM Re: Remote Control [Re: Snake]
SRW1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wisconsin
I'm also going to bump this old thread. While there are more remote options now, including apps that run on phones and other devices, it's harder to find high-quality items. Reviews of Harmony devices are mixed, with dependability issues. The Home Theater Master remotes are still awesome, but they've really tried to discourage their use by non-installers by limiting distribution of their software. There are some other options out there, but most are lacking.

I've had my MX-700 for over a decade, and it's served me well, but some of the buttons aren't as responsive as they once were, and it seems like it'll throw out a wonky code occasionally.

I wonder if it would be possible for Outlaw to partner with an manufacturer like HTM (hint, hint) to hit this underserved area.

Scott

#93000 - 03/30/13 10:22 PM Re: Remote Control [Re: SRW1000]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I would second that. I would even settle for Outlaws's remote OEM, UEI, for including Outlaw codes on their other remotes (in my case TimeWarner Cable's Atlas, OCAP UR1056).

Actually, I would settle for knowing any similar device that I could program in into the UR1056 and use to control my RR2150's volume.

Edited by 73Bruin (03/30/13 10:36 PM)
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#93001 - 03/30/13 10:40 PM Re: Remote Control [Re: Snake]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I have the Harmony One and it is the best thing I have ever bought for my system. It is easy to program and very reliable. After almost 5 years I will have to replace the battery but other than that it has been bullet proof. Since it also controls all the other equipment in my system, it would seem pretty daunting for Outlaw to figure out what equipment I need to control and make it happen correctly. The remote has to be very flexible and I have yet to come across a code that the Harmony does not have or cannot learn. It completely controls my Onkyo processor and my OPPO BDP and my DTV box along with a ten year old Samsung DLP. It is also programmed to control my other system and my iPods. There is no way for Outlaw to make $$$ customizing universal remotes but I will volunteer to program anyones Harmony One. You send me all the model numbers of your equipment and your Harmony with your access codes and for a nominal fee I will program it. Then I will send it back and if it works, great, if not you send it back to me and I will try again. If in the future you add or remove some equipment from your system, for the same nominal fee (again) I will reprogram your remote. You can probably see that I will have to charge a substantial fee and you will have to foot the bill for all the shipping and the actual remote. It would appear that my business model will fail but, I will advertise that the Harmony that comes out of my process will provide a higher quality signal which will result in a better picture and cleaner audio because of the absolute lock on the signal to your system. I will also gold plate the charging connectors to provide a better conduction path therefore increasing both battery life and time between charges.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#93003 - 03/31/13 04:50 AM Re: Remote Control [Re: Snake]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Xenon: I don't think Owl's_Warder or anyone else made the suggestion that Outlaw should provide a service of programming remotes. They were only looking for a higher end remote that was preprogrammed to support Outlaw's products. I am frustrated because Outlaw's own OEM, UEI, doesn't apparently think that they are worth supporting in terms of supporting Outlaw's codes on other remotes they make. Yet they support companies like Inkel(Sherwood).
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#93006 - 03/31/13 11:12 AM Re: Remote Control [Re: Snake]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I was certainly being facetious, but I would not expect Outlaw to maintain a line of remotes, in addition to those supplied with the equipment, on the off chance that someone would want to spend more of their bang for the buck on a remote which duplicates the original but is "higher end". Whatever that implies. The universal remotes that are out there already have the capability to fully control whatever Outlaw equipment you own and are much more useful than a single remote. You could have Outlaw preprogram it so you could use it in an HT but the cost would likely be much more than just buying a UR and programming it yourself. Besides which buttons do we really use often enough to preprogram them. Volume, channel, up, down, right, left, menu, DSP scroll. All are already on my 990 remote and are duplicated on the Harmony.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts