Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19374 - 03/31/03 11:34 AM should i hold out??
cappy24 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: farmingville new york
was thinking of ordering the 950/770..was wondering if i should hold out for a possibly updated model?? anything in the works??

#19375 - 03/31/03 03:16 PM Re: should i hold out??
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
That’s a tough one as regards guessing wheter additional models such as an anticipated higher-end (and costlier pre) might be added into the current lineup. Since Outlaw took so much flak for releasing an announcement about the 950’s design after having repeated delays to doorstep. They have backed off from giving us timelines and peeks into what they have planned.

My feeling: the 950, MIGHT come with a different look at some point, which in addition might/or might not include upgraded features or user-interface. (that’s a big might - and to me even more when I consider that the platform of the 1050 has existed in its current state without an upgraded release for some time). Or could be, Outlaw will address that feedback (faceplate) from consumers with a completely separate and future model release. The 950’s been out (is it two years in May?) , and still has the latest SPM’s that some other manuf. have just added as upgrades in the last 12 months(in fact rather humourous for me to look back on, since the 950's 'delay' was labeled in some forums as causing it to be out-dated before its launch, and yet I still see models just being released (or projected) which are now trying to catch up to many of the 950 features.) So I think the model ‘950’ has legs and is a safe purchase. I am one that would have preferred knowing what Outlaw has projected, understanding that delays occur.
There has been ‘talk’ of a higher-end pre-pro being offered at some future date. I would guess that it’s presumably greater price tag, would still leave the 950 in its particular niche. There have been requests for Outlaw to consider an all-in-one receiver based on the 950 platform. I have no idea what Outlaw is considering or discarding as regards any of these possible paths.

If your budget is unlimited, you might wait for at least the next update from Outlaw to see if they indicate a ‘big brother’ to the 950 in the pipe, and that type product interests you. If budget is a consideration, than the 950 is and will continue to be highly desirable for the foreseeable future.

My “Guess’S” is the operative word here.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited April 01, 2003).]

#19376 - 03/31/03 03:53 PM Re: should i hold out??
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As Smart Little Lena points out, we won't likely hear about a newer model pre/pro until it is fairly close to shipping. Considering some of the things they've indicated they want to include in a "big brother" to the 950 (digital input for DVD-Audio and SACD with effective bass management for both, for example), the design process will take a while. A replacement for the 1050 is likely to be a higher priority (and probably one that will be quicker and easier to get to market), but even if it is a priority I'd guess it'll be a year or so. A slightly refined 950 could be a possibility, but I'd consider it to be a pretty slim possibility. I expect the 950 to be "it" for Outlaw for a good while. (Some food for thought: the 1050 is now several years old, and has not received any updates, even though something like Pro Logic II would be very popular.)

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#19377 - 03/31/03 04:21 PM Re: should i hold out??
TANGO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Jenison, MI, United States
Cappy24- JUST GET IT. Just got mine-love it.

Seems to me like waiting for the newest computer upgrade- you'd be waiting forever. Enjoy now- you won't be sorry.

------------------

#19378 - 04/01/03 11:46 AM Re: should i hold out??
cappy24 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: farmingville new york
heh heh...good answer tango!! i must have OCD or something because i always shoulda coulda woulda..

#19379 - 04/12/03 09:24 AM Re: should i hold out??
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
I forget: does the 950 have DPL II? If not, I'd hold off. I respect Outlaw products very much, but these days, I personally wouldn't even consider a pre/pro without DPL II. It's just too good and inexpensive of a technology not to implement.

Jeff

#19380 - 04/12/03 09:34 AM Re: should i hold out??
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by D'Arbignal:
I forget: does the 950 have DPL II?

Yes it does.

#19381 - 04/12/03 11:05 AM Re: should i hold out??
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Well, if it does have DPL II, I don't see any particular reason to wait. There's not a lot happening in terms of AV technology at the moment. Digital standards for DVD-A and SACD are in the works, but it doesn't look like they'll be here any time soon. I'd go for the 950 now, if I were he.

Jeff

#19382 - 04/12/03 11:52 PM Re: should i hold out??
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#19383 - 04/16/03 05:18 PM Re: should i hold out??
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Actually, Pioneer now offers a reciever (VSX-49TX) and DVD player (DV-47A) that do connect (proprietarily) digitally
Actually, it's not proprietary. It is an industry compliant Firewire connection from Texas Instruments that open for any company to license (if they want to).
Quote:
Pioneer is the only manufacturer currently (to my knowledge) at all concerned with this feature that is absolutely critical to proper DVD-A/SACD playback.
I think dCS and Sharp offer proprietary digital links for SACD, plus Sony has an upcoming SACD player that will digitally connect to a matching receiver. Also, Meridian and Denon both offer proprietary DVD-A connections.

Best,
Sanjay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts